New Mets Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mets Stadium

Anybody else smell the odor of the new Mets stadium (naming rights courtesy of $400 million from Citi - a federally bailed out financial institution)?

Re: New Mets Stadium

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    Anybody else smell the odor of the new Mets stadium (naming rights courtesy of $400 million from Citi - a federally bailed out financial institution)?
    Yeah, that doesn't seem right. At least the residents of NY didn't spend another 1.5 billion dollars for the Mets like they did the Yankees. Like the Yankees needed the residents to buy them a new stadium.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Doesn't seem right now, but at the time the agreement was made Citi was one of the most profitable entities in the world. Now those seem to have been profits based on speculation and were never sustainable, but they didn't agree to pay for the naming rights after they were bailed out.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think I heard on The New ESPN 99.1 yesterday that there are 1,000 obstructed view seats in the new Yankee Stadium??? How do you build a new stadium w/obstructed view seats? That tells me how out of touch the Steinbrenners are with the fans
        "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
          I think I heard on The New ESPN 99.1 yesterday that there are 1,000 obstructed view seats in the new Yankee Stadium??? How do you build a new stadium w/obstructed view seats? That tells me how out of touch the Steinbrenners are with the fans
          No way, that shouldn't even be possible, should it? How could you do that? They spent close to 1.5 billion on it, how do you have that many obstructed seats?

Comment

As mentioned before, yes, Citi made the agreement with the Mets before everything went to crap. But, and this is a big but, the federal goverment bailed out Citi even with that $400 million dollar debt for naming rights on its scorecard.

A couple weeks ago some recently bailed out banks floated a loan to the NBA for $175 million to keep half the clubs afloat.

Comment

A couple weeks ago some recently bailed out banks floated a loan to the NBA for $175 million to keep half the clubs afloat.
              Remind me, how do banks/bankers make money? Exactly.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

JackMD, a year ago I would not have commented on this. Today, I am a stakeholder in this deal. So when $175 million goes to half the failing clubs of the pathetically overpaid NBA...yup, I have a right to voice my displeasure.

Comment

JackMD, a year ago I would not have commented on this. Today, I am a stakeholder in this deal. So when $175 million goes to half the failing clubs of the pathetically overpaid NBA...yup, I have a right to voice my displeasure.
                  I didn't mean to imply that I was condoning it. I was just saying, when you don't know how to do anything else you do what you know how to do. Its a mess that is for sure.

As for the Mets and more so the Yankees, I think they've priced themselves right out of the core baseball fan group. What average American can afford to attend a game at the new Yankees ballpark? How are kids suppose to relate to players making 30 million a year? Worse, how are players making 30 million a year suppose to relate to the kids who should be admiring them?
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I didn't mean to imply that I was condoning it. I was just saying, when you don't know how to do anything else you do what you know how to do. Its a mess that is for sure.

As for the Mets and more so the Yankees, I think they've priced themselves right out of the core baseball fan group. What average American can afford to attend a game at the new Yankees ballpark? How are kids suppose to relate to players making 30 million a year? Worse, how are players making 30 million a year suppose to relate to the kids who should be admiring them?
                    Athlete salaries have always been high. I grew up watching MJ and then Kobe and Shaq and those guys and they made millions of dollars. I didn't care, still admired them and wanted to be like them. I don't think that really matters at all.

As for who can afford to attend a game at the new Yankee stadium? Not many people: http://paulkatcher.com/archives/001191.shtml
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                      Athlete salaries have always been high. I grew up watching MJ and then Kobe and Shaq and those guys and they made millions of dollars. I didn't care, still admired them and wanted to be like them. I don't think that really matters at all.

As for who can afford to attend a game at the new Yankee stadium? Not many people: http://paulkatcher.com/archives/001191.shtml
                      They were discussing the empty seats in Yankee Stadium today on ESPN. They made the comment if you wanted 4 season tickets behind dugout, it would cost $800,000 for the year. They said they were trying to focus on businesses to buy those seats and no one has really stepped up yet. Poor Poor Yankees.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I hope team owners no longer hold cities "hostage" about building new stadiums. I hope people who bounce basketballs and throw footballs no longer get paid pathetically over-priced wages. I hope the average family can afford to take their sons and daughters to professional games. I hope today's professional athletes exhibit a little more humility. I hope fans, young and old, think that the men and women wearing the uniform of this country's military hold higher stature than the uniforms worn by the Yankees or Celtics. I hope there is more balance in the universe.

Comment

Sounds like you had an answer prepared for a miss universe question.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

EQguy...funny guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

It matters for me and that means my 3 children are likely not to be Yankee fans. My dad was a Yankee fan and therefore I became a Yankee fan. Now, I have to admit that I'm fed up with the high jinks. The Twins have always held my interest and with the developments in New York this last couple of years (Giambi, A Rod, the money committed to the stadium by taxpayers who can never hope to set foot in it), I'm done with the Yankees. My kids are cheering for the Twins. Speaking of which, no twins again tonight. Dang!

Comment

Working...
                              X