09 Depth Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 Depth Chart

Looks like this is as close as a depth chart for next year that I can come up with going by last year and from what Terry V has said in his live chat. We return a lot of starters. The biggest question marks are QB, LG, & FS.

QB - SR Crawford/Mondel/O'Brien/Whittier
    HB - JR Minett/JR Duffy
    TE1 - JR Sheehan/JR Beyer
    TE2 - JR Cochart/JR Beyer
    WR1- SR Fox/SR Steffen
    WR2- SR Gant/SR Montague
    LT - SR Knipps/SR Bender
    LG - SO Buchner/SR Ludemann
    C - JR McKnight/ ??
    RG - SR Koskovich/ FR Fick
    RT - SO Orne/ SR Bender

D

DE - SR Battan/SO Steffen
    DT - SR Bazata/FR Fitzsimmons
    DT - JR Fischer/JR Basham
    DE - JR Thompson/JR Crumley
    OLB - SR Rodgers/SO Feller
    MLB - SR Johnson/ SR Jackson
    OLB - JR Domino/SR Jackson
    CB - JR Parnell/SO Matthews
    FS - SR Blackman/JR Jeske/SO Wise
    SS - JR Kjerstad/JR Jeske/SO Wise
    CB - JR Brodie/FR Wagner

Re: 09 Depth Chart

I would hesitate to even guess on the QB position, other than the notion that if Crawford can rehab completely, he'll start. Other than that, it's wide open. Lots of reps on spring and late summer before that decision is made.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

This is what the oline will look like

LT- Bender
      LG- Orne
      C- Mcknight
      RG- Kosovich
      RT- Knips

Mitchell, you seriously think bender would be behind knips in the depth chart. The kid has been hurt but he did start quite a few games in his prime.

Comment

The O-Line was hard to project. I put Orne and Knips as starters and Bender as the reserve just because that's how the depth chart was for the last game of last season. I wasn't sure if Bender was injured or if he just fallen out of favor with the coaches.
        If he was missing playing time because of injury than he will probably start with either him or Orne moving inside to guard.

Does anybody Know who has been taking snaps as the reserve center. Typically we recruit a center who takes over around his junior year or so. I would suppose one of the FR or RFR are a center.

Comment

The o-line depth chart is difficult to predict because Stig has mentioned on the Sports Talk show that Coach Meadows will play the five best lineman regardless of their postion.

Stig also mentioned that's why they keep their blocking schemes relatively simple because they may require the lineman to know two or more positions and the best lineman will play.

GO STATE
          Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
            Looks like this is as close as a depth chart for next year that I can come up with going by last year and from what Terry V has said in his live chat. We return a lot of starters. The biggest question marks are QB, LG, & FS.

QB - SR Crawford/Mondel/O'Brien/Whittier
            HB - JR Minett/JR Duffy
            TE1 - JR Sheehan/JR Beyer
            TE2 - JR Cochart/JR Beyer
            WR1- SR Fox/SR Steffen
            WR2- SR Gant/SR Montague
            LT - SR Knipps/SR Bender
            LG - SO Buchner/SR Ludemann
            C - JR McKnight/ ??
            RG - SR Koskovich/ FR Fick
            RT - SO Orne/ SR Bender

D

DE - SR Battan/SO Steffen
            DT - SR Bazata/FR Fitzsimmons
            DT - JR Fischer/JR Basham
            DE - JR Thompson/JR Crumley
            OLB - SR Rodgers/SO Feller
            MLB - SR Johnson/ SR Jackson
            OLB - JR Domino/SR Jackson
            CB - JR Parnell/SO Matthews
            FS - SR Blackman/JR Jeske/SO Wise
            SS - JR Kjerstad/JR Jeske/SO Wise
            CB - JR Brodie/FR Wagner
            Close but not quite in my opinion. I def think Bender will be a starter on the OL. I think Steffen will be the #2 and Montague the 3 at WR. Steffen caught a lot more balls than Gant last year. Cochart should be the #1 TE. He was much more productive last year. As for the two DB openings they look 50/50 to me with Parnell and Matthews at CB and Blackman and Jeske at FS. Also, I have been to a number of practices and I will tell you that O'Brien is by far the most gifted thrower out of the four...his accuracy and arm strength is heads and shoulders above the other three. I would put him has the starter but time will tell.

Comment

I agree that Bender will most likely start. I picked Gant to start because over Steffen just because I think he's a sleeper and he has the ability to break one where as Fox and Steffen are more position guys. I'm guessing Gant, Steffen, Montague & Fox will all see a good share of snaps.
              Cochart is the catching TE, Sheehan is the FB but SDSU always lists it as a TE instead of a FB.
              I doubt Matthews will beat out Brodie for a CB spot considering he started last year where as Parnell shared duties with Adam Fritz. If he gains a spot I would assume it would be Parnell's.

It's always good to have competition at the different spots, it's seems we have good depth at a lot of positions but we seem thin at OL and DL.

Comment

I personally don't think that Crawford is starting QB material.... nothing against the guy, but he seems like a great back up type of quarterback, more of a manager of the situation, smart guy.... but at the same time hes a guy who was never a great throwing QB, and with a wrist injury I doubt its going to improve. I just don't know if you want a QB that you have to throw out half of the playbook for.....

I guess I'd rather pick one of the others and let them learn on the run.... just my opinion though....

Comment

Working...
                X