SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

All right, USD is joining the Summit and the State-U rivalry will soon rise from the ashes like the phoenix. The next step in relaunching the rivalry is scheduling football on a yearly basis.

Here's how I would see this working:

1) Create a new traveling football trophy (the Golden Pheasant, symbolizing the state bird and Black Hills gold) to symbolize the new era of the State-U rivalry. IMO, the introduction of the Dakota Marker did wonders to the SDSU-NDSU rivalry and I think a relaunched State-U rivalry needs to be rooted in something other than the "frozen critter toss" at Frost.
    2) Play the game every year the week of the traditional pheasant opener on Thursday or Friday night (whichever night doesn't conflict with the high school FB schedule for that week).
    3) Televise the game, preferably on a regional basis or wider.
    4) Make the game a statewide event; perhaps have the governor conduct the coin flip and/or present the trophy.
    5) Follow Missouri Valley Football Conference rules for sportsmanship (to ensure teams shake hands before the game because the winning team will run to the trophy).
    6) Promote the game heavily. Both schools need to collaborate on this one.
    7) Get prominent alumni involved; perhaps make two alums from each school honorary captains. If Brokaw can narrate some NCC nostalgia, USD should utilize him in relaunching the State-U rivalry.
    8) SDSU needs to ensure that its home game against USD is during the years it plays at NDSU.

I know that a lot of SDSU fans don't want to over-hype future SDSU-USD games, but this should be a statewide event for the people of South Dakota. In essence, if SDSU and USD are to resume the rivalry, the rivalry needs to be done right, not half-donkeyed. That includes playing football . . . every year.

Re: SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

I'd much rather prefer to build our much more respectful rivalry with NDSU than trying to create someting copy-cat like with USD.

Comment

Any game with USD will have to fit in with the conference schedule, not the other way around, IMO.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

We have the Dakota Marker - SDSU/NDSU have been together since the inception of the DI move. They are in the same football conference and a good reason for the marker. Since we are talking football, USD/UND should consider doing the same. Too many "trophies" takes away from programs and the special rivalry.

Comment

I'm against sacrificing any of our non-conference games in an 11 game season to try and fit USD into our football schedule! We need those couple games against teams from around the country to extend our recruiting base and we sure the heck should not even consider dropping a FBS schools from our schedule to play the coyotes. If we have years like last year where we can play a 12 game season, sure, try and get a game with USD, but unless they get invited to Missouri Valley Football Conference, I for one, feel it is a bad idea for the program as a whole to squeeze them in when we only play 11 games. Besides, if we schedule them as our 12th game every season that it is possible, this would keep the game fresh so hopefully it doesn't get to the point where it was when I first started paying attention to Jackrabbit athletics... for example, none of the last 5 SDSU/USD football games even reached our season's average attendance from last year.

I don't want to sound like I am against playing USD in all athletic competition, because I have been a proponent of playing them in basketball once they become a counter (even though the Dakota Dome is a terrible basketball venue) even before we knew they were going to join the Summit League... I just don't think clearing room in our football schedule every year is in the best interest of our program.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

I don't know... U of M has Floyd of Rosedale with Iowa, The Little Brown Jug with Michigan, Paul Bunyan's Axe with Wisconsin and the Governor's Victory Bell with Penn State. Iowa has the Cy-Hawk Trophy with Iowa State and the Heartland Trophy with Wisconsin.

If they can pull off four and three trophy games, respectively, I doubt a second one would hurt us that much.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
              I don't know... U of M has Floyd of Rosedale with Iowa, The Little Brown Jug with Michigan, Paul Bunyan's Axe with Wisconsin and the Governor's Victory Bell with Penn State. Iowa has the Cy-Hawk Trophy with Iowa State and the Heartland Trophy with Wisconsin.

If they can pull off four and three trophy games, respectively, I doubt a second one would hurt us that much.
              I would agree, we need all the promotion methods that we can find. I sure something along a Pheasant trophy will happen in the future.

Comment

I agree with 68 Jackrabbit that USD and UND should definitely get something started.

Why not have a trophy on the line with USD? Every time I watch a Big 10 game where they play for an axe, jug, or bucket the kids seem pretty darn excited about it.

They could play for the title of South Dakota's team for the year. Then at least USD could have some sort of credible claim to it. Golden pheasant works. Heck, if kids will play that hard for a little brown jug it appears that it doesn't really matter the prize.

One note though, everyone is talking like we are going to be in a conference together for football. Will USD get into the Missouri Valley Football Conference? Until they are in a conference together my vote would be to pass.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

How bout the loser gets "The Brown Turd Trophy."
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

**comment removed by author** A little too snarky for a Saturday morning... call it "poster's remorse"
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Jackrabbit View Post
                      We have the Dakota Marker - SDSU/NDSU have been together since the inception of the DI move. They are in the same football conference and a good reason for the marker. Since we are talking football, USD/UND should consider doing the same. Too many "trophies" takes away from programs and the special rivalry.
                      I agree with 68's position. One trophy for the football season is sufficient. I like the concept of the Dakota Marker - a state-line battle trophy.

Comment

USD and SDSU won't be playing for years and when they do (trophy or not) no one will care.

Comment

The Dakota Marker is unique because it was created when NDSU and SDSU jumped into a new era in football, with many predicting failure. Let's just have one trophy game.

Comment

One of the recent players mentioned a cup that the SDSU team received the last time we played USD. I do believe there was a game trophy that meant more in the 1950's and I want to say it was a Brown Jug that was probably a copy of the Big 10 game trophy. My mind is kind of sketchy on this but there was a game trophy.

Of course many remember the exchange of trousers by the losing student body president, and no doubt this little tradition is more than likely to be resumed when SDSU meets USD again.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                              USD and SDSU won't be playing for years and when they do (trophy or not) no one will care.
                              I've seen you make this argument numerous times.

Over/under 10,000 people. I'll take the over. Care to make a wager?
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X