• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison draw Kansas in Minneapolis

for the NCAA men's tournament.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Bison draw Kansas in Minneapolis

Initial impression:

1) Probably the best possible draw for NDSU.

2) KU is going to be ANGRY after losing in their first Big 12 conference tournament game.

3) Crowd will probably be evenly split between NDSU (who travels really well, especially to Mpls.) and KU (who travels really well everywhere).

4) I expect this game to be a LOT closer than many will expect. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Bison pulled off an upset. If I were putting money down I'd probably go with KU, however, just based on superior athletic ability and Bill Self.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Don't forget Kansas has struggled in the first round in recent years (minus last year)

Comment

How fortunate that NDSU gets to play next door in MN. That is the best draw for them (location wise). Getting Kansas wasn't the greatest but who knows what can happen with the Bizon fans.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I don't give NDSU a shot at an upset here.....

However, having NDSU in the game means that Metrodome won't come off as a thoroughly unsuitable and outrageously bad first round site, since the Bison faithful will buy tickets by the bucketful......

Comment

There has been some whining over on Bisonville about them deserving better than a 14 seed. Playing Kansas a half days' drive from home in your first NCAA tournament? How can you whine about that?

A Bucknell Bison-like repeat upset ain't happening, though. Kansas is more dangerous today than it was a week ago. These are the defending national champs with a chip on their shoulders and something to prove after what happened Big 12 tournament. They are coached by one of the top five coaches in the country. And their fans are, well, their fans - this is a veritable home tournament game for these fans.

Comment

You could argue that NDSU deserved a better seed, but they couldn't have gotten a better site.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

KU seeded 3rd in Midwest, plays S. Dakota St. in Minneapolis

The headline will undoubtedly be corrected before long. (Kansas City Star)
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oakland and ORU shut out of the NIT

Comment

Until multiple Summit teams go out and beat big-name opponents in a single year, the league will continue to be less than respected in D-I. It takes more than one team having a good year--we need to have three or four teams that each win a couple of games they're "not supposed to win" while not losing games they should win, and do that over several consecutive seasons before we'll get any respect at all.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I printed the Kansas City Star headline filbert cited...putting that in the "save" file for future fun.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Initial impression:

1) Probably the best possible draw for NDSU.

2) KU is going to be ANGRY after losing in their first Big 12 conference tournament game.

3) Crowd will probably be evenly split between NDSU (who travels really well, especially to Mpls.) and KU (who travels really well everywhere).

4) I expect this game to be a LOT closer than many will expect. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Bison pulled off an upset. If I were putting money down I'd probably go with KU, however, just based on superior athletic ability and Bill Self.
                        Angry is an understatement - I heard a clip from Coach Self saying his team was going to have 2 days of some of the hardest practices they have seen.Also,Cole Aldrich is a beast - I don't think the Bison have anyone who can handle him.Plus,he has the added incentive of playing in his hometown.

Comment

Until multiple Summit teams go out and beat big-name opponents in a single year, the league will continue to be less than respected in D-I. It takes more than one team having a good year--we need to have three or four teams that each win a couple of games they're "not supposed to win" while not losing games they should win, and do that over several consecutive seasons before we'll get any respect at all.
                          Don't you think that being part of the bracketbusters conference wide would be an intelligent addition to the summit plan. Instead of playing in conference on those days Oakland and ORU could have been playing someone decent from a mid major (i.e. NDSU vs UWGB) they both would likely be playing for something still.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                            Don't you think that being part of the bracketbusters conference wide would be an intelligent addition to the summit plan. Instead of playing in conference on those days Oakland and ORU could have been playing someone decent from a mid major (i.e. NDSU vs UWGB) they both would likely be playing for something still.
                            Yes, but you have to talk ESPN into it . . . they're running the Bracketbusters show (literally).
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

KU seeded 3rd in Midwest, plays S. Dakota St. in Minneapolis

The headline will undoubtedly be corrected before long. (Kansas City Star)
                              Hey Lakes, which team has more national recognition?

Sorry for the smackishness of this post.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X