Delaware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware

GannonFan on AGS has posted that there is talk that the SDSU v Delaware series may be dropped due to mutual consent. Anyone heard anything?

Personally, I'm all for it. They can do better than a 2 for 1 with any FCS team.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Delaware

I'd favor that. Let's get a home and home with somebody else. If true, I'm betting this is part of an effort to limit the difficulty of our out-of-conference schedule a bit.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My guess is travel cost, and mutual respect.
      “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ok, just as well bring it up and get slapped for it.

If this does happen who replaces Delaware on the schedule? My money is on USD to cover at least 2 of the 3 games.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post

If this does happen who replaces Delaware on the schedule? My money is on USD to cover at least 2 of the 3 games.
          EQ, I reluctantly have to agree with you. Things are a changin' in a hurry...

Comment

I think you're right on. I gave you some rep points to help offset any negative backlash . . .

I believe that this contract was set up before SDSU joined the Missouri Valley Football Conference when SDSU needed to fill up their schedule any possible way they could. With a grueling conference schedule and a FBS game planned every year, only two spots remain. We might as well as fill them up with cheap, winnable games to boost the pocket book and make it easier to reach 8 wins and the playoffs (matching last season's 6-2 MVFC usually would do it in a 11-game season).

USD would fit the bill perfectly and would make things politically easier for SDSU, particularly when USD joins the Summit League.

Comment

I'm not so sure USD is a gimmy win, but would certainly bring in a big payday. I would suspect a 2 for 1 home game scenario?

Comment

I don't suspect it is going to be easily winnable either. They will definitely be pumped to show the state they aren't the stepsister they have been treated like lately. I just think that if you're making a schedule and you have a budget, setting up a game where you know you are going to get 15K + at home and only have to take 2 busses and buy some pizza to travel to. You just can't pass it up. If it were up to me I'd try to make it a 2 for 1 with the 1 in Sioux Falls but I would be willing to bet that is not likely.
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

I sure as heck hope we aren't dumping games against a DIAA/FCS power for games with a transitional team. I don't think that's consistent with the direction we have taken thus far and I don't see anything wrong with the current direction.

I understand that this contract may have been established before we joined the MVFC and now we aren't thrilled about a 2 for 1 that might not include the 1 but lets not assume that we are trading these games for a match up with UND or USD. Maybe we are, I hope not.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

my guess if it is true, that they will probably keep them open because they are the only open dates they have open.... You can fill a game with USD on pretty short notice, they don't even have a full schedule this year.... So what I'm saying is they would probably try to get a strong oponent or atleast decent and then if they don't they can always add USD....

Comment

I think now that we've gotten a good look at the MVFC, we need to be reasonable with our out-of-conference scheduling.

With eight conference games, you have three OOC games to play with in most years.

One of those you have to go get pummeled by a BCS school to get the guarantee. Ideally, you schedule a relatively easy home game for the first game of the year, and then get a home & home with a strong out-of-conference FCS opponent.

Not much room for USD until they meet that critieria for strong OOC opponent (I won't call them a relatively easy opponent for the first game, since they won't be.)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        I think now that we've gotten a good look at the MVFC, we need to be reasonable with our out-of-conference scheduling.

With eight conference games, you have three OOC games to play with in most years.

One of those you have to go get pummeled by a BCS school to get the guarantee. Ideally, you schedule a relatively easy home game for the first game of the year, and then get a home & home with a strong out-of-conference FCS opponent.

Not much room for USD until they meet that critieria for strong OOC opponent (I won't call them a relatively easy opponent for the first game, since they won't be.)

Ironically, Delaware's decision may very well have something to do with the decision to revive the Delaware-Delaware State rivalry. The scheduling was announced a couple weeks ago: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2009/feb/football022409.html

The article cites other in-state rivalries as a reason to revive this series, what it means to state sports fans, etc., etc. Shouldn't that, and not whether or not the Jacks can get an opening pushover or get "pummeled" by the big boys, be a primary motivation in future schedules? If so, then Jacks-Yotes needs to be revived ASAP.

You have to give USD credit for ramping up after that truly abysmal '08 schedule. Has it been noted on this board that the Yotes will be playing at Wisconsin in 2011?

Comment

Wouldn't it be ironic if a state rivalry getting rivived in Delaware would cause a state rivalry to get revived in SD?

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Ironically, Delaware's decision may very well have something to do with the decision to revive the Delaware-Delaware State rivalry. The scheduling was announced a couple weeks ago: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2009/feb/football022409.html

The article cites other in-state rivalries as a reason to revive this series, what it means to state sports fans, etc., etc. Shouldn't that, and not whether or not the Jacks can get an opening pushover or get "pummeled" by the big boys, be a primary motivation in future schedules? If so, then Jacks-Yotes needs to be revived ASAP.

You have to give USD credit for ramping up after that truly abysmal '08 schedule. Has it been noted on this board that the Yotes will be playing at Wisconsin in 2011?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsValleyrabbit View Post
                            Wouldn't it be ironic if a state rivalry getting rivived in Delaware would cause a state rivalry to get revived in SD?
                            Kinda like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Kinda like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid
                              That or maybe a No Smoking sign on your cigarette break.

Comment

Working...
                              X