Fargo Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fargo Flood

My heart goes out to all those affected by this flood. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Of course, your fighting spirit is an inspiration to people across the country.

Re: Fargo Flood

It's just awful. I can't imagine how disheartening it is to deal with flooding like that. You work like crazy to make a home for yourself and your family, and this force outside of your control just sweeps it all away.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It's sad that they have to go through this but man, the Red River floods just about every year you'd think they could have figured out a levy system or something to prevent this or lessen the effects.

Comment

The levy's are the problem. Levy's cause the rivers to rise to unexpected levels when a 3 mile wide flood plain gets constricted to a quarter mile.

I too feel terrible for the unbelievable destruction floods cause. I just wish cities had better sense when allowing development near a river. Good luck to all those fighting to save life and property.

Comment

Levy's are a problem, but technology is the biggest problem. What I mean is the technology of drainage is the biggest problem. If you have ever been in the red river valley, you have seen how incredibly flat it is east and west of the river. Farmers now have the ability to use GPS and laser leveling to drain fields. The water does not stay away from the river anymore, it runs through fields drained with laser levels to ditches, straight to the river. Water is not contained at all anymore it is very accurately pushed straight to the river.

I speak from experience as I was stranded in the flood of 97 in Breckenridge, MN and had to be picked up from my grandmother's house by the national guard. My parents live about 100 feet from the Red River but on one of the highest points, so if the river ever reached their house the whole town of Fargo would be under water.

If they wanted to stop some of the flooding, both MN and ND would put caps on the culverts to slow the drainage from the fields. It would be a lot of work but would also really slow the flow of water to the river.

The great thing is that the people and towns really come together during these times, and work their butts off for anybody. I think it will turn out okay, they have really prepared since 97 and know what to expect. Good luck to them, and my family, from MT.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit3467 View Post
            I speak from experience as I was stranded in the flood of 97 in Breckenridge, MN and had to be picked up from my grandmother's house by the national guard. My parents live about 100 feet from the Red River but on one of the highest points, so if the river ever reached their house the whole town of Fargo would be under water.
            Just received the 2 a.m. phone call. We (153rd Engineering Battalion) just got activated to head to Fargo. Do not know our mission as of now but will keep you all posted when I find out more and have time.

Comment

They are now forecasting the crest as high as 43 feet which would be a new record and several feet higher than the level reached in 1997. Sounds like my sister got evacuated from her apartment and have some other family friends that are very worried the sandbags around their house won't hold.

Comment

Folks might want to consider a donation to the Salvation Army or the American Red Cross . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Stay safe Rabbitden and we'll keep you and the people of ND in our prayers.

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                  Just received the 2 a.m. phone call. We (153rd Engineering Battalion) just got activated to head to Fargo. Do not know our mission as of now but will keep you all posted when I find out more and have time.

Comment

Good luck, stay safe, warm and dry. On behalf of friends and relatives in the affected areas, thank you.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Good luck, i know that the guard does great work during these times. I know my ride in the duece and a half, while damn cold, was greatly appreciated. I hope that you dont have to do those kinds of jobs (evacuating) and are just there to help. Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        It's sad that they have to go through this but man, the Red River floods just about every year you'd think they could have figured out a levy system or something to prevent this or lessen the effects.
                        On Tuesday, our mayor said that the worst thing that came of the '97 flood in Fargo was not getting hit worse than we did. Grand Forks got his much harder in '97 and thus got hundreds of millions in federal money for permanent levees that protect them even in horrific floods like this. I would expect a push for permanent levees in Fargo as soon as the water subsides.

I'm no expert, but this year's flood is so bad because we had record rainfall last fall (the water tables are already completely saturated), we had a decent amount of snow this winter, a pretty quick melt, and lots of precipitation this week as the flood waters moved in. It all combined to make a big mess.

One thing this flood has really shown though is the unbeleivable spirit of the people of Fargo/Moorhead and the entire upper-midwest. Most of us spent 6-10 hours a day sandbagging all week for people we didn't know and I didn't hear a single complaint. It's the greatest thing I've ever been a part of and I couldn't be more proud. We might go down, but if we do it'll be swinging, that's for sure.

Comment

I might get whacked about this but I think it needs to be said. I believe what the people of Fargo and Moorhead have done should serve as a model to the rest of America. Rather than whine in front of a CNN microphone about the lack of government help, those folks up north rolled up their sleeves and got busy. The work was hard and the conditions miserable. Yet you didn't hear anybody complaining. Instead of putting their hands out for assistance those people put their hands out to grab another sandbag. Damn proud...damn proud of all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by cowbell View Post
                            i might get whacked about this but i think it needs to be said. I believe what the people of fargo and moorhead have done should serve as a model to the rest of america. Rather than whine in front of a cnn microphone about the lack of government help, those folks up north rolled up their sleeves and got busy. The work was hard and the conditions miserable. Yet you didn't hear anybody complaining. Instead of putting their hands out for assistance those people put their hands out to grab another sandbag. Damn proud...damn proud of all of you.
                            *qft*

Comment

The reason Fargo hasn't gotten permanent flood control since 97 is a matter of timing and money. This sort of project is so expensive that it takes a combination of local, state and federal funds to make it happen. After 97, Grand Forks, Wahpeton and Fargo all needed major projects, and the priority was in that order. The problem was the state of North Dakota. For the decade following the 97 flood, the state didn't have the resources to fund more than one flood control project at a time. Grand Forks was first, Wahp second. Wahp's project has been partially delayed because Breckenridge(Wahp's sister MN city) hasn't been able to secure state funding for their flood control project. If Wahp completes their's before Breck, it will drastically hurt Breck during floods like the current one. So Wahp has money allocated to complete their project, but hasn't been able to actually finish it.

That leaves us with Fargo. A permanent flood control project is just getting underway, but is several years from completion. Even before this flood, promises had been made by state and federal agencies to give Fargo the money it needs to build the levees and flood walls. In preparation for this, Fargo has been working with one of the federal agencies(NWS, USGS or FEMA - don't recall which) to create a detailed flood plain map to be used to identify exactly where the levees and walls need to go. They've been working on that report for at least a year, and it's supposed to be released this spring or summer. Also, a preliminary version of that report was released late last fall and was used to create several early flood control plans. Those plans were released to the public over the winter, and several city and neighborhood meetings have been held, with more to come. I believe the plan was to break ground on the project either this fall or next spring.

All this is to say that Fargo hasn't been asleep at the wheel for permanent flood control. It's possible some time was wasted by either the state(could have funded the projects a little faster) or the city(NIMBY citizens delaying the process), but even if everything had gone perfectly, there is no way it would have been finished by now. I think the plans being discussed are in the neighborhood of 5-10 years from groundbreaking to completion. The only thing that could compress the timetable to a major degree would be the destruction of large portions of the city which would allow for easy access to the riverside properties. That's how Grand Forks got their project done so quickly.

On a happy note, the Red has been dropping slowly for over 8 hours. I know the NWS is still predicting a 42 foot crest tomorrow, but I'm doubtful at this point(knock on wood). I think we may have reached the highest crest at 40.82 feet, but will stay above 40 feet for at least a week. As long as the temps remain close to freezing or below(as forecasted), I think we'll be okay. Lots of cleanup to come, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X