Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion of "The Guidelines"

These aren't "rules." They are "guidelines."

Since there is occasionally some confusion as to proper behavior on this board, I decided to write up some guidelines for wise posters/members to follow in the future:

1. The people who run this board are fans/alumni/backers of South Dakota State University, especially the athletic programs of SDSU. The majority of posters here are also fans/alumni/backers/students of SDSU. This seems to come as a shock to some people. I'm not sure why.

2. Don't Piss Off The Bartender. See #1. Take this knowledge to heart. For those who have trouble following the analogy: Bartender = Moderator.

3. This Board Is Not About You. See #1. See #2. A really good way to piss off the bartenders is to act like you own the bar. Because you don't.

4. Do not smack in non-smack threads. I am continually amazed how many people don't seem to understand this simple concept.

5. Respect is not given, it is earned. This applies to posters every bit as much as it applies to athletic programs. Posters from other schools are generally given as much respect here as they give to SDSU and Jackrabbit fan-posters here.

6. Angry smack is not smack. It is anger. Anger is not pretty. The bartenders do not like angry posts. See #2.

7. The bartenders do not like egregious name-calling. Some of it may be allowed if it appears to be good-natured ribbing. The bartenders do not like it when name-calling gets out of hand. See #2.

8. We note that threads about USD tend to degenerate into either anger or silliness. The bartenders prefer silliness.

9. Using these guidelines to hit other people over the head is Not Cool. The bartenders like Cool. Strive to be Cool.

10. Using these guidelines to hit the bartenders over the head will get you banned really, really fast. See #3.

11. Complaining about "free speech" on this board will also get you banned really, really fast. If you want free speech, go start your own web site. We might even link to it.

12. The bartenders don't particularly care for posters dragging discussions from other boards or web sites onto this one, only partly because it isn't fair to the discussion participants on the other site. See #2.

13. Continually posting nonsensical, argumentative, or off-topic posts can make the bartenders unhappy--especially if we get complaints from the regular customers. On the other hand, some threads are born to go wildly off-topic. These threads are tolerated to the extent that they amuse the bartenders and the regular customers. See #8.

14. The bartenders don't watch every table (thread; post) every second of the day. Some of them actually have lives.

15. "You are a fluke of the Universe. You have no right to be here. And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back."

16. The bartenders like women's athletics. If you don't, keep it to yourself. See #2.

17. When in doubt, See #2.

There may be more guidelines forthcoming, as needed. Hope this helps.
    Have at it.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Discussion of "The Guidelines"

Is this a Pirates of the Caribbean thing?
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
      Is this a Pirates of the Caribbean thing?
      Not as such, no. Pirates are bad.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Not as such, no. Pirates are bad.
        More like "Cheers", but with a beefy bouncer.

Comment

One thing I'd think about adding is a definition for "smack." You say that you don't know people don't understand to stop and that could be because it isn't really clearly defined what is smack and what isn't. Some stuff you can get away with sometimes, and other times you can't get away with it.

Of course you could say it's up to how the moderators are feeling that day and who is doing the posting, but I think a lot of smack could be cleared up out of those threads if what is and isn't smack was clearly stated in there somewhere.

Just my $0.02.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Bring back bison8xchamp!

Im sad!!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              One thing I'd think about adding is a definition for "smack." You say that you don't know people don't understand to stop and that could be because it isn't really clearly defined what is smack and what isn't. Some stuff you can get away with sometimes, and other times you can't get away with it.

Of course you could say it's up to how the moderators are feeling that day and who is doing the posting, but I think a lot of smack could be cleared up out of those threads if what is and isn't smack was clearly stated in there somewhere.

Just my $0.02.
              Smack is when posters from other universities or colleges, or posters who are fans of other universities or colleges, make degrading comments about SDSU, its athletic programs or its fans on an SDSU board (or vice versa for other similar boards for other universities or colleges). Stuff you can get away with sometimes doesn't mean it isn't smack.

Smack smells like smack, looks like smack, and generally is smack. I'm hoping the moderators get tough on smack found in any thread, but the one entitled "Smack". I seldom post, and seldom look at the "Smack" thread because I have no interest in it. But I get really, really p.o.ed when an "outside" poster (defined above) smacks our school, our athletic programs, or our fans on the other ___ (insert #) threads NOT intended for "smack". This usually leads to angry bantering which pulls the thread apart and off track.

Comment

Just my $0.02.
                If you really feel that you need to walk so close to the smack line outside of the smack thread that you need that line so clearly defined, then, I think you pretty much miss the point and the spirit of this board.

Just my $0.02.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Smack smells like smack, looks like smack, and generally is smack.
                  That clears it up. Thanks.

Can you please describe something else for me. How about....bread?!

Bread smells like bread, looks like bread, and generally is bread.

You don't say?
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

ohh... we are all on a need to know basis here in bunny message board land!!!!!

bread is made from wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      If you really feel that you need to walk so close to the smack line outside of the smack thread that you need that line so clearly defined, then, I think you pretty much miss the point and the spirit of this board.

Just my $0.02.

Yes!

My $0.02 for Lakes. Feel free to come here and participate in Bunny land, your take is interesting at best. But always remember, nobody made you come here, it is a free country and if you don't like the rules go back to Bisonville. Oh wait...
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Can you please describe something else for me. How about....bread?!

Bread smells like bread, looks like bread, and generally is bread.

You don't say?
                        If you can't tell bread from bread, you probably can't tell smack from smack...but I find that hard to believe. BTW, this back and forth probably belongs in the smack section. See you there.

Comment

Just my $0.02.
                          I think filbert did an outstanding job with his guidelines. I would reference you to guidelines #1 and #2. Pay particular attention to #2. That should take care of any questions you might have.

Go State!

Comment

How about Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity?

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so.

But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that.

Comment

Or how about this:

"Smack": Content which a reasonable person, with knowledge of a situation, would consider intended primarily to insult.

Comment

Working...
                              X