• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ritchie Price story

Nice story in the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...33/1002/sports

Amid challenges, SDSU baseball coach Price finds calling

terry vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • May 14, 2009

Ritchie Price is just 24 years old. But he'll be hard pressed to have a more unique season for the rest of his career.

For starters, he is merely the interim baseball coach at South Dakota State, a temporary title that can undermine authority in the eyes of current players and potential recruits.

What's more, the team lost one of its top starting pitchers (Jared Koch) and its closer (Kirby Morsching) because of injury. Half of the regular position players had no NCAA Division I experience prior to this spring. The Jackrabbits also played all of their first 27 games on the road and mostly against quality programs, winning just five.

Yet, they are 16-5 since and 14-9 in Summit League play. They need just one win in a four game home series against Southern Utah (25-19, 14-4) this week to clinch a spot in the four-team conference tournament in their first year of eligibility. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Ritchie Price story

I met Ritchie in SF a few months ago and being a KU and SDSU fan, I recognized him right away. Great guy who continues the trend of former KU players becoming SDSU coaches. He had a great career at KU finishing as the career leader in hits, runs, games played, among others.

Dad Ritch had KU in the top 25 for awhile this year as they swept #1 Texas and #17 Okie State and took 2 of 3 from the Bugeaters (Nebraska), 2 of 3 from OU and went 2-0 vs. Witchita State (that'll show you Colemans!).

Ritchie will get the full time gig but probably won't be in Brookings long.

Comment

Working...
    X