The Collegian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Collegian

I receive and read The Collegian each week. The improvement in the newspaper, compared to a few years ago, is remarkable. It's an excellent way to keep up on news about the campus that isn't making its way into the regular media channels.

A few years ago, I thought The Collegian was a total wreck. I'll never forget the embarassing "column" (?) written by a female student who was a regular columnist, on the subject of oral sex. Sure, I understood college-aged newspaper columnists have to sometimes show how independent etc. they are by writing a 'slap-in-your-face' column once in a while but that one was beyond bad. It was poorly written and had no redeeming value whatsoever. In a word, it was idiotic. Unfortunately, the editorial content of The Collegian at that time was so bad that the inclusion of the column was no surprise.

Not today. The editors and writers are reporting news and, while the topics selected by the columnists are typical college fare and may not be of great interest to alums, there is no question the paper is worth reading. The writing (sentence structure, grammar, punctuation etc.), with just a few slipups, is at least good and often runs from very good to excellent.

The Collegian has been around since 1885. It has won many awards over the years. The students running the paper now are doing a good job.

Members of this message board should consider subscribing to the paper.

Re: The Collegian

Great idea, I would like to subscribe. Can you provide a link? I have the web address here:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/home/

I found some other info:

Contact Information:
    Telephone: (605) 688-6164
    Fax: (605) 688-6165
    Mailing Address: The Collegian
    1023 Student Center Ln
    USU 069 Box 2815
    Brookings , SD 57007
    Circulation: 4,300
    Yearly Subscription: $30
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Looks like you have the right info, Doc.

Comment

As a former editor of the Collegian, I join JJD in his embarassment over the state of the newspaper in the recent past. A couple of things happened to turn the paper around.

1) A group of Collegian alums raised some money to help bring up equipment to modern standards and provide it some seed money.

2) The university hired an advisor. The first one was Sherry Bordewyk, who now works for the Foundation, and she gets great kudos for doing a terrific job to turn things around. When she left, Susan Smith, an employee of the S. D. Newspaper Association, took over and she has kept things going on an even keel.

It is, indeed, a newspaper to be proud of once again.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words about the Collegian JackJD. I felt that this semester we kept getting better each week, while we are still learning the process of working at a newspaper we are growing into it. I think the groundwork has been laid for a very, very good year next year.

Comment

Good luck Mango. I enjoy the paper too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              As a former editor of the Collegian, I join JJD in his embarassment over the state of the newspaper in the recent past. A couple of things happened to turn the paper around.

1) A group of Collegian alums raised some money to help bring up equipment to modern standards and provide it some seed money.

2) The university hired an advisor. The first one was Sherry Bordewyk, who now works for the Foundation, and she gets great kudos for doing a terrific job to turn things around. When she left, Susan Smith, an employee of the S. D. Newspaper Association, took over and she has kept things going on an even keel.

It is, indeed, a newspaper to be proud of once again.
              One other addition for that list: A very talented journalism student, Jeremy Fugelberg, who was then fresh from an internship at the Argus Leader, took over as editor at the same time Sherry came on board, redesigned the paper (they still use his design today) and put his staff to work doing excellent journalism. Jeremy was the editor who took on the Board of Regents over their decision to exclude media from the public appearances of the candidates for SDSU president (and won). And the paper, under Jeremy, won a whole heap of awards.

You can't overstate how important it is for student journalists to have examples like the one Jeremy provided to build on. Jeremy has since graduated and is a reporter with the Rapid City Journal. Brandon Van Westen did a great job as editor this year, and next year another excellent journalism student, Amy Poppinga, will be editor of the Collegian. They have a good staff returning, and I think it is fair to say working for the Collegian is "cool" again, thanks to some good leadership.

I'm very proud of what those students have accomplished, with the help of a couple of great advisors, first Sherry and now Susan.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                One other addition for that list: A very talented journalism student, Jeremy Fugelberg, who was then fresh from an internship at the Argus Leader, took over as editor at the same time Sherry came on board, redesigned the paper (they still use his design today) and put his staff to work doing excellent journalism. Jeremy was the editor who took on the Board of Regents over their decision to exclude media from the public appearances of the candidates for SDSU president (and won). And the paper, under Jeremy, won a whole heap of awards.

You can't overstate how important it is for student journalists to have examples like the one Jeremy provided to build on. Jeremy has since graduated and is a reporter with the Rapid City Journal. Brandon Van Westen did a great job as editor this year, and next year another excellent journalism student, Amy Poppinga, will be editor of the Collegian. They have a good staff returning, and I think it is fair to say working for the Collegian is "cool" again, thanks to some good leadership.

I'm very proud of what those students have accomplished, with the help of a couple of great advisors, first Sherry and now Susan.
                I think you nailed it JJ, they are all very passionate about the newspaper and want it to be the best it can be.

Comment

Thanks for fleshing out the story JJ...just like on our teams, the coaches help...but the students do the work! I won't say she was lucky, but I know Sherry Bordewyk was thankful that she had a student with Jeremy's abilities to take over and get things on a sharp trend upward.

Comment

When I started this thread and commented that members of the message board should consider subscribing, I wasn't just patting the staff and advisers on the back. Case in point: My wife and I were walking/jogging this morning and just talking. Several of the conversation points originated from this week's Collegian...news items we would not have known about had we not read the Collegian.

Comment

Working...
                    X