Moving to Rapid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Rapid

So after almost 5 years of living in brookings and going to sdsu I got a job out in rapid city!
    just gotta find a place to live now!
    I hope to meet many Jackrabbit fans in the black hills area! for those live in rapid, what are the good sports bars in Rapid and are there any SDSU fan groups out there? can i get 570 wnax that far west?
    thanks!

Re: Moving to Rapid

When I've been hunting up north of Bison, my dad and I were able to get it. Heck I can even pick it up where I live now, an hour south of Omaha. Though its a bit staticy.

Comment

I think I picked up 570 when I was out camping this summer in Bison. Not 100% positive it was 570 as I found a station with a Twins game on and that's all that mattered. It was staticy at times but in Rapid you should be OK

Comment

Been awhile since I partied in Rapid and if they are still there. The Boothill Saloon, Firehouse, Alex Johnson used to be good. Good Biker bar out by the cement plant. Shotgun Willies for the ballet.

Comment

I'd suggest if you're really serious about it, take a good radio to wherever you plan to live and see how well WNAX comes in. You'll need to do that both in the afternoon, and after the sun goes down because WNAX changes their signal pattern at local sunset.

Local interference can make an otherwise strong AM radio signal (one that booms in loud and clear in your car, for instance) to be completely unusable inside. Also, if you're looking at a newer apartment building (with a steel structural frame) that'll absolutely kill AM radio reception unless you hang an antenna outside (in which case beware of lightning).

For instance, I can get WNAX reasonably well in my car in Kansas City, as long as I'm not too close to power lines or other interference sources while the sun's up. When it goes down, however, the pattern shifts north, and reception isn't at all possible. I can get afternoon WNAX in the house with my best radio (a CCRadio from C. Crane Company) but the signal, while useable, is pretty poor quality. With almost any other radio, however, WNAX won't come in at all.

Oh, yeah, don't forget to turn your radio . . . most AM radio antennas are very directional.

If none of that works, there's alway$ Jackrabbit Extra, for what it's worth. Audio is usually reliable. Video . . . not as much.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
            So after almost 5 years of living in brookings and going to sdsu I got a job out in rapid city!
            I hope to meet many Jackrabbit fans in the black hills area! for those live in rapid, what are the good sports bars in Rapid and are there any SDSU fan groups out there? can i get 570 wnax that far west?
            thanks!
            Congrats on the job and enjoy the Hills. Take advantage of what you have out there.

I know my uncle listens to WNAX when fishing on Orman Dam. I think that is north of Spearfish, but I imagine there are any buildings out there to provide interference.

Comment

Congrats on the job rulz. Must have been that strong statistics background you got.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                Congrats on the job rulz. Must have been that strong statistics background you got.
                Thanks EQ! I was not a fan of math at all, but stats was all right and you made the class fun

Comment

WNAX reception is spotty, weak and in some places, non-existent in Rapid City. So that means you have to be diligent and ask around for the best hilltop for listening purposes on your car radio (if you have a good one).

filbert had a great suggestion about a radio...I don't have one of those but have heard of them. I have a Radio Shack DX-375 (AM, FM, SW) from the early or mid-90s that is a great radio with excellent AM reception. Years ago I read it was made by the same manufacturer who made a similar model for Grundig.

Rapid City is a great place to live and there's a strong nucleus of Jackrabbits alums who are getting organized and active. Get involved -- maybe you can be the guy who makes sure there's a sports bar with the Jackrabbit football game or basketball game on the big screen!

Comment

I work in Rapid City and live in the Sturgis area. I frequently get off work about the time that Steve Imming is coming on with the pre-game show. I can rarely get WNAX in Rapid City but frequently get them in the Black Hawk or Piedmont area. It usually comes in better in the car than in my house. I have been seen sitting in my car in my driveway listening to the Jackrabbits. The smart thing to do would be to include internet subscriptions to Jackrabbit sports in your budget. It's more important than bowling and at least as important as beer . . . and a lot of people spend more on both than the Jackrabbit Extra or Summit League subscription will cost you.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                      I work in Rapid City and live in the Sturgis area. I frequently get off work about the time that Steve Imming is coming on with the pre-game show. I can rarely get WNAX in Rapid City but frequently get them in the Black Hawk or Piedmont area. It usually comes in better in the car than in my house. I have been seen sitting in my car in my driveway listening to the Jackrabbits. The smart thing to do would be to include internet subscriptions to Jackrabbit sports in your budget. It's more important than bowling and at least as important as beer . . . and a lot of people spend more on both than the Jackrabbit Extra or Summit League subscription will cost you.
                      Yeah it's like 10 bucks a month. Not too tough to cut back on a couple things to save 10 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
                        thanks!

Yes the West River Jacks. They are working to become the 2nd offical Chapter of the SDSU Alumni Association. They do a golf event, several watch parties, mixers, etc. Make sure you let the Alumni Association know your new address and you will get the invites for the events.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                        X