Interesting NDSU stats....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting NDSU stats....

The Bison played 33 games last year. In 32 of those games their high point scorer was a senior and won't be back next year. Only one returning player (Tviedt) led them in scoring and that was for one game (vs. Oakland at the Arena).

Also, in those 33 games, the Bison were led in rebounding by a senior in 28 of those games.

Woodside 23.2 6 apg 3.2 rpg 1.3 stpg (33 starts - 34.5 minutes per game)
    Winkleman 18.6 7.5 rpg 1.2 stpg (33 starts - 33.0 mpg)
    Nelson 11.6 ppg 4.2 rpg 2.1 apg (33 starts - 31.4 mpg)
    Moorman 4.5 ppg 4.0 rpg 0.8 stpg (33 starts - 20.3 mpg)
    Riley 1.1 ppg 1.1 rpg (3.8 mpg)

Total:
    59.0 ppg - team average: 80.6
    18.1 rpg - team average: 35.5
    9.3 apg -
    4.3 steals pg

*Woodside, Winkleman and Nelson made a combined 167 3-pointers.
    *They return one guy who averaged more than 3.6 ppg and noone who averaged more than 3.3 rpg.
    *They had one frosh or soph average more than 11 minutes a game (Tviedt) and only had 3 frosh or soph total on the active roster.

The Bison faithful talk about finishing top 5, about their young talent and even about making a run at another NCAA tournament. Maybe they do have a solid recruiting class and some promising redshirted players, but man do they lose alot. On top of that, they'll graduate 4 more seniors next year. So Bison fans, tell me how crazy I am and how a bunch of new, inexperienced players not named Tviedt or Carlson are going to step in and put you above .500....

Re: Interesting NDSU stats....

Players need minutes to improve, those seniors you talked about ate up a lot of those minutes, I suppose the big hope is that the six redshirt juniors and seniors can develop rather quickly when becoming a bigger piece of the puzzle. I think guys like Vaughan and Coleman could really come into their own with minutes. Throw in a guy like Lundberg who people are high on and who knows what could happen. NDSU going to the big dance is probably pretty far-fetched but NDSU finishing anywhere from 3rd to 6th isn't. NDSU wasn't the only team that lost a lot last year.

I do like NDSU's incoming recruits, especially Zastrow, but I don't expect true freshmen to have a huge impact right away. I think NDSU has only had one player that could step on the court from high school and make an impact(Ben Woodside). If they suprise me that is great, but I won't expect it.
    Last edited by FargoBison; 05-02-2009, 01:04 AM.

Comment

I for one am not going to sell the Bison short. Things could fall into place quickly. I think Fargo Bison is correct in mentioning that certain players have not had minutes that they might have gotten somewhere else. Plus they have a good coaching staff. The Senior dominated stats really dont tell the whole story. Like everyother school NDSU has to play the games to find out what they are about.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
        The Bison played 33 games last year. In 32 of those games their high point scorer was a senior and won't be back next year. Only one returning player (Tviedt) led them in scoring and that was for one game (vs. Oakland at the Arena).

Also, in those 33 games, the Bison were led in rebounding by a senior in 28 of those games.

Woodside 23.2 6 apg 3.2 rpg 1.3 stpg (33 starts - 34.5 minutes per game)
        Winkleman 18.6 7.5 rpg 1.2 stpg (33 starts - 33.0 mpg)
        Nelson 11.6 ppg 4.2 rpg 2.1 apg (33 starts - 31.4 mpg)
        Moorman 4.5 ppg 4.0 rpg 0.8 stpg (33 starts - 20.3 mpg)
        Riley 1.1 ppg 1.1 rpg (3.8 mpg)

Total:
        59.0 ppg - team average: 80.6
        18.1 rpg - team average: 35.5
        9.3 apg -
        4.3 steals pg

*Woodside, Winkleman and Nelson made a combined 167 3-pointers.
        *They return one guy who averaged more than 3.6 ppg and noone who averaged more than 3.3 rpg.
        *They had one frosh or soph average more than 11 minutes a game (Tviedt) and only had 3 frosh or soph total on the active roster.

The Bison faithful talk about finishing top 5, about their young talent and even about making a run at another NCAA tournament. Maybe they do have a solid recruiting class and some promising redshirted players, but man do they lose alot. On top of that, they'll graduate 4 more seniors next year. So Bison fans, tell me how crazy I am and how a bunch of new, inexperienced players not named Tviedt or Carlson are going to step in and put you above .500....

Well this isn't a big secret as 4 out of 5 Starters were Seniors!!
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I'm not selling the Bison short at the beginning of the year and expect that as they gain experience playing together, the team in the Summit tournament will be much improved from the one that opens the season. I do think that we should beat them at home and in the tournament, up there will be a much more difficult task.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

It is going to be fun to see how things play out at both XXSU's next year. They are going to be almost complete opposites of each other.

One thing NDSU will be next year is young and inexperienced. They have a great player in Thveidt that should be a good leader and some talented people that will see substantial playing time for the first time. They should certainly be riding a wave of confidence from the last couple of years. Those young players have seen what it takes to be succesful from a very talented bunch of seniors.

For the first time since entering D1 SDSU is going to have a team filled with upperclassmen. Obviously, we haven't had a lot of success but this will easily be the best team we have put on the floor at the D1 level. They will be more athletic, deeper, and very versatile. The talent is there. They just need to be able to believe in themselves and find a way to win those tight games.

Completely different scenarios at each school. Which school will have the better record?

Obviously, my hope is SDSU restores the order against NDSU and once again starts to dominate the Bison like we did at the D2 level.

I can't wait for the season next year. Its going to be a lot of fun!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

A lot of question marks on that team so it's hard to even estimate where they will finish. They have to count on a lot of players who they haven't seen play, besides maybe an exhibition game (Lundberg, Nagel, Felt, Aaberg, Zastrow), and the rest of the players, besides tveidt, are all role players who never really in the games I saw showed any ability to be more than role players. I mean there solid players but I can't see Coleman, Vaughn, or Flowers scoring more than 10 a game consistently.

# times player scored in double figures last year

Flowers 2 (13, 10)
              Vaugn 0
              Coleman 1 (11)
              Carlson 2 (12, 10)

And then there is Tveidt, who benefitted from being the third best player and now will be counted on every night to put up big numbers. He averaged 9.8pts/3.3reb/.8a , not exactly superstar numbers, especially when you factor in he only shoots 60% from the FT and only scored over 15pts 4 times. (23, 19, 17, 21).

I'm not saying the Bison won't be solid, it's just that it's a team that really has alot of ?'s and alot of things have to go right for them to be in the top 4 of the summit.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                It is going to be fun to see how things play out at both XXSU's next year. They are going to be almost complete opposites of each other.

One thing NDSU will be next year is young and inexperienced. They have a great player in Thveidt that should be a good leader and some talented people that will see substantial playing time for the first time. They should certainly be riding a wave of confidence from the last couple of years. Those young players have seen what it takes to be succesful from a very talented bunch of seniors.

For the first time since entering D1 SDSU is going to have a team filled with upperclassmen. Obviously, we haven't had a lot of success but this will easily be the best team we have put on the floor at the D1 level. They will be more athletic, deeper, and very versatile. The talent is there. They just need to be able to believe in themselves and find a way to win those tight games.

Completely different scenarios at each school. Which school will have the better record?

Obviously, my hope is SDSU restores the order against NDSU and once again starts to dominate the Bison like we did at the D2 level.

I can't wait for the season next year. Its going to be a lot of fun!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                SDSU will never be what NDSU was this past season. NEVER. why do you guys think that a bunch of first year starters can't win??

and aout sdsu "restoring order against ndsu"....NDSU leads the all-time series 105 - 93. so what dominance?

Comment

Originally posted by bison8xchamp View Post
                  SDSU will never be what NDSU was this past season. NEVER. why do you guys think that a bunch of first year starters can't win??

and aout sdsu "restoring order against ndsu"....NDSU leads the all-time series 105 - 93. so what dominance?
                  Geez, you Bison fans are touchy lately.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here. Really! BTW-never is a long time! That is the same as saying your women will never do what SDSU's did this year. They were both special, let's leave it at that.

If you read the post a little more carefully you will notice I didn't say anything about NDSU not being able to win with the new players. I think they will take and build off of this year and be a very solid team.

My comments were pointing towards the fact that NDSU has had succes over the last few years but are going to be inexperienced next year versus a Jackrabbit team that will be very experienced but that experience has been over some tough years. Which one will prevail?

As for restore the order, Nagy owned NDSU at the D2 level and I think that will start to return back to our advantage next year. Hats off for looking up the complete history!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    Geez, you Bison fans are touchy lately.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here. Really! BTW-never is a long time! That is the same as saying your women will never do what SDSU's did this year. They were both special, let's leave it at that.

If you read the post a little more carefully you will notice I didn't say anything about NDSU not being able to win with the new players. I think they will take and build off of this year and be a very solid team.

My comments were pointing towards the fact that NDSU has had succes over the last few years but are going to be inexperienced next year versus a Jackrabbit team that will be very experienced but that experience has been over some tough years. Which one will prevail?

As for restore the order, Nagy owned NDSU at the D2 level and I think that will start to return back to our advantage next year. Hats off for looking up the complete history!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    sorry for being pissy. i'm just sick of all the "oh we are going to go 20-0 or 17-3 in conference play next year" and "oh NDSU is going to suck so bad..they will be in last place of the summitt"

and i never ever compared NDSU's women to sdsu's women...so i don't know why that was brought up.

Comment

SDSU will never be what NDSU was this past season. NEVER.
                      You don't think we can get to 26-7.......ever? That's understandable, I never thought a group of local girls could reach #14 in the nation and miss going to the Sweet 16 by a couple refs....er points. You had a great year but were still 1 jumper away from not going to the Big Dance, where you lost in the first round despite having a homecourt-type advantage and playing a young rebuilding team. ***Don't think for a second I didn't admire what NDSU did and root for you the whole time***

I think I'm pretty rational and realistic but I think we could have a chance at a 26 win season some year. Hey, we play in the Summit, not the Big XII. For us to win 26 we'd have to win 23 regular season games, and all three in the Summit tourney. That would put our regular season record somewhere around 23-7, 14-4 in conference and 9-3 non conference. That's very doable.

We've brought in 4 solid recruits and have a couple more on the way. IF we continue to add quality kids the next couple years we could be very good in, say, 3 years? 26 wins good? Possibly.

Comment

sorry for being pissy. i'm just sick of all the "oh we are going to go 20-0 or 17-3 in conference play next year" and "oh NDSU is going to suck so bad..they will be in last place of the summitt"
                        We had one guy say 20-0 in conference and I don't think I saw anyone predict you'd be last. But I get the point.

I've been over on Bisonville and see some of your folks acting like last year was and/or is going to be the norm for your program. People talking about how the heck could Wolters choose SDSU over NDSU, etc. So ya, I hear where you're coming from.

I lived in Crookston for 5 years, so I'm familiar w/ your people and your program. One of my closest friends was the NDSU team host at the Summit and had nothing but great things to say the Bison and Saul. So this isn't meant to smack your Bison, who have all my respect. I hope all you guys that come ove here feel welcome and I appreciate having another teams fans perspective. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by bison8xchamp View Post
                          "oh we are going to go 20-0 or 17-3 in conference play next year" and "oh NDSU is going to suck so bad..they will be in last place of the summitt"
                          1) It's an 18 game conference season.

2) The guy that said '17-1' was being sarcastic. He spent all last season clamoring for Nagy's job.

3) Nobody said NDSU would finish in last place.

4) You're on an SDSU board. Go to Bisonville if you want NDSU praised sky high. It ain't gonna happen here.

BTW: If you want to leave me more negative rep, you'll have to give some positive rep to someone else. I'd suggest Lakes Bison. He could use it.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            1) It's an 18 game conference season.

2) The guy that said '17-1' was being sarcastic. He spent all last season clamoring for Nagy's job.

3) Nobody said NDSU would finish in last place.

4) You're on an SDSU board. Go to Bisonville if you want NDSU praised sky high. It ain't gonna happen here.

BTW: If you want to leave me more negative rep, you'll have to give some positive rep to someone else. I'd suggest Lakes Bison. He could use it.

FYI zoo we have the same from bunny land on Bisonville, there are threads over there I started reading and thought I was actually on this board
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                              FYI zoo we have the same from bunny land on Bisonville, there are threads over there I started reading and thought I was actually on this board
                              We would've had that (maybe) when it came to the NDSU MBB season, except some board members would derail any positive talk about the Bison MBB team into a 'fire Nagy!!!!!!!!!' argument.

FWIW, the next couple years will show if NDSU is going to have a lengthy hangover from this season. It -could- happen.

OTOH, the Summit is weak enough that you've got to be pretty genuinely bad to miss the tournament.....

Comment

Working...
                              X