Me Too U.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me Too U.

I was at a banquet last night. Jim Abbott was in attendance. One of the speakers who is a SDSU grad was roasting another SDSU grad. Before commenting about the guest of honor he first made a few references to those in the crowd.

I don't remember every detail but he was referring to the U's stance when they decided to stay DII and chose to label themselves the "Harvard on/of the Prairie". Then, as if by some well thought out plan, they were stuck in the unenviable position of being forced to move up. The speaker suggested that "Me Too U" would be a better label for Dr. Abbott and the U. Abbott didn't laugh or even crack a smile, I along with many others applauded.

So, I'm not sure the best way to abbreviate that and I'm open to any suggestions. M2U seems pretty good. I'll go with that for now.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Me Too U.

I can understand that being a funny comment in some settings but in other settings, I would think that was quite rude and would not reflect well on the person who made the comment. Was the banquet a "roast"? Usually just about anything seems fair game in a roast setting. Or, was it not a roast and the speaker just took a gratuitous shot at Pres. Abbott and USD?

If the banquet was not a roast, then I'm concerned the speaker risked causing some attending the banquet to think SDSU grads are jerks. I think SDSU people are some of the finest in the land but we've all seen people judge a group by the actions (or statements) of a few.

My guess is SDSU's image in the public's mind may be as high as it has ever been. The success the institution has had, led by the fabulous women's basketball team, is priceless and paves the way for even more success in the future. Personally, I'm opposed to taking a hard shot at other institutions -- it's the old saying that one's candle won't glow brighter by blowing out someone else's. Again, if the banquet was a roast, then Abbott needed to crack a smile and play along.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I can understand that being a funny comment in some settings but in other settings, I would think that was quite rude and would not reflect well on the person who made the comment. Was the banquet a "roast"? Usually just about anything seems fair game in a roast setting. Or, was it not a roast and the speaker just took a gratuitous shot at Pres. Abbott and USD?

If the banquet was not a roast, then I'm concerned the speaker risked causing some attending the banquet to think SDSU grads are jerks. I think SDSU people are some of the finest in the land but we've all seen people judge a group by the actions (or statements) of a few.

My guess is SDSU's image in the public's mind may be as high as it has ever been. The success the institution has had, led by the fabulous women's basketball team, is priceless and paves the way for even more success in the future. Personally, I'm opposed to taking a hard shot at other institutions -- it's the old saying that one's candle won't glow brighter by blowing out someone else's. Again, if the banquet was a roast, then Abbott needed to crack a smile and play along.
      I tend to agree with your comments and reading Jackmd comments again, it appears the roast included someone who happen to be a SDSU grad, but also had ties to President Abbott. Why else would he be in attendence? In those situations it does get touchy. Out of respect to Jim Abbott, I dont think I would have not brought this Harvard of the Prarie up. If any person is roasted, it should be about that person and not his friend Jim Abbott. If Jim Abbott was the person being roasted, then it would be fair game. Would Jim Abbott attend his own roast if it was put on by a committee of SDSU grads? Not likely!!

I know some one in the Brookings community that is well known was quoted a few years back as being in favor of having Jim Abbott as the President of SDSU and that was before he took the USD presidency. Jim is a smart guy and very capable leader, much better than some of the past USD presidents.

In defense of Jackmd comments, I do have some problems with jumping on the USD love boat as about the time we are comfortable on the sun deck, we seem to be torpedoed by some thoughtless person connected to USD. ie Fred Oien comments.

Comment

It was a roast and it was meant in jest. I posted it in smack because of that. It was not meant to be taken in offense and stated in a public forum for each of us to interpret the way we choose. I just thought Dr. Abbott could be a little more gracious in his acceptance of stated fact and perhaps he was more so than I understood. Still, I respect the man who stated what I believe to be fact.

The rest can take it for what it was, it was a "roast".
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I dunno.... I would kind of see it as a cheap shot since SDSU & USD aren't peers athletically.

I mean that's kind of the thing about roasts---it's peers making fun of peers.

Also a certain spirit of self-deprecation helps, as in 'USD prides itself on academic achievement and calls itself the Harvard of the prairies (one wonders how well this goes over back in Cambridge at the USD of the East Coast). SDSU, on the other hand, prides itself on the ability to make noise with cowbells and calls itself Moo-U.'

Of course, I'd expect you'd have to be there to fully grasp the spirit in which the comments were offered.

Comment

Okay, since it was a roast, then I think just about anyone in the audience is fair game. If I go to a roast and happen to fall within the eyesight of a presenter, I'd better be prepared to smile and laugh when the first of several lawyer jokes are told. Pres. Abbott should have played along. (Since he didn't crack a smile, one can only conclude the subject is a sore one.)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Okay, since it was a roast, then I think just about anyone in the audience is fair game. If I go to a roast and happen to fall within the eyesight of a presenter, I'd better be prepared to smile and laugh when the first of several lawyer jokes are told. Pres. Abbott should have played along. (Since he didn't crack a smile, one can only conclude the subject is a sore one.)
              I diagree. Jim Abbott is one class act. He runs USD, and should be respected as much if one of your administrators was at a USD function. JackMd and I have had our go arounds, and we have apologized to each other, but I think the fact he laughed so hard says it all. His hate for USD is beyond words.

I have applauded your efforts all year long, cheered for your teams all year long, and quite frankly I read that post, where JackMd is so happy that it happened, and although you will say it is in the smack section, it makes me want to vommit. Fine, it was a roast. But was it a roast to ROAST USD? If so, then appropriate. I doubt it was or Jim wouldn't have been there. There have been fans on this board and ours saying how many "classless" fans you have, and I have defended you. But you are wrong in this case.

Total lack of class.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                I diagree. Jim Abbott is one class act. He runs USD, and should be respected as much if one of your administrators was at a USD function. JackMd and I have had our go arounds, and we have apologized to each other, but I think the fact he laughed so hard says it all. His hate for USD is beyond words.

I have applauded your efforts all year long, cheered for your teams all year long, and quite frankly I read that post, where JackMd is so happy that it happened, and although you will say it is in the smack section, it makes me want to vommit. Fine, it was a roast. But was it a roast to ROAST USD? If so, then appropriate. I doubt it was or Jim wouldn't have been there. There have been fans on this board and ours saying how many "classless" fans you have, and I have defended you. But you are wrong in this case.

Total lack of class.

Lighten up Francis. I forgot, you and Jim Abbott can't take a joke. My bad.

Comment

I suspect Mr. Abbott had more votes than anyone in USD's decisions (initially against, then for) going D-1. I also suspect that his years in politics running for elected offices, with mixed results, gave him thick enough skin to absorb jokes about Me Too U. (Us Too U?)
                  This space for lease.

Comment

He runs USD, and should be respected as much if one of your administrators was at a USD function.
                    Like when our AD was at a basketball game in the DakotaDump(TM)?
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      Like when our AD was at a basketball game in the DakotaDump(TM)?
                      Listen, if you think you can control the mouths of some drunk students, you're wrong. I am not sure what you are referring to, but my bet is if you are correct, it was a student who shot off their mouth. That's wrong, but predictable. It was no different than when my wife was called a f---ing c--t at Frost. In either case, no class.

Jim Abbott hasn't done anything to degrade SDSU. The comment came from one of your admired and respected boosters, that's a big difference. The bottom line is you and the fans like you that have this WE WENT FIRST, SO THEREFORE WE ARE KINGCRAP are arrogant about the situation.

I for one wanted us to stay D-II if everybody else would. You and NDSU didn't, so that changed the dynamics of the situation. I wasn't one of them that "railed" you for going D-I. Quite frankly, I was in Omaha at your last NCC basketball tournament. USD beat you, but after the game, when many of your boosters were heading out early because of the loss (and they were great about it) said they too were saddened about the decision to go to D-I. So please oh great one, don't make it sound like Jackrabbit Nation was 100% behind it, b ecause you weren't.

This isn't about D-I/D-II. This is about respect. If your president or AD were at a banquet that wasn't a roast about SDSU, the comment would be inappropriate. If Jim Abbott was at a roast involving roasting USD, then I am wrong, and if head the guts to go to something like that, then he needs to laugh it off. But as I understand it, it was a roast involving someone from SDSU. If no USD administrators were in attendance, then blast away. If they are, then show respect.

You have this going D-I first thing you all can't get over. All I can say, is because you went D-I first, you better never lose to USD in anything. because according to you, you are "light years" ahead of us.

There are many great fans on here, but some of you are amazing.

Comment

So much for the USD Love boat.

Comment

I avoid going to roasts.

Comment

I was in Omaha at your last NCC basketball tournament. USD beat you.
                            I was there too. What a good game. Not as sweet as the one a week before at the Dome though.

Originally posted by JackJD
                            I avoid going to roasts.
                            Originally posted by Michael Scott
                            Boom, roasted.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                              I was there too. What a good game. Not as sweet as the one a week before at the Dome though.
                              How long ago was this game? I have forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X