Trouble with the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with the law

Four NDSU players this spring have had run-in's with the law and will be serving multiple game suspensions.

QB Troy Jackson - Marijuana Possesion
    DE Garrett Johnson - DUI
    WR Shamen Washington - DUI
    QB Jose Moehler - DUI

Re: Trouble with the law

Unfortunately, we have our own situations with student athletes. The Brookings Register does not place these situations on the front page of the paper. No school is exempt from this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      Four NDSU players this spring have had run-in's with the law and will be serving multiple game suspensions.

DE Garrett Johnson - DUI
      QB Jose Moehler - DUI

Quite possibly the kindest post I've read about these players yet today. Bisonville has pretty much descended upon them like a pack of wild and hungry piranha-wolves.

It'll be mighty interesting to see how Coach Bohl handles it. No matter what he does, SOMEBODY will be upset about it.

Comment

Anyone that casts stones at the Bison program for what these 4 did is an idiot. It happens in every program, how much gets out is up to the local media.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
          Anyone that casts stones at the Bison program for what these 4 did is an idiot. It happens in every program, how much gets out is up to the local media.
          Amen.

Comment

Problems in BisonLand

Not a good spring season for the Teetering Herd.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article...91/group/home/

Comment

Re: Problems in BisonLand

Adding later link with unfortunately memorable mug shots:
              http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/237261/

Comment

Re: Problems in BisonLand

This probably shouldn't be in the SDSU football section.

From JackJD: I merged the posts into Trouble with the Law in the Missouri Valley Section.
                Last edited by JackJD; 04-15-2009, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Another way of looking at this situation is that maybe 90 guys were home in bed and alseep while the other four were being processed at the Police station. Its a shame that these four get more publicity than the other 90, who are doing what is expected of them. I wonder why sports writers or any reporter spend time and waste ink space on these incidents. Not that we should not look the other way, we should not and most schools have their rules and ways of dealing with the bad boys. These bad choices get way too much publicty. I rather see the Jacks deal with NDSU on the field with their full force of players and hopefully that will be the case next fall when we play.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

DE Garrett Johnson - DUI
                    QB Jose Moehler - DUI
                    Troy Jackson - dismissed from the team(supposedly unrelated to the marijuana charge)
                    Jose Moehler - indefinite suspension(still talk of dismissal)
                    Garrett Johnson - indefinite suspension
                    Shamen Washington - indefinite suspension

Comment

I'm a professor who has about 300 students in my classes every semester. Believe me, these kinds of things happen all the time. I'm with those here who note that it's unfair to judge a program based on the stupidity of a few kids. And they're 18-23 years old. Anybody here who would like to be judged based on their behavior during those years? Not me.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

OTOH, there's a reason why this has gotten attention.

There's a line between, 'well, you've got to expect a certain amount of immaturity' and 'what kind of an outfit is _______ running?'

IMO, that line was crossed when Mohler & Washington got picked up on the same night.

I definitely agree that the program should get a second look at this point--that Bohl & Co. need to spend some time on the hot seat, and that they need people looking over their shoulders.

Comment

I do agree SDSU has spent their share of time in the barrell for off campus incidents. These incidents have given the Argus something to fill their sports pages with. Most of us recall that in Fargo, a coach with at least a 75 percent winning record got his walking papers due to off campus incidents a few years back. Its not the kind of publicty that either institution wants or deserves.

I know SDSU coaches have made bar checks to ascertain that student athletes are not violating team rules. In Brookings its still possible I suppose because there are about 17 liquior licenses, but when you are in the Fargo Moorhead area, there are many more establishement to check and you would need a police force to get the job done of just checking up. Add to that total of bars the party houses, and its an unwielding job. I do think coaches should be very close to their athletes and know whats going on in their lives, but as much scrutiny as they can give, some still manage to gum up and do not share, but often give no thought to their status of a student earning a scholarship and go out and screw up like these four did. Obviously they were not worried about coaches, or their scholarship when they decided to party and do other illegal acts.

I listen to KFGO every now and then and their local news report today was identical to Hammersmith's post. I hope and pray these incidents do not happen to SDSU for a long long time.

Comment

I was just updating the thread when the punishments became public; those weren't my opinions or anything. I probably should have included the link to the Forum article where I got them from.

Comment

I'm in Jimmy Jack's camp on this one. The Bison coaches have their hands full trying to decide what to do with the situation. I'm pleased to see this hasn't generated a lot of talk on SDSUFans.com. I'm not opposed to a discussion but I think the lack of page after page of posts indicates many realize that any program, because of the actions of just a few, can suddenly find itself in the hot seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X