Rapid City Hosting Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid City Hosting Tourney

I just blew my own mind on the other thread, and thought this topic deserved its own thread. Rapid City wouldn't be a bad host.

Deadwood, the Hills, Mt Rushmore, etc.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: Rapid City Hosting Tourney

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
    I just blew my own mind on the other thread, and thought this topic deserved its own thread. Rapid City wouldn't be a bad host.

Deadwood, the Hills, Mt Rushmore, etc.
    Usually better weather . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Usually better weather . . .

Plus for us eastern SD's it would be more of a vacation, then driving back home after the games. I like the idea, but it might be tough to draw as good of a crowd. It might be a good sell to other league officials, it wouldn't be considered such a home court advantage to the Jacks.

Comment

Won't be quite the fan base, but quite a destination for the other schools. Great for the SD economy.

It has merit...

Comment

You could call it the "Summit at Rushmore".

Comment

It would limit my attendence, but what a way for SDSU to boost interest west of the river and into Eastern Wyoming.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

RC:

Farther for SDSU & NDSU, but not closer for any other school except SUU.

I like the idea, but it might tilt the scales even more in favor of the Dakota schools.

Comment

Why move it? I'm pretty sure the attendance was better this year by far than any other year.

Comment

Well I'm concerned that other teams will complain about home court advantage for SDSU. It seems like if they do, RC migh be a respectable option. We will see how things play out during the next bidding process. Better than Detroit or Indianapolis.

Comment

FWIW, -5 degrees currently in Rapid City, but low 50's by the weekend.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      Well I'm concerned that other teams will complain about home court advantage for SDSU. It seems like if they do, RC migh be a respectable option. We will see how things play out during the next bidding process. Better than Detroit or Indianapolis.
                      Peoria putting in a bid is really interesting (mentioned, as I recall, over on Bisonville), as it's home to a Valley school (Bradley).

Peoria's centrally located, but would, I think, have a hard time drawing well. Although (presumably) it would garner respectable coverage and decent sponsorship money....

Comment

Rapid City is a great place to visit but a horrible place for the tournament, it isn't easy to get to and it is a long ways away from Fargo. It would crush the attendance from NDSU supporters.

I'd rather see the tournament in Minneapolis, which could be an option if UND and USD join.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          Peoria putting in a bid is really interesting (mentioned, as I recall, over on Bisonville), as it's home to a Valley school (Bradley).

Peoria's centrally located, but would, I think, have a hard time drawing well. Although (presumably) it would garner respectable coverage and decent sponsorship money....
                          I haven't heard Peoria, I have heard Moline (Quad Cities) as interested in bidding for the SL tournament.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I haven't heard Peoria, I have heard Moline (Quad Cities) as interested in bidding for the SL tournament.
                            It's in one of Kolpack & Hallstrom's blogs:

http://areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=45051

Under the 3:05 section.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                              I'd rather see the tournament in Minneapolis, which could be an option if UND and USD join.
                              I doubt that any Minneapolis facility would ever be interested in the Summit...

Comment

Working...
                              X