USD makes list of worst dorms by Princeton Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD makes list of worst dorms by Princeton Review

I was going to post this under news because it is actually a news story but I figured it would quickly turn to smack. USD was just ranked by the Princeton review for having some of the worst dorm rooms in the country. USD made the "Dungeons and Dorms" list at #13. I actually found it on the USD student news website. Read it here:
    http://www.volanteonline.com/news/us...orst-1.1594893

I wonder if the Argus will pick that story up?

Re: USD makes list of worst dorms by Princeton Review

But, but, but, but , but they are the Harvard of the Plains! The Princeton of the Plains!

NOT!

They are the proud owners of the Dakota Dump which is the world's largest septic tank and apparently a number of pretty nasty outhouses as well.

Good thing you posted this in the smack thread because I just can't pass the chance.

Life as a Jackrabbit just gets better and better!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
      I was going to post this under news because it is actually a news story but I figured it would quickly turn to smack. USD was just ranked by the Princeton review for having some of the worst dorm rooms in the country. USD made the "Dungeons and Dorms" list at #13. I actually found it on the USD student news website. Read it here:
      http://www.volanteonline.com/news/us...orst-1.1594893

I wonder if the Argus will pick that story up?
      This is simply laughable. That school has nothing going for it. Nor does the town of Vermillion. If that place didn't have a strong Greek community or strong graduate programs they might have 3,000 total students.

Comment

I'm going to defend the U on this one -- at least a little bit. First, those "surveys" are usually suspect...just wait until SDSU lands on one. Second, as far as the age and condition of college dorms are concerned, isn't that a responsibility of the entire state, not just one institution? We've had our share of problems with dorm life at SDSU (remember the mold problem from a few years ago? How about some mice living the high life in Binnewies a few years ago?)

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          This is simply laughable. That school has nothing going for it. Nor does the town of Vermillion.
          Hmm. Having been in Verm recently I'd disagree. The new Student Union kicks lots of butt, and the new B school looks good. Same with the new Med school.

I'm sure even JackMD would agree with me on those.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            Hmm. Having been in Verm recently I'd disagree. The new Student Union kicks lots of butt, and the new B school looks good. Same with the new Med school.

I'm sure even JackMD would agree with me on those.
            They probably are very nice. I don't doubt that. That however will not replace my vision of driving into Vermillion and seeing that nasty dome sticking up on the prairie. That thing is just ugly. Bleh. I kid, I kid, but seriously, Vermillion, not so much going for it. Is Pamida still open there?

The dorm situation - I can attest that SDSU's dorms - at least when I was there - needed some upgrades. They did good work replacing the floors in many of them and replacing tons of windows in other dorms as well. The size of a dorm at SDSU leaves much to be desired, that is unless you live in the suite style dorms North of Young. I won't rip on the dorms at SDSU though as those were two of the most fun years I have ever had. No wait, they are the two most funs years hands down, no comparison.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The campus at the U is improving. The new student union is very nice, the new Lee Medicine building is great and leaps and bounds ahead of the building I trained in. The business school looks like it is going to be a nice building as well. The architecture fits well with the union. I, for one, am happy to see these improvements and encourage continued support of the academic programs offered at the U.

As for Vermillion and the coyotes, I say move the nicer buildings and campus to Sioux Falls and call the sports teams the Junior Jackrabbits. Keep the older buildings as senior housing for former U grads who can no longer care for themselves. Change the name of the town to Pityville. I know several posters here who would have a room reserved.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                They probably are very nice. I don't doubt that. That however will not replace my vision of driving into Vermillion and seeing that nasty dome sticking up on the prairie. That thing is just ugly. Bleh. I kid, I kid, but seriously, Vermillion, not so much going for it. Is Pamida still open there?

The dorm situation - I can attest that SDSU's dorms - at least when I was there - needed some upgrades. They did good work replacing the floors in many of them and replacing tons of windows in other dorms as well. The size of a dorm at SDSU leaves much to be desired, that is unless you live in the suite style dorms North of Young. I won't rip on the dorms at SDSU though as those were two of the most fun years I have ever had. No wait, they are the two most funs years hands down, no comparison.
                The dorms with the new bathrooms are nice, but the ones that still have the "dungeon" style bathrooms (Wanneta, I'm looking at you) suck.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I had so much fun, I stayed in the dorms all four years! Weird, I know ... but I wouldn't leave till they forced me to!
                  "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    I'm going to defend the U on this one -- at least a little bit. First, those "surveys" are usually suspect...just wait until SDSU lands on one.
                    Good point. But with dorms like this one coming online soon, I don't think we have to worry about making the bad dorms list:

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      This is simply laughable. That school has nothing going for it. Nor does the town of Vermillion. If that place didn't have a strong Greek community or strong graduate programs they might have 3,000 total students.
                      Say what?

I don't mind smacking, but BTownJack, you take the cake.

USD has the Business school, Law school, Med school and the school of Ed. Out of respect for agriculture, I won't smack you because agriculture is my bread and butter. But for you to comment about USD and Vermillion, that's the joke.

You are indeed a great jackRabbit fan, but you have blinders on. A great big set of 'em. The truth of the matter in the entire debate about USD/SDSU is because you are an ag school, you have WNAX, a great ag radio station that is as much regional as state wide. There is nothing like the strongest media outlet in the state to be on your side. I applaud WNAX for sticking with the Ag college, and that is what gives you a large edge.

USD is one heck of a school, and the town of Vermillion, although somewhat smallish, has alot of great people.

Lastly, KULawJack making fun of the outside appearance of the Dome amazes me given what your outdoor facilities look like. The truth is your football field looks like one for Brookings High.

I will always stand up for USD, and when someone makes an idiotic statement about USD, I will challenge them. No poster on here or our webboard has made the same kind of statements about SDSU, and their facilities, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I'm going to defend the U on this one -- at least a little bit. First, those "surveys" are usually suspect...just wait until SDSU lands on one. Second, as far as the age and condition of college dorms are concerned, isn't that a responsibility of the entire state, not just one institution? We've had our share of problems with dorm life at SDSU (remember the mold problem from a few years ago? How about some mice living the high life in Binnewies a few years ago?)

Good, fair post. This is a state challenge; a Brown Hall alum won't ever riff on another dorm.
                        Princeton Review also might want to look in the back yard: http://www.epinions.com/review/educ-...389629C7-prod5
                        Princeton Review has no affiliation with Princeton but was founded by an alum. Given that Princeton has a bazillion-dollar endowment and more rich alum than you can count, dorm rooms five flights of stairs from communal bathrooms doesn't sound like luxury, Ivy or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Good point. But with dorms like this one coming online soon, I don't think we have to worry about making the bad dorms list:

Wow, I hadn't seen those yet, they look fantastic. Three dorms, correct? One west of Mathews, Brown and Grove Hall correct?

Comment

And yes the Pamida just closed as far as I know. And after checking the web site yes they are closed.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              Lastly, KULawJack making fun of the outside appearance of the Dome amazes me given what your outdoor facilities look like. The truth is your football field looks like one for Brookings High.
                              Its uglier than sin, seriously. It looks like a giant grain bin. I believe SturgisJeff posted a comparative picture in an earlier thread. Football was meant to be played outside so your argument is lost immediately because you try to compare an indoor sports arena to an open air stadium. Fail. Also basketball was not meant to be played in a dome. That might be just as bad. Just reminding you. And.....capacity. Good thing udot doesn't play in a football stadium the size of CAS because it would look even emptier against Culver Stockton. It would be hard to say there were 14,342 fans at a game with 2,418.

Also, the Dykhouse Center. If you think for one second that it won't spruce up CAS you are off your rocker. We have tons of space to reconstruct and add on to CAS. Got a lot of room for that in the Dakota Dump? I believe we have a brand new softball and baseball complex that looks nice, just waiting on some more money to finish up some things. How's udot's baseball field looking? Or do they play in the dome for baseball too?

(Apologize for thread drift. I am out of here.)
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X