Sioux Falls Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls Storm

Looks like some former SDSU players are playing for the Storm.
    According to their roster

http://www.siouxfallsstorm.com/team/players/

LB Justin Kubesh
    K Parker Douglass
    DB Tyler Koch
    DL Mitch Pontrelli
    DL Jason Bonwell

Re: Sioux Falls Storm

...check out this load of crap.

http://www.siouxfallsstorm.com/news/...ment-on-storm/
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      If I cared one bit about any of the semi pro teams in SF I'd be a little upset about this development as a fan. If I were a Storm player of family member of a player I'd want to make sure I have appropriate insurance for any injury incurred or time missed from work or permanent disability.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        If I cared one bit about any of the semi pro teams in SF I'd be a little upset about this development as a fan. If I were a Storm player of family member of a player I'd want to make sure I have appropriate insurance for any injury incurred or time missed from work or permanent disability.
        I can completely understand an appropriate monetary sanction, but this reversal of games and loss of a roster spot for the rest of the season hurts the very employees (the players) that workers compensation is designed to protect.

Taking away wins on the field is typically reserved for situation where a violation results in a perceived or real competitive advantage, is it not?
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
          I can completely understand an appropriate monetary sanction, but this reversal of games and loss of a roster spot for the rest of the season hurts the very employees (the players) that workers compensation is designed to protect.

Taking away wins on the field is typically reserved for situation where a violation results in a perceived or real competitive advantage, is it not?
          I agree, not fair to the players or fans from a standpoint of competition on the field.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'd like to see some of our lawyer posters weigh in on this deal. It's a severe penalty for the Storm. So, lawyers, why do you think it was so punitive?

Comment

It's a simple matter of following the rules. The Storm broke the rules, they are being punished. The Storm knew they were not following the league mandate when they made their decision not to have workers comp. for those games. If they actually didn't they are even more in the wrong because obviously then they don't have the leadership to know what is going on. The situation wasn't a competitive advantage on the field but was a competitive advantage in terms of front office money. They gambled big time, they were lucky to only lose 5 games and not the whole organization after being sued. The Storm, players, coaches, front office, should quit b!tchin about life being unfair and get back to work. This year they will actually have a challenge winning a championship. They might find it will actually be more meaningful this year. I commend the IFL having the nuts to stick it to the best team in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                It's a simple matter of following the rules. The Storm broke the rules, they are being punished. The Storm knew they were not following the league mandate when they made their decision not to have workers comp. for those games. If they actually didn't they are even more in the wrong because obviously then they don't have the leadership to know what is going on. The situation wasn't a competitive advantage on the field but was a competitive advantage in terms of front office money. They gambled big time, they were lucky to only lose 5 games and not the whole organization after being sued. The Storm, players, coaches, front office, should quit b!tchin about life being unfair and get back to work. This year they will actually have a challenge winning a championship. They might find it will actually be more meaningful this year. I commend the IFL having the nuts to stick it to the best team in the league.
                I understand that workman's comp laws apply to minor league football franchises so it could be more than forfieting six games. I think the State of SD is done with this matter since they apparently paid the fine. It looks like someone within the organization decided to cut a corner and they got caught.

Comment

Given the brutal, rough and tumble world of football, I find it incredible that the leadership of the Storm rolled the dice on this deal. What would have happened if a player suffered a catastrophic injury or even death?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                    Given the brutal, rough and tumble world of football, I find it incredible that the leadership of the Storm rolled the dice on this deal. What would have happened if a player suffered a catastrophic injury or even death?
                    Simple, the Storm would have gone bankrupt and defunct.

Comment

Yes, the management screwed up; they deserved to be punished. The league screwed up as well by allowing the team to take the field without the proper insurance. The league knew this was a problem, but yet no action was taken against the Storm until after the proper actions were taken. . . one game cancellation and automatic forfeit at the start of the season would have ended this mess at the start . . . I smell some carp floating around.

In the end, the players and fans of the Storm are robbed by this unprecedented punishment. In addition, the league takes a hit for acting like a bunch of jealous amateurs who a running a bush league. Finally, the team whoever wins the league's title this year (assuming the Storm can't make the playoffs) will have an illegitimate crown since one of the league's best teams was removed from the picture. . .

Comment

ya its kinda odd that they didn't punish them until after they changed.....

Comment

There's a lot more than meets the eye here. Yes the Storm management failed. Yes the other team owners, a little jealous and moving in their own self interests, conveniently took away victories to even the playing field. But there have to be some other driving issues, not for public consumption, that made this penalty so severe.

Comment

I'm hearing the same thing cowbell. Nothing solid but lots of rumor and negative things about the leadership. Might get ugly before it gets fixed
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Storm was carrying its own in-house work comp insurance, which would have still covered its players. The league imposed the penalty b/c the Storm wasn't carrying the league mandated work comp insurance...
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                              X