Howard Wood results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Wood results

Check the Argus for results but some impressive ones from Friday night including
    Luke Leischner, Freshman 400m, won the 400 in :48.76 which includes battling a strong wind down the backstretch (Luke's dad, Ron, was a jumper for the Jackrabbits in the early 70s and his sister, Lauren, was one of the Jack cheerleaders before graduating last year and going on to grad school).
    Ben Jasinski, outstanding jumper, won the triple jump in 51 feet, 3 inches, so smash the record by nearly a foot. He's already qualified for the NCAA Regional (48+). That's huge. The jump was 'wind-legal' too...just a cross wind.
    Freshman Mike Krsnak won the 5000 with a good 14:49.75. Nice time in wind conditions.
    Heather Wollman won the women's 400m in 55.9, another outstanding time in the bad wind.
    Lots of other good Jackrabbit efforts in getting other places.

Re: Howard Wood results

HUGE NEWS:
    (I haven't seen official results...this is from a phone report but very reliable and knowledgeable person): Cam Helder and Ben Jasinski BOTH cleared 7 foot, one-quarter inch in the high jump at Howard Wood this afternoon. It appears Helder gets the "win" based on misses. They both tried for the Howard Wood record of 7-2.25 but missed (not by much).

The crowd was electrified...the high school kids were all gathered around...can't buy that kind of publicity.

The SDSU Men just won the 4 x 400 in about 3:16, beating NDSU by two seconds.

The SDSU Women got nipped by a step in the 4 x 400 by NDSU (anchored by Laura Hermanson, the fabulous middle-distrance runner for NDSU who has been running some great 800s....prediction: we'll get them at the conference. Heather Wollman and the others are just too competitive.)

GREAT DAY FOR THE SDSU TRACK AND FIELD TEAMS.

Comment

Just a foot note JJD to two good posts (and thanks for today, because I went last night, but not today):

Ben Jacinski's triple jump of more than 51 feet exceeds the qualification distance for the US Nationals! So while he qualified for NCAA he is also headed to the nationals, which will take him to Oregon in June. That is huge new!!! Go Ben.

And CONGRATULATIONS to Cam Helder. He had told me he was going to get that 7-foot jump and he did. Outstanding!

Comment

Nick Schanaman ran a regional qualifying time of 14.24s in the 110m hurdles which eclipses the 14.3s qualifying standard and is the best time in the conference to my knowledge. Teammate Andrew Duitsman just missed running side by side with Nick but lost a step late in the race running a 14.45s.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          HUGE NEWS:
          (I haven't seen official results...this is from a phone report but very reliable and knowledgeable person): Cam Helder and Ben Jasinski BOTH cleared 7 foot, one-quarter inch in the high jump at Howard Wood this afternoon. It appears Helder gets the "win" based on misses. They both tried for the Howard Wood record of 7-2.25 but missed (not by much).

The crowd was electrified...the high school kids were all gathered around...can't buy that kind of publicity.

The SDSU Men just won the 4 x 400 in about 3:16, beating NDSU by two seconds.

The SDSU Women got nipped by a step in the 4 x 400 by NDSU (anchored by Laura Hermanson, the fabulous middle-distrance runner for NDSU who has been running some great 800s....prediction: we'll get them at the conference. Heather Wollman and the others are just too competitive.)

GREAT DAY FOR THE SDSU TRACK AND FIELD TEAMS.
          Can Helder and Jasinski dribble a basketball? Speaking of which how is Jared Vlastuin doing?

Comment

My first report on the high jumpers was based on a phone call from a guy who watched it. The Argus Leader is reporting Cam and Ben each set a meet record at 7 feet, one-half inch, beating the old record of 7 feet, one-quarter inch. They tried to get the stadium record of 7 feet, 2.25 inches.

A little perspective. Most schools do not have one 7-foot high jumper. Very, very few have two.

Comment

Failed to mention that Ben Jasinski not only won the triple jump and placed second with a 7.25 foot high jump, but he also won the long jump (I think his jump was 22 feet, 9.25 inches). What a weekend for Ben! A guy like that may be one we'll read about as a decathalete at the next Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Failed to mention that Ben Jasinski not only won the triple jump and placed second with a 7.25 foot high jump, but he also won the long jump (I think his jump was 22 feet, 9.25 inches). What a weekend for Ben! A guy like that may be one we'll read about as a decathalete at the next Olympics.
                Well, if you see him throwing the javelin, he very well might be going for it.

Comment

Good report on the high jump in today's Argus by Mick Garry (also notes "Overall it was a solid day for the SDSU track programs"). LINK

Comment

Working...
                  X