USD 09 Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD 09 Football Schedule

Amid all the hoopla surrounding the SDSU Jackrabbit ticket to the Big Dance the Univ of South Dakota released it's 2009 Football Schedule.

2009 USD Football Schedule
    Date Opponent
    Sept. 3 William Penn University

Sept. 12 @ University of Northern Iowa
    Sept. 19 University of Wisconsin, Stout
    Sept. 26 Southeastern Louisiana University

Oct. 3 @ University of North Dakota*
    Oct. 10 UC Davis (Dakota Days)*
    Oct. 17 @ Montana State University
    Oct. 31 @ University of Northern Colorado
    Nov. 7 Southern Utah University*
    Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*
    Home games in bold
    *Great West Conference game
    Times TBA
    USD will not shy away from quality competition in 2009, as the schedule includes eight games against Division I FCS foes, including two that qualified for the postseason a year ago (Northern Iowa and Cal Poly).

“This program is moving forward at an accelerated pace, and if you look at the ‘08 schedule compared to ‘09, you can see it right away,” Meierkort said. “We have some very good home games, including a big Dakota Days game with Cal-Davis. We’re right where we need to be. It’s time to get ourselves amped up and ready to go.”

“With the challenges of finding nonconference games during the transition to Division I, we’re pleased to have put together a competitive schedule in 2009,” USD Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen said. “We’re very excited about the eight FCS games on the schedule. To have a quality schedule against FCS teams in our second year of Division I is very important as we move forward.”

Re: USD 09 Football Schedule

They do have some good games on that schedule. Too bad they still have to play those D-III/NAIA schools, but thats the way things go right away as it did with us. I wonder if they got a 2 for 0 with Montana State which tends to be the M.O. in Montana for both universities. I could go without playing those guys (except for playoffs)

The thing that stuck out to me was Meierkort's statement about Cal-Davis. Coach better figure out that its NOT Cal-Davis, but UC Davis. I have heard rumblings that phrasing it as Cal-Davis pisses some people off in California. I am sure he wouldn't like it very much if they referred to udot as South Dakota State - Vermillion. Just saying. I wouldn't like it if an opposing coach didn't know who we were.

E.g., Cal-State Bakersfield vs. UC-Berkeley?

California State vs. University of California. Not the same.

EDIT: Maybe I am way off base and being a bit of a jerk since its USD. Maybe someone from CA can enlighten me.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
      Amid all the hoopla surrounding the SDSU Jackrabbit ticket to the Big Dance the Univ of South Dakota released it's 2009 Football Schedule.

2009 USD Football Schedule
      Date Opponent
      Sept. 3 William Penn University

Sept. 12 @ University of Northern Iowa
      Sept. 19 University of Wisconsin, Stout
      Sept. 26 Southeastern Louisiana University

Oct. 3 @ University of North Dakota*
      Oct. 10 UC Davis (Dakota Days)*
      Oct. 17 @ Montana State University
      Oct. 31 @ University of Northern Colorado
      Nov. 7 Southern Utah University*
      Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*
      Home games in bold
      *Great West Conference game
      Times TBA
      USD will not shy away from quality competition in 2009, as the schedule includes eight games against Division I FCS foes, including two that qualified for the postseason a year ago (Northern Iowa and Cal Poly).

“This program is moving forward at an accelerated pace, and if you look at the ‘08 schedule compared to ‘09, you can see it right away,” Meierkort said. “We have some very good home games, including a big Dakota Days game with Cal-Davis. We’re right where we need to be. It’s time to get ourselves amped up and ready to go.”

“With the challenges of finding nonconference games during the transition to Division I, we’re pleased to have put together a competitive schedule in 2009,” USD Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen said. “We’re very excited about the eight FCS games on the schedule. To have a quality schedule against FCS teams in our second year of Division I is very important as we move forward.”
      Very respectable schedule. I hope they do get at least 1 home game in the future from the BS conference. This will be the 2nd yr in a row at UNI. I think SELA is a return game. Did they play at UC-Davis last year?

Can they have an 11th game at the end of the year? If so, does anybody know if they are looking for one? 5 home games with 3 against FCS teams is pretty good.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree with the other posters: the Coyotes have a nice schedule for 09, probably about as tough as they could schedule in the second year of transition.

Scheduling UC-Davis for Dakota Days is a bold move and should pay off in an actual sellout crowd.

Comment

That is a good schedule. I'm sure it'll be more fun for Coyote fans than last year's schedule was.

KU is right about "Cal Davis". I've noticed that Mick Garry hasn't figured out the correct usage in the Argus.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

They are in contract talks for a 11th game....believed to be against a lower FBS team. Good luck in the NCAA WBB Tourney. I predict a deep run (not smack)
            Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              That is a good schedule. I'm sure it'll be more fun for Coyote fans than last year's schedule was.

KU is right about "Cal Davis". I've noticed that Mick Garry hasn't figured out the correct usage in the Argus.
              UC campuses

Berkeley
              Davis
              Irvine
              Los Angeles
              Merced
              Riverside
              San Diego
              San Francisco
              Santa Barbara
              Santa Cruz
              From living in California it is UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC San Diego not Cal-whatever. Cal is pretty much Berkeley. And its Cal State fill in the blank or whatever the name is San Diego State, SDSU, Sonoma State Univ, SSU.

Comment

Right. That's what everybody here is saying. We had this discussion about four years ago. It's UC-Davis. We've played them four times and have figured that out. I was agreeing with KULaw that "Cal Davis" is wrong. Mick Garry calls it Cal-Davis. He's wrong.

If you read this thread more carefully, you'll see that nobody here was arguing that Cal Davis is correct.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                  They are in contract talks for a 11th game....believed to be against a lower FBS team. Good luck in the NCAA WBB Tourney. I predict a deep run (not smack)
                  I thought I had heard that. The Athletic Dept deserves some credit here. This is a very good schedule for a team in its 2nd year of transition. Coyote fans should be excited. Heck, I might even make it over for the UC-Davis game on D-days if I can't swing the trip down to Missouri State.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I thought I had heard that. The Athletic Dept deserves some credit here. This is a very good schedule for a team in its 2nd year of transition. Coyote fans should be excited. Heck, I might even make it over for the UC-Davis game on D-days if I can't swing the trip down to Missouri State.
                    Yeah, I thought I had heard something about them playing Akron? Is that the lower tier FBS that they were in contact with?
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

If you read this thread more carefully, you'll see that nobody here was arguing that Cal Davis is correct.

Just agreeing with you JJ. It will take awhile for the USD people to get it straight and an educated man like Stu should, beings he's from Michigan-East Lansing.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        Yeah, I thought I had heard something about them playing Akron? Is that the lower tier FBS that they were in contact with?
                        Yes, Akron was the team, but Akron has since pulled out of that discussion because USD would be a non-counter for them.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...38/1002/sports

Comment

Too bad they pulled out of discussions. Just think of the headlines in the argus if they would have played.
                          Akron Zips the yotes mouths.

Comment

The 'Yotes have put together a much better schedule for next year.

Will they be going Greyhound to any of the trips like William Penn, Southeast Louisiana, or southern Utah? What a great experience for those kids. Really gives them a chance to se the country.

You could have a unique opportunity to travel to a historical school like William Penn. What if they offered a chance to travel with the team via covered wagon to play them? There could be a stop every day to let the team practice and the fans could enjoy pie while watching the practice.

Also, was wondering how many games will be played at Vermillion HS this year?

Enquiring minds.......

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post

Just agreeing with you JJ. It will take awhile for the USD people to get it straight and an educated man like Stu should, beings he's from Michigan-East Lansing.
                              Sorry. I thought all those links were there to set us right.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X