Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU/USD Share Open Date in 2010

From the Argus

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: SDSU/USD Share Open Date in 2010

Looks like if the Yotes want to come to Brookings in 2010 and 2011 for cash then we might have a deal. Works for me.

Comment

Yep, I'm with you LakeJack. If the U will go for trips to Brookings in 2010 and 2011 then bring it on.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
        Yep, I'm with you LakeJack. If the U will go for trips to Brookings in 2010 and 2011 then bring it on.
        I agree. USD is a counter this year, the game would sell out, and it would help begin to renew our rivalry.

Comment

If it helps in the quest for playoffs and the long term advancement of OUR program do it. I'll trust the decision of those much more involved with the program to make the right decision.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If we can get the first two games at home than let's do it. Also makes sense as we won't have the big gate of NDSU in 2010 and we don't draw well late in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              If we can get the first two games at home than let's do it. Also makes sense as we won't have the big gate of NDSU in 2010 and we don't draw well late in the season.
              Agreed. Nov. 20th, it might be awfully chilly in Brookings.

That said, I think the key is that it must be in our best interest as 1stRow said. Hard to argue against Meierkort's logistics points. I would have to agree with him on that, but again what's best for SDSU is the most important factor.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Best not to think of a game on November 20 with USD as a guaranteed big gate game. Too many factors to consider with that.
                1. Weather is a HUGE factor.
                2. History - late November games rarely provide good gate, no matter who the opponent.
                3. Season records - either team have a down year and the gate will not be good.
                4. It's post Hobo Day - history shows after Hobo Day attendance drops off.
                5. USD does NOT guarantee a good gate, period. Fact is we are many years removed from playing them last. Not one single traditional student on campus has seen SDSU play USD in football nor do they know the history of the series to be that drawn in. Also, many fans have moved on so there's no guarantee they'll care as much as they have in the past. Even when the "rivalry" was still going late season games against USD did not draw well.
                6. Did I mention the weather.
                Just my take on it. I could care less who SDSU plays on that date as long as it's a game that counts toward post season consideration.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  Not one single traditional student on campus has seen SDSU play USD in football nor do they know the history of the series to be that drawn in.
                  *Raises hand*
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm all for playing USD in Brookings twice.

The RCJ has an article on this subject today:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...7875079599.txt

Meirekort's thoughts below...does he honestly believe the Great West is a tougher conference than the MVC? Sounds like he may be reading the board????

“We wouldn’t be opposed to the move and playing some natural rivals,” USD head football coach Ed Meierkort said. “But if you look at the power rankings the Great West ranked higher than the Missouri Valley last year.”

Meierkort said he would love to renew the rivalry with SDSU.

“I think it is gross negligence by both schools that we don’t play each other,” he said. “Most other states settle their rivalries on the field, but unfortunately we settle ours over the Internet.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post

Meirekort's thoughts below...does he honestly believe the Great West is a tougher conference than the MVC? Sounds like he may be reading the board????

“We wouldn’t be opposed to the move and playing some natural rivals,” USD head football coach Ed Meierkort said. “But if you look at the power rankings the Great West ranked higher than the Missouri Valley last year.”

“I think it is gross negligence by both schools that we don’t play each other,” he said. “Most other states settle their rivalries on the field, but unfortunately we settle ours over the Internet.”
                      The problem with conference power rankings is that conferences don't play each other--schools do. Meierkort is essentially taking credit for Cal Poly's strength last year.

Take Cal Poly out of the GWFC and you have a bunch of basically mediocre teams. Take MVFC champion Northern Iowa out and you still have a very strong league. On the other hand, Indiana State was an epically bad team last year.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post

Meierkort has wanted to play SDSU since he came to USD, and he truly is a gamer. My brother (an SDSU alum), who use to umpire Meierkort's son's games, use to tease him about how State would mop up the U if they played in football during the transition, and I don't want to quote him directly since its a secondary source, but Ed said something along the line of; we'd play them any time, any where if they would schedule us.

Of course there were legitimate reasons for both sides to end the rivalry and they were made before (or right as) Meierkort took over at USD, so Ed never got his say in ending the series in the first place. For people who aren't aware of this, Meierkort was a graduate assistant at SDSU during the 1983 season and received his master's from here in '87, so he is well aware of what the rivalry once was.

I personally think USD is extremely lucky to have this guy at the helm of their football program, as he not only won't back down from a challenge, but he challenge everyone around him to be the best they can be.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          Best not to think of a game on November 20 with USD as a guaranteed big gate game. Too many factors to consider with that.
                          1. Weather is a HUGE factor.
                          2. History - late November games rarely provide good gate, no matter who the opponent.
                          3. Season records - either team have a down year and the gate will not be good.
                          4. It's post Hobo Day - history shows after Hobo Day attendance drops off.
                          5. USD does NOT guarantee a good gate, period. Fact is we are many years removed from playing them last. Not one single traditional student on campus has seen SDSU play USD in football nor do they know the history of the series to be that drawn in. Also, many fans have moved on so there's no guarantee they'll care as much as they have in the past. Even when the "rivalry" was still going late season games against USD did not draw well.
                          6. Did I mention the weather.
                          Just my take on it. I could care less who SDSU plays on that date as long as it's a game that counts toward post season consideration.
                          if the students are from south dakota, they probably know about the rivalry, dont you think. my son saw one sdsu/usd football while attending school there. but he saw others before he went to sdsu because i would go. they read newspapers, im sure they know about the rivalry, even if it hasnt happened while theyve been in school.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            if the students are from south dakota, they probably know about the rivalry, dont you think. my son saw one sdsu/usd football while attending school there. but he saw others before he went to sdsu because i would go. they read newspapers, im sure they know about the rivalry, even if it hasnt happened while theyve been in school.
                            Exactly. Any student growing up in South Dakota that casually followed sports knows it used to be a rivalry. I grew up going to essentially every single USD game and even my friends that didn't really follow sports still knew the USD-SDSU games were a big deal. Plus, like I said in another thread and someone else mentioned, most people here have a ton of friends going to USD.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

To balance things out, that means 2 consecutive trips to Vermillion.

Why?

Because I don't think you want the USD & NDSU home games in the same season.

Comment

Working...
                              X