Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centenary Men's BB banned from post-season

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20577/

Man -this is a BLOW to our weakest conference link.

Re: Centenary Men's BB banned from post-season

Not a big deal, save for the horrible press. Centenary was very likely not to be one of the 8 teams in Sioux Falls next year anyway. This just means that it's a 9-team race (for 8 spots) now....and UMKC still won't make it!

Comment

This plus the issues at UMKC are not good for the conference

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...D=200990506032

Don't know if that link has more info than the WDAY article....

Comment

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...+move+to+D-III

Apparently Centenary is STILL exploring their options. I know that Southland is their coveted conference, but the no football hurts their chances there. Sunbelt would not touch the smallest enrollment D-I with a 10 foot pole. Centenary won't be competitive in any schollie division, they're simply too small. Maybe in a non-schollie division they'd eke out a niche, especially in baseball. Times are tough, and the Summit is the best D-I fit they will find.
        Last edited by rabidrabbit; 06-03-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Honestly: Centenary fits the DIII profile an awful lot better than it fits in Division 1. This move wouldn't shock me at all. It'll shock me if they don't make the move. Not great news for us, but there are options out there.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

This does explain why the Summit moved so fast on USD, and I don't mean to say that it changed how they would have voted on USD. I am guessing that while they have not given the formal letter to the Summit on notice of leaving, they told Douple that the non-vote by the Trustees was NOT going to be the end of the issue.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              This does explain why the Summit moved so fast on USD, and I don't mean to say that it changed how they would have voted on USD. I am guessing that while they have not given the formal letter to the Summit on notice of leaving, they told Douple that the non-vote by the Trustees was NOT going to be the end of the issue.
              I don't think the USD membership is as much a tactical decision (to guard against Centenary or someone else leaving) as it is a strategic decision to create a backbone of strong, geographically related schools (with, yes, the R-word: rivalries) within the conference.

If they were looking at a school to defend against Centenary leaving they would be looking at one of the current D-I core schools in play--UTPA, Chicago State, and perhaps Denver, instead of USD (or UND). Neither one of the U's does the league much immediate good from a core/continuity standpoint, vs. a current D-I core. And, they probably are talking with those schools even now.

I would daresay that the Summit with the Dakota state schools in it would be much more attractive to a Denver than the old Mid-Con would have been, especially as message board rumors persist that the Sun Belt is gently pushing Denver towards the door.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

must be a sad day in south dakota.

all those CENTENERY fans in the 1st round vs NDSU that were wearing blue GOTTA be very sad.

who will they cheer for this year??

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post

all those CENTENERY fans in the 1st round vs NDSU that were wearing blue GOTTA be very sad.

With fans like you and posts like this, the chances of Anybody But NDSU grow steadily.

Is it about time to remind you that this board is Not About You?
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbison View Post

I was cheering for NDSU and I know several other people that were, too. I know a few of them where just as mad at some of the(drunk) NDSU fans as you sound with SDSU fans. No school has a fan base that will all agree. I like how NDSU and SDSU's Women have taken the conference by storm. It's tougher for the Men but both schools will get better.
                    As far as the article goes, if Centenary decided to leave the conference, how far are SDSU and NDSU out for being core members? They say that Centenary will be in the Conference for 2 more years, do they need 1 or 2 more before they qualify? I lost track but it has to be close, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I was cheering for NDSU and I know several other people that were, too. I know a few of them where just as mad at some of the(drunk) NDSU fans as you sound with SDSU fans. No school has a fan base that will all agree. I like how NDSU and SDSU's Women have taken the conference by storm. It's tougher for the Men but both schools will get better.
                      As far as the article goes, if Centenary decided to leave the conference, how far are SDSU and NDSU out for being core members? They say that Centenary will be in the Conference for 2 more years, do they need 1 or 2 more before they qualify? I lost track but it has to be close, right?
                      Nope. SDSU and NDSU count against the core/continuity member requirement seven more years down the road (or more, depending on how you're reading the NCAA bylaws).

Assuming you take the lower number of years (the 8 years it takes for the NCAA to consider a school a "core" D-I school), NDSU and SDSU have one of those eight years in the books for the Summit League, leaving 7 more years to go. Chop four of those off (two years Centenary stays in the conference, and two years of a grace period) and you're left with a three-year-long exposure for the conference where it can't afford any other member (except, oddly, SDSU, NDSU, and USD) to leave if it wants to keep the NCAA automatic bid for men's basketball.

Assuming Centenary hangs on for just two more years in the conference, and then given the two-year grace period the NCAA allows, then the Summit League is in the Danger Zone of not being able to afford any of the remaining members to leave for any reason (except, oddly, NDSU, SDSU, and USD) for the 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16 years until NDSU and SDSU become core institutions in 2016-17. If Centenary buys out after this next academic year 2009-10, then the problem just gets a little worse.

If they added UTPA, Denver, or Chicago State tomorrow, effective the 2010-11 season, the Summit would cut the window of exposure down to one year, 2013-14 before that institution will count in the core/continuity number (six core members, together for 5 years). USD does absolutely nothing for this particular little problem, which is why I think they're probably considered by the conference presidents as a strategic addition, not a tactical one for the league. (That should make our Coyote friends happy!)

I think I have this, (the optimistic scenario) straight. If not, Hammersmith will correct me (again!)

The pessimistic scenario adds five years to the window of vulnerability. Let's not go there.

The Summit can survive the loss of Centenary, but it starts getting a little too dicey for comfort, in the short term.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Refresh my memory, but I thought Lakes was banned the first time for smacking on a non-smack thread... or was I mistaken?
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                          Refresh my memory, but I thought Lakes was banned the first time for smacking on a non-smack thread... or was I mistaken?
                          You're probably right but when the post is the same every time - Bison unassailably awesome, everyone and everything else sucks - it doesn't really matter where it ends up on the board. Or am I mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I don't think the USD membership is as much a tactical decision (to guard against Centenary or someone else leaving) as it is a strategic decision to create a backbone of strong, geographically related schools (with, yes, the R-word: rivalries) within the conference.

If they were looking at a school to defend against Centenary leaving they would be looking at one of the current D-I core schools in play--UTPA, Chicago State, and perhaps Denver, instead of USD (or UND). Neither one of the U's does the league much immediate good from a core/continuity standpoint, vs. a current D-I core. And, they probably are talking with those schools even now.

I would daresay that the Summit with the Dakota state schools in it would be much more attractive to a Denver than the old Mid-Con would have been, especially as message board rumors persist that the Sun Belt is gently pushing Denver towards the door.
                            True, got cut off in last past (darn work) and didn't get to finish. I think that they moved quick on USD so as to show those schools that the loss of Centenary doesn't mean that the conference is falling apart, a perception thing for the other schools. If Cent goes, the conference can say hey we have a long term replacement in place already. I don't think that they were in any position to bring in Denver, Chicago State or UTPA in regards to approving them and knowing for sure they were going to accept. I believe the last two would, but with Denver the likely first choice, they wouldn't want to send an invite, get turned down, lose a member, and then quickly add USD while making offers to the other schools.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

USD and possibly UND is, as Filbert states so well above, a STRATEGIC move to create a conference with a strong spine of long term rivals.

For the CORE issue, UTPA, Chicago St., Denver, UNO (New Orleans) and other prior to 2002 move ups would be needed.

Lurking around the corner (2012-2013) is the anticipated split of the Big East conference, which is going to further shake things up.

Not that we fans get any say in who's invited to the Summit, but IMHO, I would not mind adding back in No. Colo. and Denver, and shed SUU and Centenary in 2014. Plus all 4 of the Dakota schools. That would make for a pretty respectable league, and the longest trip is Detroit to Denver.

Comment

Working...
                              X