Household Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Household Name

Man, if our stars can pull out one more fantastic game, we'll be a household name.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...87&postcount=6

Can someone tell me why this is so important to some Bison fans?

I mean, it's almost like the win is of secondary importance, compared to the recognition (see also: McBison mugging for the camera and then taking pictures of himself on DVR after NDSU beat Oakland)

What gives?

Will some SDSU fans react similarly when SDSU goes to the men's tournament?

Re: Household Name

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

I mean, it's almost like the win is of secondary importance, compared to the recognition (see also: McBison mugging for the camera and then taking pictures of himself on DVR after NDSU beat Oakland)

What gives?

Inferiority complex?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Inferiority complex?
      I think that's pretty easy to come across in both Dakotas.....

Comment

I say act like youv'e been there before even if you haven't!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I say act like youv'e been there before even if you haven't!
          Or, if you're going to celebrate, do it like Stacie Oistad not McBison.
          Last edited by zooropa; 03-15-2009, 06:02 PM.

Comment

[quote=zooropa;115001]Or, if you're going to celebrate. Do it like Stacie Oistad not McBison.[/quote]

Please, don't put these two in the same sentence!

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Or, if you're going to celebrate. Do it like Stacie Oistad not McBison.

Please, don't put these two in the same sentence!
              Only as polar opposites

Comment

I would suggest the answer would be yes. Take a look at some of the women's threads then multiply it by 10 if the men make it in.

Realistically, its going to take a Gonzaga like effort (making it a few years in a row and making runs into the sweet 16 each time) before any mid major team is a household name but they would get some nice recognition to end the year and probably get brought back up to start the year next year.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Z, why you got to be such a downer all the time?

Comment

What gives?

When I first read the above, I thought "yes, some SDSU fans will react similarly". I do not begrudge the sentiment expressed by some of the Bison fans.

Later, I read one of filbert's posts on another thread, linking a headline on KansasCity.com (The Kansas City Star) stating "KU seeded 3rd in Midwest, plays S.Dakota St. in Minneapolis". So, perhaps the Bison are justified in wanting to become a household name.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8118

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                      I would suggest the answer would be yes. Take a look at some of the women's threads then multiply it by 10 if the men make it in.
                      Would the men making it in as a conference AQ be that much more significant than the women making it in as a high seed?

Comment

I think so zooropa. Regardless of what has happened since transition SDSU will always be a Men's BBall school. If things start to go well for the men the place will go crazy.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Would the men making it in as a conference AQ be that much more significant than the women making it in as a high seed?
                          I think the honest answer is yes, at least in terms of fan intensity and general interest level. Take the intensity and interest in the success of this year's SDSU women's team, and double it--at least.

I firmly believe that the larger segment of the SDSU community just sees "basketball" and doesn't see "men's" or "women's" in front of it. I think that's a credit to the SDSU community that we'll turn out 6,000 fans for a women's basketball team. There really aren't all that many D-I schools who will do that. And believe me, it's being noticed in the women's basketball community.

Still there are many casual fans who don't give a darn about women's basketball, who would be drawn in if the Jackrabbit men earned an NCAA bid.

It may not be "right" but it's the way things are.

So, if our women can draw 6k for a conference championship, the men would easily draw 9k or more, if there was a venue in the Sioux River Valley that still accommodated that number. It's just the way things are.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Still there are many casual fans who don't give a darn about women's basketball, who would be drawn in if the Jackrabbit men earned an NCAA bid.
                            But are they the kind of people that would come around here and start chirping about being a household name?

BTW: How about this, after the final attendance numbers are released---do a ratio of average attendance at both M & W games, and rank schools by the ratio. How many schools are at or above 1:1?

Comment

I don't begrudge the NDSU folks for their chest-beating and likewise behavior for making the men's BB field. More power to them. If they win a game or two, SDSU benefits from the extra shares they make from the NCAA. So even though I'm a KU fan in any game they're not playing SDSU, I'll have to pull for the Bizon on Friday.

But I also credit the SDSU folks for their full-throated backing of our women's team. We've got a really good thing going in women's BB right now and I hope everyone will hop on. It could be a REALLY interesting ride.

See y'all in St. Louis!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X