Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all the mamby pambies!

Yeah, you.

The people who said the move to division I was a mistake.

The people who said we couldn't compete.

The people who said the NCC was just as good.

The people who said that it would be the start of the end, and our schools would struggle in mediocrity for decades to come.

(PS. Most of these people live in Vermillion and Sioux Falls, and graduated from Augie and the U, although....there were also some very loud SDSU fans who were also opposed to the move.)

Well, lets see how your predictions have turned out?

1. The SDSU football team won it's conference for the first time in @ 40 years, and this year JUST missed making the playoffs and winning possibly the toughest conference in the FCS.
    2. The SDSU women's volleyball team qualified for the NCAA tournament in it's first year of eligibility.
    3. The SDSU women's Soccer team also qualified for the tournament and won their first round game.
    4. The NDSU men's team won their conference in their first year of eligibility and played Kansas(yes, that Kansas) to a 10 point game in the NCAA Tournament. (The SDSU men played that same Bison team to OT in Frost Arena earlier this year)
    5. The Lady Jackrabbits turned in possibly the MOST dominating performance of any team in the Women's NCCAA tournament in the first round. Humiliating a team that has qualified for the tournament 8 of the past 9 years.

Now, I know, I know.... there are very few, if any, posters here who opposed the move to D-I...and if they are here....they probably don't go bragging about it. But, forgive me for a moment.

You see, I remember spending the better part of two years( the last year of D-II, and the first year of D-I transition) getting attacked by people. Being told it was "stupid", that USD was "right" and SDSU was "wrong". All Dr. Oien and the University were doing was hurting our Schools, and our State. "We'd Never Compete" on the big stage, and that "they should just leave it alone".

Well, I plan on ordering a big box of lemons. I'm sending them out to everyone who ever doubted SDSU (and NDSU for that matter) and telling them to go ahead and suck on them.

The delicious irony of USD declaring 4 years later that D-II was becoming watered-down, and they too would move up to D-I(as Dr. Oien predicted) is just dessert. The "Princeton of the Praries" line keeps getting funnier and funnier as the years go on.

So please enjoy watching the Lady Rabbits play on espn2 tomorrow night, and also remember that many people, I repeat many people....just a few years ago wanted to deny our young ladies the opportunity to do this, and thought there was no way we could play with the "big schools".

Re: Calling all the mamby pambies!

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    Yeah, you.

The people who said the move to division I was a mistake.

The people who said we couldn't compete.

The people who said the NCC was just as good.

The people who said that it would be the start of the end, and our schools would struggle in mediocrity for decades to come.

(PS. Most of these people live in Vermillion and Sioux Falls, and graduated from Augie and the U, although....there were also some very loud SDSU fans who were also opposed to the move.)

Well, lets see how your predictions have turned out?

1. The SDSU football team won it's conference for the first time in @ 40 years, and this year JUST missed making the playoffs and winning possibly the toughest conference in the FCS.
    2. The SDSU women's volleyball team qualified for the NCAA tournament in it's first year of eligibility.
    3. The SDSU women's Soccer team also qualified for the tournament and won their first round game.
    4. The NDSU men's team won their conference in their first year of eligibility and played Kansas(yes, that Kansas) to a 10 point game in the NCAA Tournament. (The SDSU men played that same Bison team to OT in Frost Arena earlier this year)
    5. The Lady Jackrabbits turned in possibly the MOST dominating performance of any team in the Women's NCCAA tournament in the first round. Humiliating a team that has qualified for the tournament 8 of the past 9 years.

Now, I know, I know.... there are very few, if any, posters here who opposed the move to D-I...and if they are here....they probably don't go bragging about it. But, forgive me for a moment.

You see, I remember spending the better part of two years( the last year of D-II, and the first year of D-I transition) getting attacked by people. Being told it was "stupid", that USD was "right" and SDSU was "wrong". All Dr. Oien and the University were doing was hurting our Schools, and our State. "We'd Never Compete" on the big stage, and that "they should just leave it alone".

Well, I plan on ordering a big box of lemons. I'm sending them out to everyone who ever doubted SDSU (and NDSU for that matter) and telling them to go ahead and suck on them.

The delicious irony of USD declaring 4 years later that D-II was becoming watered-down, and they too would move up to D-I(as Dr. Oien predicted) is just dessert. The "Princeton of the Praries" line keeps getting funnier and funnier as the years go on.

So please enjoy watching the Lady Rabbits play on espn2 tomorrow night, and also remember that many people, I repeat many people....just a few years ago wanted to deny our young ladies the opportunity to do this, and thought there was no way we could play with the "big schools".
    AMEN, AMEN, AAAAAAAAMEN!!!!!!

I call open the entire Jackrabbit Nation to bestow positve rep points on our brother da_coach! Lot of people enjoying a massive serving of crow about now!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Talk to Zimmer from the Argus Leader. He had some throwaway line THIS WEEK about how many top D2 teams could compete in the D1 tourney. When called on it, he walked it back pretty quickly (said something about how, if SDSU could beat TCU by 50, made him wonder how many top D2 teams could compete). Oh, give it a rest already. It's different. Can I quantify it? No. But anybody with two eyeballs can see it's a different level.

Sheesh.

That stupid mentality still exists out there. Zimmer seems like a sensible fellow so that one surprised me a bit. Yes, USD played UNC tough in a throwaway game. But this is the freakin' NCAA tournament. It's different.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Talk to Zimmer from the Argus Leader. He had some throwaway line THIS WEEK about how many top D2 teams could compete in the D1 tourney. When called on it, he walked it back pretty quickly (said something about how, if SDSU could beat TCU by 50, made him wonder how many top D2 teams could compete). Oh, give it a rest already. It's different. Can I quantify it? No. But anybody with two eyeballs can see it's a different level.

Sheesh.

That stupid mentality still exists out there. Zimmer seems like a sensible fellow so that one surprised me a bit. Yes, USD played UNC tough in a throwaway game. But this is the freakin' NCAA tournament. It's different.
        The comment by Zimmer surprised me as well. He was at the Summit League tournament and I thought he said he was very impressed by the level of play.

Comment

dont forget.. SCREW YOU SIOUX!! (they even had a press conference to say that NDSU & SDSU was out of their minds for going D1)

funny.. how's that crow taste??

Comment

I think its important to remember the Zimmer spends most of his time covering DII and NAIA events.

How many of us would have said the same thing 8 years ago?
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I think its important to remember the Zimmer spends most of his time covering DII and NAIA events.

How many of us would have said the same thing 8 years ago?
              It's been a tough transition for some people to not be (or cover) the biggest thing in town any more . . . tougher on some than on others.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                I’m in the process of organizing a petition to compel the USD administration to erect a monument in Dr. Oien’s honor, maybe right in front of the “DakotaDump.” Of course, such a location would undoubtedly be seen as an insult in the minds of some State types.

I admire many of the accomplishments of SDSU’s sports programs. However, with relative success has come a certain arrogance, a kind which has blinded its hosts with unexpectedly severe delusions of superiority. I cannot say all SDSU fans are afflicted by such shortsightedness, but I can cite many examples on this board and in conversation that suggest my observation is not narrowly limited.

I suppose it’s fair for State fans to pound their chests a bit. Enduring storms of criticism – most cast from the USD community – did not deter SDSU from proving itself worthy to compete at the Division I level. Bravo. Yet, I find it troubling to encounter an otherwise admirable blue and yellow pride tainted by a wretchedly distorted view of the collegiate landscape upon which it operates.

SDSU deserves credit for being the first to make the jump. No doubt about that. So here’s your credit. That’s about where it ends for me and many other USD supporters. Our focus now is to aggressively push USD forward (thanks for the roadmap). Whether SDSU and USD should resume a rivalry has been and is a hot-button issue. It’s as much a question of whether it fits into USD’s plan as it is whether it fits into State’s plan. Given the tradition and caliber of both schools’ athletic programs, I see too many benefits. It's really the best of both worlds.

I can appreciate those who thoughtfully weigh the legitimate pros and cons of a renewed rivalry (don’t kid yourself thinking “thoughtfully” incorporates the notion that USD is light years behind SDSU in terms athletic talent). But I suspect significant resistance rests with those who harbor feelings of scorn (many of whom ironically claim to be the forward-thinking ones). The fact of the matter is that which university went first is a detail rapidly fading in relevancy.

Did I sling mud at SDSU when it made the jump? Of course I did. I was a 21-year-old USD student. Ribbing SDSU was part of the core curriculum. Wouldn’t change that fact if I could. Am I a bit bewildered as to how emotional and thin-skinned some Staters have acted and continue to act whenever this subject is broached? Undoubtedly (e.g., incessant whining about the Argus Leader).

I can take the mud as well as I can sling it, and I expect it (and, in some ways, I celebrate it). But what I find a bit absurd are some of pompous remarks I encounter here and elsewhere that leave me little choice but to simply laugh and shake my head. I won’t dignify such nonsense with specific reference. I’ll simply end by expressing my excitement for the imminent and inevitable point at which USD has the honor and distinct privilege of merely sharing a playing surface with South Dakota’s foremost Division I institution. After all, that’s the only game we could possibly care about. What a dream!

As I’ve mentioned before, we may have followed you into Division I, but you’ll soon be following us in the standings.

Fashionably Late,
                USD
                University of South Dakota:
                Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Statue of Oien in front of the Dakota Dome?

You mean like this, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boll_Weevil_Monument

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of that famous Johnny Cash picture? Don't have time to find it to post it. I'm sure someone will put their finger on it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well thought out post yotemeal. I enjoyed it and agree with all of it (I'm sure you guys are all shocked). The Argus bashing (but TV blowing) on this board is hilarious.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I will admit that I was one of those people not happy about the move. I enjoyed what we had, but I am enjoying what we have now even more.

I was never against the move, just not happy about it and worried where it would take us. Call it a fear of the unknown. My love and appreciation for South Dakota State University never waivered. It took a while for me to get on board completely, but I trusted the leaders of the school and athletic department to do what they felt was best.

I guess if that makes me a mamby pambie so be it. I think I will still be able to get to sleep tonight. (Depending on how the women play.)

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

WOW, look at that statue. If USD ever erected that on campus they would finally know what it was like to grow a pair.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                            Did I sling mud at SDSU when it made the jump? Of course I did. I was a 21-year-old USD student. Ribbing SDSU was part of the core curriculum.
                            USD
                            Explains everything right there

Comment

**Repeats to self: I will not fall into this trap, I will not fall into this trap, I will not fall into this trap...**

Okay just one, I can't wait until SDSU embarrasses USD on a regular basis on the playing field. It will just be a resumption of our recent 15 year dominance over udot in Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and most definitely football. That's why that part at the end of yotemeal's rant about following in the standings is so funny.

DAMN IT!!! I told myself not to get involved!!!!
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X