http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...76/group/home/

Really?
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Re: You've Got To Be Kidding Me...

That's gotta be a joke right?

Comment

Getting too upset over this is for people who have no imagination. OK, so policy disapproves of booing and chanting 'bad things'. When dealt lemons, go ahead and squeeze them... A first good step would be to politely clap everytime the other side 'tosses up a brick'* or shoots an airball. If you can't boo, you might as well show your appreciation for someone's efforts, even if those efforts end up being all for naught. Maybe, you can call it a "respect for that player's bravery and willingness to risk a sure failure in front of so many people." That's a good starting point. I'm sure other ways to properly express yourself will present themselves mighty handily. once the ball is rolling, of course... Actually, that could end up being pretty fun.

*no idea what that means, but pretty sure it's in the right context

Comment

Our high school athletic director has monitored our student fans quite closely for several years. Of course they try and push to the edge of what he allows which appears to be beyond the WIAA rules. Our real problem is adults who are unable to act like adults. We have had several adult fans of both sexes who have proved themselves extremely embarassing to our school and our community this season. I wish we could bring in the athletic director mentioned in the article to put on a seminar for them!
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I don't remember the exact year, but I know that while I was in high school we had an assembly one year explaining how not following a similar rule could punish our teams. I do not think that it was a new rule, just a reminder that this rule existed. I graduated in 1980 from Arlington SD. I don't think this is anything new, and I am guessing that most every state athletic association has a similar rule.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Ok, I'm opening this can of worms again for a question:

So how do they discipline in WI for schools who scream out at the end of the national anthem "Home of the _______!!!!!"? Deport them to Canada?

Comment

They try to tamp down on the crowds at the big metro high schools in the DC and Virginia area, too, but have a hard time. "You suck" sometimes creeps into chants, or "bullsh--" is chanted after ref's calls. Wonder if there is as big a difference between colleges in the Midwest and those on the East Coast.
              For instance, ACC is notoriously a mean place for opposing teams. At Maryland, profanity is routine. At Duke, the rowdiness is choreographed. Students hand out carefully prepared pre-game flyers listing recent events or problems or personal traits and foibles of opposing players, anything that would get under their skin when shouted from the student section. Also, the papers suggest chants. One of Dukies' g-rated ones is leveled at Maryland coach Gary Williams, who tends to perspire during games: "Sweat, Gary, sweat!" Not a pretty sound.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                They try to tamp down on the crowds at the big metro high schools in the DC and Virginia area, too, but have a hard time. "You suck" sometimes creeps into chants, or "bullsh--" is chanted after ref's calls. Wonder if there is as big a difference between colleges in the Midwest and those on the East Coast.
                For instance, ACC is notoriously a mean place for opposing teams. At Maryland, profanity is routine. At Duke, the rowdiness is choreographed. Students hand out carefully prepared pre-game flyers listing recent events or problems or personal traits and foibles of opposing players, anything that would get under their skin when shouted from the student section. Also, the papers suggest chants. One of Dukies' g-rated ones is leveled at Maryland coach Gary Williams, who tends to perspire during games: "Sweat, Gary, sweat!" Not a pretty sound.
                For colleges, I would say it comes with the territory. Duke/UNC is one thing. Duke has developed a great student section in the past 25 years with Coach K and their success. I have heard that about Maryland and some the inappropriate stuff they have done. Once again, I am not being a homer (but pretty sure I am, KU-MU is the nastiest rivalry in college sports) the banner unfurled at the KU-MU game last weekend is one of the best I have seen. If you don't know the history of John Brown and the Free Staters (and all the bad things they did, but stilll seriously embraced by the culture in KS, considering what Missouri did in those days as well) here is a great picture that takes the cake. If you want, Google the history and you will see why KU embraces John Brown and hates Missouri with a passion. (1850; Kansas - free state, Missouri - slave state, you can about imagine the hatred.)

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/m...omething-huge/

Pretty amazing job by the student section. No one likes to come to Allen Fieldhouse and play. 41 straight.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Back in my high school days the admin would have done cartwheels if the student section had only used those bannned cheers from the article.

Comment

What is wrong with airball, booing, and some of the less offensive things that were mentioned. Carrying the rules to far is just as bad as disobeying the rules to far. Some of the things I used to say at Mankato State Hockey games probably would have got me thrown in jail in a high school in Wisc. At least in one game I had both teams and the refs laughing.

Comment

The Oakland band is belting out who cares every time someone from UMKC is introduced.

Comment

Working...
                      X