Bison get $0 for Tourney Bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison get $0 for Tourney Bid

CNBC just had a report that NDSU gets $0 money for the bid since they agreed to not receive a share of Summit League money until next year. On the otherhand Louisville receives 16.5M
    Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Re: Bison get $0 for Tourney Bid

That sucks. I am sure SDSU would have been in the same boat had they made it instead of NDSU.

I assume it was a stipulation of joining the league in that they couldn't share in the NCAA tournament revenue.

What would really suck is if NDSU went on a run and won a couple games because I believe if you win the revenue you get is increased.

Comment

I suspect that IPFW and SDSU will receive zip of the Summit League share as well as I am sure they all agreed to the same terms when they were admitted to the conference. BTW this is a serious subject worthy of discussion and perhaps belongs somewere els.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        That sucks. I am sure SDSU would have been in the same boat had they made it instead of NDSU.

I assume it was a stipulation of joining the league in that they couldn't share in the NCAA tournament revenue.

What would really suck is if NDSU went on a run and won a couple games because I believe if you win the revenue you get is increased.
        This would be my understanding as well. I think everyone was anxious to get into a confernce and maybe we could have been better negiotators.

Comment

This has been discussed at length on bisonville but I can share the little I know.

$0 for the first three years in the Summit due to the agreement for membership.

The Summit splits the pie to all the member schools. If a team makes it past the first round, the distribution amount would increase.

great article about this stuff

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....173e5d7f.html

Comment

Does this affect the SDSU women's team, cause it sounds like it would,

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              Does this affect the SDSU women's team, cause it sounds like it would,
              I wouldn't think so because the conference doesn't get a big payout from the women's tourney like it does from the men's. Basically, the participating teams for the Women's NCAA Tournament are given funds to pay for travel/accomodations for each round.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I wouldn't think so because the conference doesn't get a big payout from the women's tourney like it does from the men's. Basically, the participating teams for the Women's NCAA Tournament are given funds to pay for travel/accomodations for each round.
                There is no payout for the women's teams. There are payouts, apparently, only for the men's baseball & basketball tournaments.

Louisville gets $16M because of the number of games won by Big East teams over the past 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  There is no payout for the women's teams. There are payouts, apparently, only for the men's baseball & basketball tournaments.

Louisville gets $16M because of the number of games won by Big East teams over the past 6 years.
                  I believe a portion, NOT A BIG PORTION, of the CBS contract is set aside by the NCAA to finance D2 and D3 playoffs. I have not been able to find a good search, but I wonder if the women's tourney is not also financed by this set aside portion. This is also the reason that if Augie makes the Elite Eight, its travel costs are covered in full by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I believe a portion, NOT A BIG PORTION, of the CBS contract is set aside by the NCAA to finance D2 and D3 playoffs. I have not been able to find a good search, but I wonder if the women's tourney is not also financed by this set aside portion. This is also the reason that if Augie makes the Elite Eight, its travel costs are covered in full by the NCAA.
                    According to TV, from earlier this year, NINETY PERCENT OF THE NCAA BUDGET COMES FROM THE FINAL FOUR.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...df?MOD=AJPERES

Enjoy reading it.....

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent;115141
                      [COLOR=black
                      $0 for the first three years in the Summit due to the agreement for membership.[/COLOR]
                      I think we just stumbled on to Nagy's plan. No point in trying to make the tourney if we aren't getting payed.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                        I think we just stumbled on to Nagy's plan. No point in trying to make the tourney if we aren't getting payed.
                        Payed? you obviously mean paid. No problem, but I agree its Nagy's plan in action

Comment

In the Summit, like most conferences, you don't get more money if you are the school that goes to the tourney. NDSU, SDSU, & IPFW all gave up their share of the basketball payout for three years. Because a share stays in the "system" for six years, our three schools will end up getting 17% of the 2006 share, 33% of 2007, 50% of 2008, 67% of 2009, 83% of 2010, and 100% of 2011's shares onward. Since we weren't even in the conference in 2006 & 2007, and we weren't eligible for the tourney in 2008, I don't think we have a lot of room to complain. In fact, assuming no tournament wins in 2009-10, the arrangement is perfectly fair. Also, both our schools started getting non-basketball NCAA payouts last fall(2008). Those payouts come straight to the school and aren't affected by the agreement we made with the Summit.

BTW, the real winner this year(and for the next 6) is the OVC. With Morehead State's win tonight in the play-in game, they just secured another share of the 2009 pie. That's around $1.5 million for 40 minutes of work(adjusting for future inflation).
                          Last edited by Hammersmith; 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                            In the Summit, like most conferences, you don't get more money if you are the school that goes to the tourney. NDSU, SDSU, & IPFW all gave up their share of the basketball payout for three years. Because a share stays in the "system" for six years, our three schools will end up getting 17% of the 2006 share, 33% of 2007, 50% of 2008, 67% of 2009, 83% of 2010, and 100% of 2011's shares onward. Since we weren't even in the conference in 2006 & 2007, and we weren't eligible for the tourney in 2008, I don't think we have a lot of room to complain. In fact, assuming no tournament wins in 2009-10, the arrangement is perfectly fair. Also, both our schools started getting non-basketball NCAA payouts last fall(2008). Those payouts come straight to the school and aren't affected by the agreement we made with the Summit.

BTW, the real winner this year(and for the next 6) is the OVC. With Morehead State's win tonight in the play-in game, they just secured another share of the 2009 pie. That's around $1.5 million for 40 minutes of work(adjusting for future inflation).

Good Luck Bison, hope you can win a round or two, and increase the Summit share.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post

I don't know where HS gets his information, but much of what is said above is incorrect. I won't speak for IPFW, but NDSU and SDSU agreed to the following: Both schools agreed they would get 0% for TWO years, and next year will get 50%. There were NO automatic payouts going straight to the two schools from the NCAA (non-basketball) last fall. The two schools could apply for some special monies available (minority, etc.) but no automatic payments. However, this year, both schools will start receiving (expected in June) NCAA grant money based on number of scholarships offered, and number of sports offered. I'm not sure of the amounts for other schools, but SDSU's grant is expected to be around $600,000.

Comment

Working...
                              X