No announcement yet.

New Sioux Falls events center update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sioux Falls events center update...

They say the soonest they'll break ground is four years. So if Sioux Falls does host the tourney after next year it will be at the Arena.

Said they are modeling it after the Qwest Center in Omaha. They like the lower cost suites in the Qwest.

Said they are in contact w/ the SF Sports Authority and know what they need to have to host NCAA Regional Tournies.

Said they will have a heavy curtain in place to make the "lower bowl more intimate (7-8k seating) for the minor league sports". This was my big one. I think you have to have this set up. A 14-17k seat arena for the SF Storm, Skyfoce and Stampede (who attract 2,500-5,000 fans) would be disasterous for those franchises.

I would like them to put a Fargodome-type structure up over Howard Wood so we can play football in there. The parking is there, there are two hotels within walking distance, interstate access nearby, airport is 7 minutes away, downtown is 7 minutes away, 41st street is 12 minutes away, the Birdcage is there as well as convention space and the old Arena. I imagine we'll see a 15k seat facility somewhere near downtown in 2014.

Re: New Sioux Falls events center update...

Who's they?
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Ditto on who "they" is.

Also, pretty sure the cost of what you proposed for Howard is prohibitive. School District has already said they are tapped out at the 5-6 million level for the proposed repairs that were put on hold. Since that was very close to the 5 million level before the delay, I don't think they are waiting another 4 to 5 years.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The "they" is the co-chair of the mayor's council for events center (something like that). He was on KWSN this afternoon.

1strow - I think you're right about Howard Wood...which is why I predict it will be downtown (just west of the Falls on the east side of Phillips?)...which will be a nightmare for traffic btw.

Comment

I am confused. I thought you were talking about two separate ideas both located by the convention center.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
            They say the soonest they'll break ground is four years. So if Sioux Falls does host the tourney after next year it will be at the Arena.

Said they are modeling it after the Qwest Center in Omaha. They like the lower cost suites in the Qwest.

Said they are in contact w/ the SF Sports Authority and know what they need to have to host NCAA Regional Tournies.

Said they will have a heavy curtain in place to make the "lower bowl more intimate (7-8k seating) for the minor league sports". This was my big one. I think you have to have this set up. A 14-17k seat arena for the SF Storm, Skyfoce and Stampede (who attract 2,500-5,000 fans) would be disasterous for those franchises.
            "They" must have been listening to my pleas on these forums and on argusleader.com If these are the standards they are going to abide by when putting up a new arena then I will be one happy camper!
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

I was listening to Craig and John for a little while today and I thought I heard them say that it would be closer modeled to the Arena in Des Moines which is also very nice. It has a lower bowl area that can apparently be partitioned off during smaller events and for larger event opened up for the upper deck. I think the total seating capacity would be in the neighborhood of 14-16K.

I hope for two things. One it is not modeled after the Tyson Events Center and two not made to be a Fargo Dome type facility. I would like a true arena with a high pitched angle for good viewing site lines.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                which will be a nightmare for traffic btw.
                If they put it on N. Phillips by Falls Park, yeah, traffic will be a nightmare.

But if they put it on the river between 6th & 8th or 8th & 10th Sts. traffic will be better than almost anywhere else in Sioux Falls (short of placing it on a freeway exit).

Why?

Distributed parking, and walking distance food & beverages.

Daily, the downtown traffic & parking infrastructure handles traffic movement that the Arena sees on rare occasions. The First Avenue ramp (if the facility goes in between 10th & 8th), likely a new ramp on the East bank (to replace the River Ramp, and add capacity), the city lot across from the River Ramp (behind 1st National) will be able to accommodate event parking needs, while the multiple E & W through streets (10th, 9th, 8th, 6th) provide ease of access to Minnesota & Cliff Avenues.

By contrast, at the Arena, you've basically got only two roads servicing the place, West & Western. You can't get to Russell directly (except a right turn only exit around the back of the place), and the place just jams up after events. Furthermore, the Arena isn't really within walking distance of Buffalo Wild Wings, let alone Nutty's North, and aside from the restaurant at the Sheraton, there's not much else there to keep people from leaving -immediately- after a game.

----

OTOH, the general public seems to HATE the idea of a downtown events center because they think that an isolated facility served by only one or two roads with acres of broad flat single level parking will have less congestion than a facility that is served by multiple roads, with multiple parking ramps.

IMO there are reasons not to put the events center downtown, but congestion is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  If they put it on N. Phillips by Falls Park, yeah, traffic will be a nightmare.

But if they put it on the river between 6th & 8th or 8th & 10th Sts. traffic will be better than almost anywhere else in Sioux Falls (short of placing it on a freeway exit).

Why?

Distributed parking, and walking distance food & beverages.

Daily, the downtown traffic & parking infrastructure handles traffic movement that the Arena sees on rare occasions. The First Avenue ramp (if the facility goes in between 10th & 8th), likely a new ramp on the East bank (to replace the River Ramp, and add capacity), the city lot across from the River Ramp (behind 1st National) will be able to accommodate event parking needs, while the multiple E & W through streets (10th, 9th, 8th, 6th) provide ease of access to Minnesota & Cliff Avenues.

By contrast, at the Arena, you've basically got only two roads servicing the place, West & Western. You can't get to Russell directly (except a right turn only exit around the back of the place), and the place just jams up after events. Furthermore, the Arena isn't really within walking distance of Buffalo Wild Wings, let alone Nutty's North, and aside from the restaurant at the Sheraton, there's not much else there to keep people from leaving -immediately- after a game.

----

OTOH, the general public seems to HATE the idea of a downtown events center because they think that an isolated facility served by only one or two roads with acres of broad flat single level parking will have less congestion than a facility that is served by multiple roads, with multiple parking ramps.

IMO there are reasons not to put the events center downtown, but congestion is not one of them.
                  its not the congestion problem you will have congestion problems with any arena at any place.... the problem is you will loose a lot of people like me if you put it downtown.... I like being able to come to Sioux Falls turn on Russel and go straight to the arena, I don't like driving downtown at 2am, its a very confusing downtown.... also you don't have those easy roads that go through downtown, you don't have near the motels (there is a lot of them by the arena now).... and unless you get really good parking it is in walking distance of Buffalo Wild Wings.... heck most of the time I just part there and walk to the arena because its easier getting out....

The problem I have with putting it downtown is that you are screwing it up for bigger events.... you have the convention center there, add an arena to it.... when Rapid City built there ice arena they put it as part of the existing facilities that way you are letting yourself host bigger events....

Comment

If it does not play well in Spearfish or Tyndall, dont do it>

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      If it does not play well in Spearfish or Tyndall, dont do it>
                      My sentiments exactly! Hard to believe there is someone who would not drive to downtown Sioux Falls to the Events Center because it's too confusing. I really like the fact the committee is using The Wells Fargo Center in Des Moines and Qwest Center in Omaha as the prototypes. I don't think there is a need for a Fargo Dome type facility or something similiar to the Tyson Center that would be too small in a few years. There are big plans for downtown Sioux Falls and this would be the crown jewell!

Comment

It's wonderful to see young people get involved in their community:

http://www.kdlt.com/news/0407n2.html

Comment

My biggest concern on envent center downtown is that it splits the venues up. Having the convention center, an old arena that could be remodeled for a variety of uses, and a new event center at one site would seem to make the best business sense in that it would allow for a wider variety of events to be able to use the facility. I believe that is the overwhelming factor that must be considered in deciding the location.

As for the parking downtown, it will be harder to access than the large flat lots primarily because all of the lots do not have the electronic monitoring so you know if the lot is full. So you drive in the lot, circle it and find out it is full, then drive to the next lot. This takes time and the uncertainty of finding a spot is a negative in planning on attending. Is it a huge negative? No, but it is a negative. Even if the lots were monitored, it still is harder to find a spot in 10 small dispersed lots than in 1 large lot because until you pull up to one of the small lots you may not (or may with developing tech) know if it is full. Again, I don't think it is a huge factor, but it is a factor. Will it prevent many people from attending an event? Probably not.

A view that I would like to hear from is the various promoters of events. I would think they would have experience on how much of a factor these things are. In order for the event center to be successful, you have got to get promoters to put money on the line for events. I think their perspective would be helpful in this discussion and I don't recall hearing it before.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            you don't have near the motels (there is a lot of them by the arena now)....
                            The downtown events center would likely have a hotel built along with it.

Also, the only 'decent' accommodations near the Arena are the Sheraton & Ramada. A 300 room hotel built alongside the Events Center would put about 700 hotel rooms within walking distance of the Events Center (c. 300 @ Holiday Inn, c. 100 @ Country Inn, c. 300 at new hotel).

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              My biggest concern on envent center downtown is that it splits the venues up. Having the convention center, an old arena that could be remodeled for a variety of uses, and a new event center at one site would seem to make the best business sense in that it would allow for a wider variety of events to be able to use the facility. I believe that is the overwhelming factor that must be considered in deciding the location.
                              I don't agree. I think that if you put a 14,000 seat venue on that site you not only need to get a clearance waiver from the FAA, you also end up needing to build a couple parking ramps and you basically accept that it will be a stone-cold nightmare if you ever schedule a popular event at the convention center at the same time as a popular event at the new arena.

I can't really think of an event that would make use of the convention center's full exhibit hall -as well as- the events center.
                              So you drive in the lot, circle it and find out it is full, then drive to the next lot.
                              I would imagine the new ramp will have electronic monitoring, and that the private lots will be staffed by 'Event Parking' personnel who will keep track of available spots.
                              A view that I would like to hear from is the various promoters of events. I would think they would have experience on how much of a factor these things are. In order for the event center to be successful, you have got to get promoters to put money on the line for events. I think their perspective would be helpful in this discussion and I don't recall hearing it before.
                              I doubt that any promoter will be concerned about a downtown location, provided that parking is sufficient, within a sufficient radius.

Comment

Working...
                              X