Next Big News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Big News

Watching this board over the years, there is a dramatic drop-off following the basketball season. I suppose it's natural. However, in a scant few weeks we will be buzzing about the new athletic director. This is a huge appointment. Hiring coaches, letting some go and fundraising set the direction for the program. In many ways it's as big as who becomes the president of SDSU.

Re: Next Big News

And it's only 170 days until the football opener.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      Watching this board over the years, there is a dramatic drop-off following the basketball season. I suppose it's natural. However, in a scant few weeks we will be buzzing about the new athletic director. This is a huge appointment. Hiring coaches, letting some go and fundraising set the direction for the program. In many ways it's as big as who becomes the president of SDSU.
      My guess the search committee for the new AD is probably right in the middle of sorting resumes and forming subcommittes to do reference checking and a number of other details that are involved in the elimination process. I never been on a committee, but have conversed with a number of people who have and its quite an involved procedure to go through. In the end the committee will no doubt have three to five candidates for interviews. Thats when we probably will get a chance to be part of open forums involving the candidates and hear their opinions about where they would take SDSU if they are selected as the new AD. It will be interesting and something we can all look forward to. And yes, the selection of the new AD is very important, and is as important as the president, since he has the final word I do believe.

Comment

I heard they got 40 more applications after the weekend. No doubt some of those were prompted by the NCAA tourney appearance.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

As I understand it, the search committee has much less to do with making this decision than it may seem. I am pretty sure that the outside hiring agency does most of the work after the committee tells them what they are looking for and then the President takes the reigns to make the ultimate choice. Just my understanding of the process.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I am on another similar search committee for a differnt position using a consultant. The consultant's primary responsibility is to recruit strong candidates and gain evaluative information that the committee might not normally have access to.then the consultant may in some cases indicate who they feel are the strong choices or may pass the entire list to the committee with no comments. The search committee then rates the candidates, narrows the list to perhaps 5-10 for whom they contact references, request additional information etc. Then they will invite 3-5 candidates to campus for interview. After that they will eliminate 1 or 2 weaker candidates and forward the rest to the President who will make the final choice. There are variations in the numbers and a little in the process from search to search but this is the general procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
              I am on another similar search committee for a differnt position using a consultant. The consultant's primary responsibility is to recruit strong candidates and gain evaluative information that the committee might not normally have access to.then the consultant may in some cases indicate who they feel are the strong choices or may pass the entire list to the committee with no comments. The search committee then rates the candidates, narrows the list to perhaps 5-10 for whom they contact references, request additional information etc. Then they will invite 3-5 candidates to campus for interview. After that they will eliminate 1 or 2 weaker candidates and forward the rest to the President who will make the final choice. There are variations in the numbers and a little in the process from search to search but this is the general procedure.
              That is a very good explanation. As of right now, the search committee has narrowed the candidates down to eight and will probably narrow it down to three in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                As I understand it, the search committee has much less to do with making this decision than it may seem. I am pretty sure that the outside hiring agency does most of the work after the committee tells them what they are looking for and then the President takes the reigns to make the ultimate choice. Just my understanding of the process.
                That is basically right. Up to this point the outside agency has done most of the work. Now that they have narrowed down the candidates, the committee will make the decisions from here on out.

Comment

Working...
                X