Cheer Squads/Dance Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheer Squads/Dance Teams

One observation that I made after watching all 14 games at the Summit Tourney is that SDSU and NDSU have a long ways to go to reach the same level that the other schools are at with their Cheer and Dance teams. We definitely rank last in the Summit. Are the SDSU cheerleaders being given sedatives prior to games?

Re: Cheer Squads/Dance Teams

Is cheering really that competitive in the Dakotas?

I mean didn't cheer/dance -just- become an SDHSAA sanctioned championship event?

Comment

OTOH -- mascots---

How great was Jack State?

Was there a better mascot at the games?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
        OTOH -- mascots---

I did like Jack trying to start the wave but having to stop at half court (don't believe the mascots were allowed to venture on each others side of the court). After running back and forth a few times, he dropped down on the court exhausted (even brought a smile to one of the refs).
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
          I did like Jack trying to start the wave but having to stop at half court (don't believe the mascots were allowed to venture on each others side of the court). After running back and forth a few times, he dropped down on the court exhausted (even brought a smile to one of the refs).
          Ahhhhh.... that would explain it. We were on the visitor's side and couldn't figure out what was going on.

And yeah, the wave and then the collapse was sort of the mascot highlight of the tournament.

I mean, granted, SDSU had home court, but shoot, those other mascots acted like they were afraid to venture more than 20 feet from the band.

BTW: I also liked it when the IUPUI Jaguar conducted the pep band.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            OTOH -- mascots---

Jack State was awesome all weekend! Best mascot in the tournament by far, he/she should be on an ESPN commercial.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I beleive that rule was put in because of last years mascot fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                My brother and I had the same rule in the back seat of the pontiac. Penalty for crossing the mid-line of the seat, backhand wack from dad.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Also, unlike 'Thundar' the bunny doesn't have a mullet.

Comment

"CHEER"/Dance teams at SDSU have really lost it when it comes to their role. In my opinion, they have two jobs. 1) Get the crowd motivated to cheer and 2) Give some sort of entertainment at timeout breaks and halftime.

SDSU cheer/dance teams really know nothing about the first issue. I think, again in my opinion, that they think their job is solely just to entertain at timeout breaks and halftime. They do nothing to get the crowd motivated at any time during the game. Even when they are out their at the timeout breaks, etc, it's just them doing some lifts (or whatever they are). No cheers or anything.

I remember one time after an SDSU basketball game the cheerleading squad was practicing their lifts on the court and looking around to see who was watching. (Because they probably think people are at the game to watch them). Someone needs to get a clue in that department at State because the cheer/dance teams at Oakland, etc really get the crowd motivated. (And their band was great, as well!) These cheer/dance teams are an asset to their team.

I sincerely apologize if this offends anyone, but I just think that we're way behind when it comes to this issue.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

My two cents: First, the dance team is a non-issue, because they weren’t at the tournament. Perhaps if they’d been present, the cheerleaders would have had more impact. Second, at the tourney, our cheerleaders did what they always do—try to look cute while cheering. Our crowd, especially the students, leads the cheers at home games, and the same happened at the tournament. The difference between a typical game and the tourney is the lack of a designated student section. As this was my first D1 tournament, I’m not sure if that’s normal, but it certainly would have helped the cheerleaders’ appearance if they’d had a student section to lead the cheers.

The cheerleaders need to decide whether their role is bringing energy/leading spirit or using other’s energy/following spirit. Yesterday afternoon, the crowd didn’t need the cheerleaders to lead. Monday night was a different story. I sat in front of Nagy during the women’s championship game, and he showed no emotion—no smiling, no clapping, no cheering. I couldn’t help but wonder if he felt betrayed by the crowd. When the women got down by 14, we (and since I was there, I include myself—only fair) refused to let them give up; when the men got down by 15, we seemed to write them off.

And while I'm at it, it would be awesome if our pep band got involved in the games like the other teams' bands. Like the cheerleaders, our band filled their normal role at tournament, albeit at a decreased volume level probably due to spring break absences.

I, too, apologize if I've offended anyone--as a non-regular poster, just sharing my observations.

Comment

Originally posted by rrrabbit View Post
                        I sat in front of Nagy during the women’s championship game, and he showed no emotion—no smiling, no clapping, no cheering.
                        That kind of sounds like him, though. Nagy is not an excitable guy. I certainly don't think he felt 'betrayed'. Of all the people there, he'd be the last guy I'd expect to resent the different treatment of the teams.

And the fans did not let up for the women, because after they got down 14, they started to play better. They got settled in. You could tell that they were playing better, that they were going to play their way back into it. Conversely, it was all to clear that the men were out of it long before the first half ended.

He's certainly aware that support like that is earned. And, as Macie said in the post-game, "we have to bring that energy."

The Jacks need a Macie Michelson on the men's side.

Comment

I don't know how the student section is at State anymore since I graduated in 1977. Are they spread out, behind the benches, or in the end zones?

At Oakland Univ the student section is behind the visitors bench and is called the Grizzley Den. The band is in the end zone also behind and beside the visitors bench. The cheer team and dance team is also in that end of the court. They get loud and keep it up the entire game. During timeouts the visitors usually have to go out on the court to huddle to get away from the noise. Definite advantage to the home team. They the Grizzley Den stand the entire game and yell.

Comment

I, too, noticed the differences in cheer squads. I consider the SDSU and NDSU squads about equal. I think (not positive) none of the cheer squads in the Summit League travel. So, the League Tourney is the first exposure our squad and NDSU's squad had to the way it is in the rest of the League.

My optimistic guess: the SDSU squad took home some lessons and will be considerably different next year.

I'd rank the top groups as Oakland, IUPUI and Oral Roberts...not sure what order (I was watching the games but they'd perform at break and made noise throughout the games). None of those schools had very many fans in the stands but their cheer squads were capable of being loud and in Oakland's case, they were constantly loud. They were up on their feet each time their school's band played a song.

Importantly, ORU, Oakland and IUPUI were actually leading in cheers and the small crowds they had, were following them.

Oral Roberts and Oakland have been to the dance so they know the level of performance in D-I. We're newbies...give 'em a chance!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              I don't know how the student section is at State anymore since I graduated in 1977. Are they spread out, behind the benches, or in the end zones?

At Oakland Univ the student section is behind the visitors bench and is called the Grizzley Den. The band is in the end zone also behind and beside the visitors bench. The cheer team and dance team is also in that end of the court. They get loud and keep it up the entire game. During timeouts the visitors usually have to go out on the court to huddle to get away from the noise. Definite advantage to the home team. They the Grizzley Den stand the entire game and yell.
                              student section is the bleachers behind the benches.

And I think the Summit ought to move the pep-band & student section away from the visitor's bench at the O'rena. That's a pretty uncouth way of compensating for not being able to draw paying fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X