Would anyone be interested.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone be interested.....

in proposing questions to a member of the football and basketball teams (possibly even a member of the coaching staff) and have them answer them for us to read here on sdsufans.com?

I have several ideas. Could even be a bi-weekly feature or could quite possibly even branch out to involve others players or coaches (I'm sure alot of people on here know people inside the athletic program). This site is marketed "of, by and for SDSU fans" so I thought it could be cool to have just fans submit questions. Would help us get to know the players better and vice-versa.

Give me your input....

Re: Would anyone be interested.....

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    in proposing questions to a member of the football and basketball teams (possibly even a member of the coaching staff) and have them answer them for us to read here on sdsufans.com?

I have several ideas. Could even be a bi-weekly feature or could quite possibly even branch out to involve others players or coaches (I'm sure alot of people on here know people inside the athletic program). This site is marketed "of, by and for SDSU fans" so I thought it could be cool to have just fans submit questions. Would help us get to know the players better and vice-versa.

Give me your input....
    As long as it's cleared through the Athletic Department, I have no problem with this. I'd even post the Q&A over on the blog side for posterity (and ease of reference for the future)--OR tutor the designated interviewer in how to post it over there. Doing it over on the non-discussion-board side of SDSUFans.com might make it easier for the Ath. Dept to agree to allow that kind of access.

And yeah, we're still not taking ads, so we're not (technically) competing with other media sources.

Heck, if they agree to accept the questions and then post the answers on GoJacks.com, that's cool too. It's ALL good.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Cool...as long as the athletic dept agrees, we can make it happen. I think it could be fun and a great opportunity for the fans and the people the fans root for to get to know each other. We just need the interest from the folks on here. I'm not going to push this if noone on here is interested. Just let me know....

Comment

I would like to run up a few red flags. First, who will be responsible for getting the questions to the athletes? The coaches? Will the coaches then be placed in an awkward position of having to make sure the athletes complete the exercise? Who will edit the responses? Most coaches will want to make sure his/her athletes come off in a credible way. Also, I'm assuming you are desiring information from coaches and athletes who would be currently "in season." As most coaches and teams would be extremely busy during those times, I'm afraid this exercise would be one more thing for coaches to worry about.

The reason why the sports information office exists (Jason Hove, et al) is to take care of these types of matters. And, they are extremely busy, too.

I appreciate your desire for information, especially from unique perspectives. The easy part will be posing the questions. The devil is in the details.

Comment

Cowbell - The reason I brought this up is b/c of the players I know, who have already told me they would do something like this. And, I know there are other people on here who know people we'd be interested to hear from and they could do the same thing....also.....through the people I/we know we could branch out and have them ask their friends/teammates if they would be interested in taking a few minutes to do the same. It would be as easy as I could make it. People would email me questions and I would take the best of those questions and email them to the player(s) for them to respond to at their convenience. That seems simple enough.

Now, whether the athletic department would approve of this, whether they would want to monitor all questions and answers, whether coaches want their kids participating at all, that's where it could get sticky. If any of that is the case then I would back off. Just an idea and certainly not something I'm hellbent on making happen.

Comment

I'd say the best way would be to work through Jason Hove and the SID staff.

I will have a problem with board members just deciding on their own to approach the athletes or the coaches with "20 Questions" or whatever. That's what the SID people are for, after all.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would be quite surprsied if any Coach would even admit to ever browsing through this message board. They have enough to do already.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                I would be quite surprsied if any Coach would even admit to ever browsing through this message board. They have enough to do already.
                Nagy told me he deliberately avoids the fan boards and I'm pretty sure he suggests the same to the players. I sure don't expect that they read the board.

I'm pretty darn sure Stig doesn't spend anymore time than he has to on the internet.

I think it would be interesting to pursue what Tea suggested as long as it doesn't inconvenience the players or coaches.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I will have a problem with board members just deciding on their own to approach the athletes or the coaches with "20 Questions" or whatever. That's what the SID people are for, after all.
                  I agree. But like I said earlier the people I had in mind are people that I know and are cool with the idea.

I'll get ahold of Hove and go from there....

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Nagy told me he deliberately avoids the fan boards and I'm pretty sure he suggests the same to the players. I sure don't expect that they read the board.
                    That sounds about right. If I were a coach, I wouldn't want my players on the 'net. Dang few players, I expect, would be able to keep internet chatter in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      That sounds about right. If I were a coach, I wouldn't want my players on the 'net. Dang few players, I expect, would be able to keep internet chatter in perspective.
                      Dang few board members keep the chatter in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                        Dang few board members keep the chatter in perspective.
                        exactly! yours truly included, from time to time....

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

I'm pretty darn sure Stig doesn't spend anymore time than he has to on the internet.

I think it would be interesting to pursue what Tea suggested as long as it doesn't inconvenience the players or coaches.
                          I remember reading an article where Coach Nagy told his players to not pay attention or read what is posted on the threads. I have a hard time thinking he would agree to have his players asked questions for the forum and not think the players would come here and read what else people are saying. Maybe I'm wrong.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I know Coach Stig has a web site devoted to Ask The Coach over on the offical website. I think if some of us are so full of questions and leaning and stretching to suck up reaction, maybe we should use these venues to do so. This board is intended to be fan to fan discussion and really should not involve coaches and players unless they request to be part of it and perhaps in their best interests they do not want to be part of it. I like things just as they are right now. So I guess you might put me down as not interested.

Comment

Fair enough.

How about I hide behind a dumpster outside of Frost and jump out to surprise Nagy and ask him a few hard hitting questions Bill O'Reilly style?

Comment

Working...
                              X