New Provost hired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Provost hired

From President Chicoine: "Laurie Nichols, interim president at Northern State University, will serve as the next provost and vice president for academic affairs at South Dakota State University. As most of you know, she has been dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences here since 1994 and has been on leave from her SDSU appointment while leading Northern State. The appointment takes effect July 1."

Now my opinion: Provost-designate Nichols is a solid choice for SDSU. She has a record of distinction as an administrator, and (this is important) already knows the university so she can hit the ground running.

Congratulations to Provost-designate Nichols.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: New Provost hired

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    From President Chicoine: "Laurie Nichols, interim president at Northern State University, will serve as the next provost and vice president for academic affairs at South Dakota State University. As most of you know, she has been dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences here since 1994 and has been on leave from her SDSU appointment while leading Northern State. The appointment takes effect July 1."

Now my opinion: Provost-designate Nichols is a solid choice for SDSU. She has a record of distinction as an administrator, and (this is important) already knows the university so she can hit the ground running.

Congratulations to Provost-designate Nichols.
    I second JJ's endorsement.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

For those who haven't worked at a university, let me explain why this is such a big deal. It's not "just" another vice president. Ultimately, the provost is the person responsible for maintaining the integrity of the university's primary mission, educating students. That responsibility involves basically everything related to academics at the university. The provost oversees the deans who oversee the departments who oversee the faculty. Provost-designate Nichols will be the steward of all academics at SDSU for years to come. So getting a new provost is really a major milestone in the life of a university. Really, the provost is the second most important and powerful person at any university, after the president.

I think all three candidates were strong, and I'm excited (as a professor involved in that academic mission) to see what kinds of new approaches and ideas Provost Nichols will bring to a very big and very important job.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        For those who haven't worked at a university, let me explain why this is such a big deal. It's not "just" another vice president. Ultimately, the provost is the person responsible for maintaining the integrity of the university's primary mission, educating students. That responsibility involves basically everything related to academics at the university. The provost oversees the deans who oversee the departments who oversee the faculty. Provost-designate Nichols will be the steward of all academics at SDSU for years to come. So getting a new provost is really a major milestone in the life of a university. Really, the provost is the second most important and powerful person at any university, after the president.

I think all three candidates were strong, and I'm excited (as a professor involved in that academic mission) to see what kinds of new approaches and ideas Provost Nichols will bring to a very big and very important job.
        Thanks JJ. I was not sure what the title meant. Carol Peterson seem to always come across in an assertive manner and seemed pushy, but I think I understand why now.
        I had no idea what her role was at SDSU, other than being part of the administration.

Comment

Working...
        X