Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Wasn't this tourney played in Tulsa for a number of years? Is Sullivan and Coleman and the SF Sports Authority trying to keep this in SF for years to come, especially given the early success? If and when USD comes into the league there will be 4 teams within 5 hours of SF, making it about as central a location as you could get in a league like the Summit. Outside of SF I think the only other city that could do an equal to better job would be Fargo.

Re: Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    Wasn't this tourney played in Tulsa for a number of years? Is Sullivan and Coleman and the SF Sports Authority trying to keep this in SF for years to come, especially given the early success? If and when USD comes into the league there will be 4 teams within 5 hours of SF, making it about as central a location as you could get in a league like the Summit. Outside of SF I think the only other city that could do an equal to better job would be Fargo.
    A while ago, there were some comments bubbling around to the effect that the league was happy enough with Sioux Falls to consider awarding a third year.

I've also heard that the Quad Cities might put in a bid at some point--Western Illinois is fairly close and would be the host school.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think right now they are very happy with Sioux Falls. I hope that in a week they are even happier. I imagine alot of the people coming from out of town will be pleasantly surprised with our fair city and the atmosphere around the tourney.

Comment

The league is going to wait until they have had a chance to review everything from this years tournament before they will commit to a third year, I believe I remember Douple saying. I have heard of the Quad Cities push for the event, and I am sure there will be some other bids also. The success in Sioux Falls is evident from ticket sales, however, I expect that the SL will take a new round of bids after the two year deal.

Sioux Falls has shown that a different type of tournament presentation can be very successful. Other potential venues have already begun to study what the SFSA put together and how they can compete with it. With the economy in the state it is now, I think it is pretty likely that all the venues may be willing to provide more bling-bling in a couple years than they are now. Given that, and with the issue of expansion undecided, I think the SL will hold off on making any more commitments

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

This is purely conjecture on my part, but I wonder if some within the Summit are wary of leaving the tournament in the same city for too long. The first couple years in Tulsa were really great too, but attendance and community support began to flag after that. I wonder how long a community can maintain a high level of excitement before the event becomes routine? I wouldn't be surprised if the tourney would rotate(two years each) between Sioux Falls, Tulsa, Fargo, and/or Quad Cities. (Not saying it would be a formal rotation.)

Comment

here is what Douple told me

The tournament is currently out for bid for 2011and 2012. I anticipate that Sioux Falls will bid on the tournament again and of course how this year’s tournament turns out will be a discussion point when we review the bids

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              here is what Douple told me

The tournament is currently out for bid for 2011and 2012. I anticipate that Sioux Falls will bid on the tournament again and of course how this year’s tournament turns out will be a discussion point when we review the bids
              Since I will be Volunteering for the tournament this weekend, the volunteers had training sesssions. During those training sessions Mike Sullivan (Sioux Falls Sports Authority Director) told us to be at our best because he wanted the Summit League and the fans to feel like this is where the tournament should be held year after year.

Comment

I thought I heard TV talking to, ugh, KWSN a couple of weeks ago regarding the Quad Cities and their downfall is Western Illinois' poor fan support at their home games.

Regarding Fargo, would it be held at the Fargodome? Because isn't it a rule the tournament can't be held in a home team's gym?

Regarding the tournament becoming ho hum for the host school's fans, I have a hard time seeing that happen in SF as there is no end in sight for the Jacks women being a top two team in the conference and with the hopeful upswing in the men's team it could even make the tournament a bigger draw and a tougher ticket. Winning never gets old. With NDSU's solid programs and excellent fan support, they are not going to hestitate to make the trip from Fargo to watch the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  Regarding Fargo, would it be held at the Fargodome? Because isn't it a rule the tournament can't be held in a home team's gym?
                  Technically, NDSU currently plays their home games at the Bison Sports Arena, which is across the street from the FargoDome. The Fabulus Fargo Dome is a much better football than a basketball facility. Years ago when Biliter was coach, they did host the NCC tourney at the FargoDome, so it could be a site for the Summit League tourney as well. I would not count NDSU out as a bidder, especially if it works real good in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Personally, I don't think the Fargodome (or any football facility) would be a superior tournament basketball venue. They're just too darned big, especially if you're talking about putting the championship games on an ESPN network and want to show a good crowd to the national audience.

I'd expect the Summit League tournament to skew towards facilities seating less than 8,000 because it's just a much better environment if you put 3,000 in that size facility vs. one that seats 10,000 or more.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This is purely conjecture on my part, but I wonder if some within the Summit are wary of leaving the tournament in the same city for too long. The first couple years in Tulsa were really great too, but attendance and community support began to flag after that. I wonder how long a community can maintain a high level of excitement before the event becomes routine? I wouldn't be surprised if the tourney would rotate(two years each) between Sioux Falls, Tulsa, Fargo, and/or Quad Cities. (Not saying it would be a formal rotation.)
                      A great point and probably one of the biggest reasons why it won't be in SF year after year. I would argue that if there is one place in the US of A where this tournament wouldn't get old, it is Sioux Falls. Look at the Skyforce and how they stood the test of time. And imagine if SDSU started marketing the school and the athletic programs here in the SF area, how much better the tournament would be. I think it was a no-brainer that they would schedule a game this year and next year over the holidays at the Arena to get the team accustomed to the Arena, not to mention fire up the SF fanbase.

Comment

[quote]Regarding Fargo, would it be held at the Fargodome? Because isn't it a rule the tournament can't be held in a home team's gym?
                        [quote]

The only problem with the Fargodome is it's so big and even a bigger crowd than SF would seem alot less b/c there would be so many empty seats. This is my fear when SF gets a new 15,000+ seat arena. The atmosphere that is enjoyed at the Storm, Stampede and Skyforce (the first two especially) is gone and you look around and it seems empty.

That said, I used to live in the Fargo area, and, if anyone in the Summit can do a better job than SF it's Fargo.

Comment

Where did they play the games at in Tulsa? I know I watched the title game on TV, but I can't remember. Did Terry V say something about it being held at a High School? If so it was probably Tulsa Union?

Does Tulsa still have that old and big, round arena located on the fairgrounds, not far from the AAA baseball stadium and the huuuuuge convention center?

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                            Where did they play the games at in Tulsa? I know I watched the title game on TV, but I can't remember. Did Terry V say something about it being held at a High School? If so it was probably Tulsa Union?

Does Tulsa still have that old and big, round arena located on the fairgrounds, not far from the AAA baseball stadium and the huuuuuge convention center?
                            Yes, it was at Union.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

TV mentioned yesterday in the Stu program, that the tourney was in a high school facility and because of that they could not sell beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X