USD at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD at it again

Anyone else notice that USD has been billing their track meet this weekend as the 1st ever D-I Championship in South Dakota. Did they forget that Sioux Falls & SDSU hosted the D-I Independent Baseball Championships a few years ago. That was the 1st ever D-I Championship in South Dakota.

Silly Coyotes, just like everything else in D-I you are following the Jacks.

Re: USD at it again

Found some info on the tournament, it happened in the 2006 season

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...port_05-06.pdf

SDSU hosted the season-ending Division I
    Independent Tournament in Sioux Falls, tying
    for third place with a 2-2 record with victories
    over IPFW and New York Tech. Junior
    pitcher Matt Bowman and junior shortstop
    Jake Rogers earned all-tournament honors.

Comment

Great West Indoor Track Championships

EDITED: I had started a separate thread but then merged it with the USD AT IT AGAIN thread because of the similarity in the points made. When I typed my rant, I didn't realize -- I had forgotten -- SDSU hosted the 06 Independents Baseball Tourney. So, I've edited my rant a little but I join with the other posters on this subject:

I'm a little ticked off: I had KELO TV on and the sports reporter made a point that the first D-1 post-season championship was held this weekend at USD, six days ahead of the Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls.

I think what bothered me is the petty crap -- the attempt to claim bragging rights, I guess -- that I haven't had to think about in the past few years since there has been some separation from USD. When the Summit League announced it was coming to Sioux Falls, while certainly trumpeted in the press, SDSU did not make a point of adding that it was the first D-1 post-season championship in South Dakota (the Summit League tourney was announced a year ago, long before the Great West Conference track meet was conceived).

SDSU's move to D-1 was initially used to bash SDSU. (I believe that USD did not have an official policy on the move -- contrary to what other SDSU fans may contend -- the SDSU bashing was by individuals, not by an institution or administration.) But, the "we got there first" with the track meet irritates me just a wee bit. I don't like that kind of petty crap, petty 'one-ups-manship', particularly when it's flat wrong.

I know that sports rivalries involves a certain amount of "aha! we did this before you" or "we did this better than you" etc. But, that's conduct that should be limited to individual fans, not official conduct of an institution. In this case, we don't have a current rivalry with USD but USD's already spinning stories as though we do. To me, that's a forewarning about what lies ahead.

In recent months, I had softened my thinking about a resumption of meetings with USD in the major sports. Tonight, I continue to recognize that the two schools will likely meet again in the major sports. But, I hope that SDSU and USD do not play in the same conference. I think it will be a healthier relationship if USD takes a different D-1 path. Being in separate conferences may encourage more exagerated claims but I can deal with that better if the two schools are in different conferences.
      Last edited by JackJD; 03-01-2009, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Re: Great West Indoor Track Championships

I guess I have always thought that the Sioux Falls media has always mostly been pro-USD. With the exception of Terry V., I have noticed that USD seemed to always get more press than SDSU. Especially during the transition. Though they are roughly the same distance away, im my mind, USD has gotten the better press over the years. It does not suprise me that the Sioux Falls media or USD has dubbed this as the first DI championships in South Dakota. Hey if they want to call the bastardized Great West Conference track meet at D1 Championship go right ahead.

(Don't read it as I'm bashing the Great West Football Conference. That is at least a decent conference. These in my mind are two separate things with the same name. NJIT in the west? HAHA. Totally different situation with the MVFC and MVC.)

Comment

Did anyone see their AD on KELO last night. Here he was claiming that it didn't matter which event happened first the track meet or the Summit Tourney and that they weren't making a big deal of it and that it's a big deal for both schools. Yet in every newscast, article or quote we hear the bogus mention of the first D1 Championship held in SD. Typical bologna from U dot I wonder what the crowd numbers will look like from both events

Comment

The thing that will be amazing given USD's past tradition of inflating attendance numbers is the fact that no matter how many attend the Summit League Championships they will announce a larger attendance for the Great West Indoor Track Championship.

Let them have their moment in the sun. They still have four glorious years of transition to struggle through and we all remember how that wasn't any fun.

It is odd how they seem to be comparing the two. Make no mistake, the Summit Championship is a major event. The Great West Track Championship isn't.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

According to what TV and the Argus have planned for this week leading up to the first game of the Summit League Tournament...the Great West Track Meet will be a distant memory by Friday, even in Yote fan's eye's.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Now that's some good up-coming coverage!!

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                Did anyone see their AD on KELO last night. Here he was claiming that it didn't matter which event happened first the track meet or the Summit Tourney and that they weren't making a big deal of it and that it's a big deal for both schools. Yet in every newscast, article or quote we hear the bogus mention of the first D1 Championship held in SD. Typical bologna from U dot I wonder what the crowd numbers will look like from both events
                USD issued a press release when the meet was announced, making the claim it was the first D-1 championship in South Dakota. The news media accepted that as true when it wasn't. For example, the RC Journal reported the USD claim (this was discussed in a thread a couple weeks ago: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=7815 )

I just checked USD's official site for athletics. Here's a link a press release making the incorrect claim: LINK
                From that release: "VERMILLION, S.D. – The University of South Dakota Coyote track and field teams will host the first ever Division I Championship in the state of South Dakota when the Great West Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships come to Vermillion, S.D. this Sunday and Monday, March 1 and 2...."

Comment

Kinda sounds like a young man bragging about just having gone out on his first date with Rosanne Barr,while knowing full well that his buddy is scheduled to go out with Jennifer Aniston later in the week !

Comment

You guys got this though...

Tuesday’s championship game, a 7 p.m. tipoff, will air on ESPN2 and will make history as the first nationally televised sporting event originating from the state of South Dakota.
                    http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...ATCLID=3682226

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Kinda sounds like a young man bragging about just having gone out on his first date with Rosanne Barr,while knowing full well that his buddy is scheduled to go out with Jennifer Aniston later in the week !
                      Amazing analogy. If someone can top this, I would love to see it. Hilarious.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
                        Sweet! For those of us in the KC metro area and not able to make the tourney, we get the semi-final games too. Thanks for posting this.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Distinct entities: USD’s sports marketing/PR department and the independent media. The former is in the business of spin and positive light. The latter is supposed to be in the business of objectively reporting facts. An independent baseball tournament or a conference track championship – which constitutes the first “Division I championships” this state has ever hosted? I personally do not care, and that sentiment applies to any other examples of possible D-I championships that may or may not have occurred. I’m pretty sure everyone recognizes that the Summit basketball tournament is the first truly significant Division I championship in this state’s history. USD’s track meet occurred first in time (as it relates to the upcoming bb tourney) and was arguably a truer “championship” than the aforementioned baseball tournament. Accordingly, USD’s sports marketing people did their jobs. When I view this situation, I don’t detect anything patently irresponsible, inflammatory or dishonest. Moreover, the media are not obligated to regurgitate press releases. That all said, and as a point of emphasis, the Summit League tournament is a great get for South Dakota. Congratulations to SDSU for being a part of history. But since this is the smack section, let it be known that the Yotes look forward to winning this tournament a few years down the road, so grab your glory while you still can South Dakota wears red!
                          University of South Dakota:
                          Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

In our eyes
                            In USD's eyes

In LakeBison eyes

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                              Distinct entities: USD’s sports marketing/PR department and the independent media. The former is in the business of spin and positive light. The latter is supposed to be in the business of objectively reporting facts. An independent baseball tournament or a conference track championship – which constitutes the first “Division I championships” this state has ever hosted? I personally do not care, and that sentiment applies to any other examples of possible D-I championships that may or may not have occurred. I’m pretty sure everyone recognizes that the Summit basketball tournament is the first truly significant Division I championship in this state’s history. USD’s track meet occurred first in time (as it relates to the upcoming bb tourney) and was arguably a truer “championship” than the aforementioned baseball tournament. Accordingly, USD’s sports marketing people did their jobs. When I view this situation, I don’t detect anything patently irresponsible, inflammatory or dishonest. Moreover, the media are not obligated to regurgitate press releases. That all said, and as a point of emphasis, the Summit League tournament is a great get for South Dakota. Congratulations to SDSU for being a part of history. But since this is the smack section, let it be known that the Yotes look forward to winning this tournament a few years down the road, so grab your glory while you still can South Dakota wears red!
                              Nice post yotemeal. Love the moniker!

You are right about the PR people at USD doing their job. Its also refreshing when the media does a decent job of getting the facts straight. I'm sure 'Yote fans are excited about hosting the track championship and I know Jacks fans are "jacked up" about the basketball tourney.

Good luck to both in their respective tournaments!

But, since this is a smack thread and you talk about significant events. Let the record stand clear, USD has followed the Jacks lead in most everything for a long time. It looks like this:

The Coyotes will never catch up to the Rabbits! You must be tired of that view!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X