Donate Back Former Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donate Back Former Players

I just got done reading how people are sick of looking at the dirt pile @ Erv Heuther Field. Here is my suggestion to help fix the problem.

As a former player (who donates back to the baseball program) I have an easy way to solve some of these problems. Former players put your money where your mouth is. Donate back to the program.

I know the economy is tough, but just think how tough it would be without the education you received from SDSU (and for many of us the scholarship we recieved while there).

$20 a month (Jackrabbit Club Membership) times every player that went through the system = Enough money to get the job done.

Nothing gets done for free. Everything has a price. So if you don't want to see the dirt pile anymore, make a call to the athletic office and make something happen. Baseball is a non-revenue sport and until some of us step to the plate nothing is going to change. It's reality!

Note - You can designate 100% of your gift to the baseball program.

Re: Donate Back Former Players

6-4-3, check your PM.
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I played at SDSU and have donated more than enough money to SDSU. Some of us choose to wait and see the future direction our athletic department. Many of us have been misled more than once.

Despite the opinions people may have on certain sports all have their importance and should be treated appropriately. You don't need to raise money to move a pile of dirt, that is an issue of respect.

I believe the song "yellow taxi cab" speaks for most baseball alum, at least from my generation.

JOEL ERDMANN FOR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR

Comment

Joe - It's unfortunate that the athletic office has misled you. They have been nothing but honest and forthright with me. When Erv Heuther Field (Original) was made into a parking lot they promised me a new Heuther Field was in the future. Was I convinced that the field would be built - no. But I beleived in what they were telling me and now Erv Heuther Field exists - again. Is it perfect - no. Work still needs to be done. But I will stand 100% behind my comment that nothing gets done for free. That's life. My point is there are a lot of former players who benefitted greatly from the SDSU baseball program and donors. It's our time to step to the plate and make sure this legacy continues for kids who love the game as much as we do.
        Last edited by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit; 03-21-2009, 10:18 AM. Reason: changed mind

Comment

Interesting comment by my Snookums (who as some know played volleyball for Tennessee) . . . she was talking to the women's assistant AD at UT, asking about donations from former athletes. Ass't AD said something to the effect of "you'd be surprised how few former athletes actually donate to the program after they graduate. You're one of the few who does, which is why we appreciate it so much."

Just thought I'd throw that out into the thread . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Everyone is very entitled to their own opinions.

At the end of the day, I try to focus on the experience that the student-athletes have while at SDSU and then the fans. Its not about the coaches or the administrators.

Baseball has been dealt a couple of tough blows over the years that resulted in overall plans for the Athletic Dept. and they have been well stated. Where is it going? There isn't any question that the new Erv Huether Field is going to be a great place to watch a baseball game. Those dollars have to come from somewhere whether it is general fund, boosters, sponsorships, or even former players.

We all play a part and we all decide for ourselves how big a part we are going to play. I believe the above poster is correct that you can give a gift dedicated to finishing the field. Every dollar counts!

I'm looking forward to watching some baseball!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Former players believe they made money for the school in ticket sales and donations. They've done their part.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                Former players believe they made money for the school in ticket sales and donations. They've done their part.

If they DO actually believe this....they don't get it. Here's to hoping you're wrong.

BTW...I do know there are former SDSU athletes (on this board) who definitely DON'T feel this way.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

You are right. I should have said some former players.

Comment

Cowbell is correct. I have a friend who was the Foundation Director -Athletics Division at the University of Miami. You would think pretty easy job. Multi-millionaire football players everywhere. Like he used to tell me. "There's a reason the Canes play in the Orange Bowl and it's not tradition." I know since then they have moved to Joe Robbi, Pro Player, or whatever they call it stadium. Most athletes don't give back and it's sad. He has since moved on to the University of Illinois and said that getting donations from athletes is a little easier than at Miami.

As I said in the orginal post. I would ask all former SDSU baseball players to donate the minimum gift of $25 per month to the baseball program. GO RABBITS!

Comment

It's really hard for me to understand the mentality if even some of the former players believe that statement. If anyone thinks that baseball ticket sales provide a lot of dough for the department...think again. I'm a track guy, and I know track doesn't bring any revenue in to speak of, but we still have a track program.

Track is worse off than baseball as far as facilities. As a former SDSU track letterman, my wife and I have an endowed track scholarship. We will never be able to give back as much to that program as it deserves from us. And while my donation level is pretty much all I can afford, I'm going to send a donation to the department for "baseball field improvements", because I would like to see Huether Field finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        It's really hard for me to understand the mentality if even some of the former players believe that statement. If anyone thinks that baseball ticket sales provide a lot of dough for the department...think again. I'm a track guy, and I know track doesn't bring any revenue in to speak of, but we still have a track program.

Track is worse off than baseball as far as facilities. As a former SDSU track letterman, my wife and I have an endowed track scholarship. We will never be able to give back as much to that program as it deserves from us. And while my donation level is pretty much all I can afford, I'm going to send a donation to the department for "baseball field improvements", because I would like to see Huether Field finished.
                        Wow - I wish we could get a few former baseball players to think the way you do. Thanks!

Comment

I know you've clarified your post saying some former players feel this way. Don't take this as directed at you Cowbell, just commenting on the statement.

Any former player, scholarship or otherwise who feels this way needs to have their head checked. All of us former athletes put in more time and effort into our sports than the typical student put into most anything they did on campus. That doesn't exempt us from donating back to the University that supplied us with an education which is hopefully allowing us to have viable careers. I could honestly be a-hole #1 and say that my efforts put plenty of butts in the seats and my name was used to recruit plenty of subsequent athletes who did the same, therefore I'm exempt from donating. But it's not about just donating to the athletic department. Colleges across the University need financial support as well. So if any former athlete feels they did their part in putting ticket revenue in the athletic department's pocket ask them what they did to put revenue in the College of Arts & Science's pocket (for instance). And maybe ask them what it cost the athletic department in expenses for them to receive their education and/or participate in their chosen sport. Last I checked coaches, administrative staff, equipment staff and maintenance staff weren't free. Oh, and remind them that participation in their sport was voluntary, so if they don't want to volunteer any money back into a program maybe they should consider the degree they received.

I may not be a poster child for donating like some well respected members of the board (thank you Jacks#1Fan and Nidaros to name two), but I do know when I am in a better position financially I will be doing what I can to pay back my scholarship and then some.
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

I don't think you're going to find many baseball players who actually think they provided any revenue to the school. The baseball team knows they produce no revenue for the school. The majority of baseball alumni I speak to don't donate for other reasons (not financially able, ill feelings towards the program, etc.)
                            “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I think our former athletes have given very generously. Amongst the list of perpetual scholarships, you will find a number of former legends and athletes who were very proud to be part of the representation of SDSU. I suppose there are a few former athletes out there with bad tastes in their mouths for any number of reasons, but they are vastly outnumbered. I found it interesting that Dana Dykhouse announced at the groundbreaking ceremonies that he wanted to call every former letterwinner in football for a donation. If Dana sensed any resistence in doing this calling, I dont think he would have mentioned it at the groundbreaking ceremonies. He knows he will get good results and it appears to be happening already, with the President's brother who I believe gave generously.

I think the baseball guys will come through. More power to them and maybe a domed facility would be the best way to deal with the weather and our short seasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X