Will UND be in the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will UND be in the Summit?

I think it's pretty much a given that USD will, at some point, be a Summit League member (you're wlecome guys). I haven't heard much about UND however. Do they want to be in? Does the Summit want them? Would the Summit consider dividing the confernce north and south if UND and USD joined (North: SDSU, USD, NDSU, UND, UMKC, SUU)? Would love to play the "north" schools twice a year and the others just once, meaning you would only have to make the Centenary/ORU trip once every two years.

Re: Will UND be in the Summit?

Everything you said sounds like a tremendous idea to me. I don't think there is any doubt the greatest possible benefit to SDSU would be to have UND and USD in our league. It would be good for attendance, revenue, excitement, interest, everything.

Comment

I do believe that USD will be in the Summit. The Coyotes will actually be a welcome addition. I also believe that UND will be in the Summit. However, the Fighting Sioux will not!
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

By 2012, the nickname issue will be resolved, and the situation of having the 4 Dakota schools as the backbone of the Summit will be in place.

The attendence, rivalries, tradition, and power of all 4 of the Dakotas in one conference are too powerful for the Summit to ignore.

Flipping this around, what other conference will take in UND?

UND has too strong a reputation as an athletic power to remain independent for long. But all their tradition (outside of hockey) is tied to their rivals out of the defunct NCC.

Comment

So that's what it is, the nickname and logo? I used to live up there and worked in Forks (still remember the day Ralph donated all the money for the new Ralph) and I understand how touchey the nickname situation is.

This is also my understanding, from what was told to me by someone real close to the situation (forgive MY ignorance of the issue if I get anything wrong, I haven't lived up there for close to 10 years); When UND was deciding on a nickname they asked one of the tribes and the head of that tribe and they/he were fine with the Fighting Sioux nickname. It was meant to honor the Sioux. UND also does quite a bit for Native Americans in North Dakota, has a decent amount of Native Americans enrolled and alumni, etc.

With that said, as already stated, UND and USD coming to the Summit would be huge for about anything you could think of and clearly and easily be the backbone of the Summit. And the clowns who cried about D2 and the NCC and all that jazz would be wrong...again.

Comment

UND will get in when they assure the Summit that the name issue is resolved. I would expect both of them to be in by the time their commitment to the Great West Conference is complete. Too hard to ignore all the history between the schools for them not all to be included in the Summit. It gives the league a stable situation and more natural rivalries. It set it up for more long ter success, especially when all four institutions are core members.

I know some will say that it brings an NCC-like feel to the league. But I don't believe that neccessarily to be a bad thing. You need some sort of feeling of normalcy along with the felling of doing something new. Bringing in USD and UND fullfill more familiarity and normalcy while we are doing something new being the newest members, along with NDSU, into the Summit League.

Comment

I like a 12 team league, split up. So after UND and USD ride our coattails in can we bounce SUU and find a replacement?

Comment

I hate to say it but the perfect replacement for SUU is Minnesota State. They would add another bus trip for the four dakota schools and provide a "legit" name for the league rather than a commuter school like IUPUI etc...They certainly aren't ready now but in 10 years they might just be the perfect fit.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                  This is also my understanding, from what was told to me by someone real close to the situation (forgive MY ignorance of the issue if I get anything wrong, I haven't lived up there for close to 10 years); When UND was deciding on a nickname they asked one of the tribes and the head of that tribe and they/he were fine with the Fighting Sioux nickname. It was meant to honor the Sioux. UND also does quite a bit for Native Americans in North Dakota, has a decent amount of Native Americans enrolled and alumni, etc.
                  Obviously one tribal leader cannot speak for all Native Americans. The NCAA considers the logo and nickname hostile and abusive to native Americans and has given UND a choice and they must make it by next year: Keep the nickname and don't compete in NCAA championship events, or lose it and remain an NCAA member in full standing. I'm guessing they'll go for the latter.

Recent update:

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/artic...ate/174157.txt
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks for the update. The way I remember it, one person (Ralph Engelsted) stood in the way of UND changing their nickname years ago. Not really sure why, but Ralph was hellbent on the nickname and logo. I forget how many hundred UND logos are in the new Ralph Arena, seemingly just to prove a point.

I hope they get it straightened out. I am partial to UND having lived near it for 5 years, but I think it's a fine school and would be an excellent member.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Keep the nickname and don't compete in NCAA championship events, or lose it and remain an NCAA member in full standing.
                      There is a third alternative: receive the permission of the Sioux tribes.

Comment

I thought the legal settlement that UND and the NCAA entered into gave UND until 2010 to get permission or the name would be changed. In other words, they gave up the option to keep it without consent. But I maybe mistaken, however, I don't think they are going to keep it no matter what because if they do they will always have the problem of what to do if one of them withdraws their consent. That would be a messy fight publicity wise no matter what the circumstances. It comes down to money & power, and the NCAA has more than the Engelstads.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Somehow or another, the state of ND took the matter out of UND's hands. It's no longer a matter for UND to decide in house.

Comment

I would hope that UND and those on the Higher education board in ND has paid attention to the Summit League and will get a clue about settling this issue. Change your logo, and you are in good graces with both NCAA and The Summit League. As long as its a issue with the NCAA Douple is off the hook as far as doing any thing to advance the interests of UND towards membership.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Somehow or another, the state of ND took the matter out of UND's hands. It's no longer a matter for UND to decide in house.
                              They are trying to form a committee. I believe UTH or some one linked a Bismarck newspaper article that said that they were having problems finding the right people to sit on the committee. Standing Rock that is in both ND and SD seems to be the tribe that is not about to compromise so the talking is done as far as they are concerned. Turtle Lake being closer to GF seems to be more accepting so there is a range of positions that have to come together.

Comment

Working...
                              X