Question about Oakland's Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Oakland's Women

How come Oakland's Women are not getting any love by polls or media? They have good team and record (21-5, 13-2), only losses outside of SUU are to major programs (Georgia, Purdue, Marquette, South Dakota State). At the time of the games Georgia was ranked #23, South Dakota State was #21 when Oakland beat us and #19 when State won.

I realize that the teams they lost to are not major players this year, but are big schools from tough conferences.
    Purdue 19-8 with one ranked team in their conference (#17)
    Georiga 15-11 with 4 ranked teams in their conference (#3 #15, #19, #20)
    Marquette 16-11 with 4 ranked teams in their conference (#1, #9, #22, #24)

They played us tough, and will be scary in the tourney

I think the summit has two very good womens teams. Jacks top one of course.
    South Dakota State 26-2
    Oakland 21-5

SD States two losses were to Oakland and #7 Maryland (22-4) which has 5 ranked teams in conference (#7, #8, #10, #12, #21).
    MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
    http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
    http://gojacks.com

Re: Question about Oakland's Women

That's a good point, DakotaKid. With some positive attention, the stock of the Summit League should increase in value.

Comment

Maybe because of where they are located, between Mich and Mich State. Plus they didnt play the schedule the Jacks play. And besides the aforementioned schools the majority of their OOC is mid-majors and lower. Tx San Antonio, Sienna, St. Bonaventure, St Louis, and most do not have winning records. Add in Western Ontario and Rochester College from down the street to OU who OU beat by sixty points before they played State and it just doesn't make for an awe inspiring record. Add in the Summit and you get their record. They have had some impressive wins against the Summit but most have been close, under 20 point wins. As the season has progressed the teams in the Summit that they did blow out have been closer the second time around. While the Jacks had a better OOC and have been increasing the margin of points in their wins against the Summit for the most part.

Comment

According to RealtimeRPI (not the best predictor) Oakland has 2 wins over top 100 teams:

Jacks (28) & St. Bonaventure (57). One bad loss, SUU (299). Oakland shows at RPI 76.

IF Oakland had beaten UGA 61, Purdue (27) and Marquette (48), they would probably be in the top 50.

Jacks 0-1 vs top 25 teams,
        2-0 vs 25-50
        4-1 vs 50-100

Even with what no one can reasonable deny is the BEST SDSU team to date, we're marginally on the edge of the top 25 because of the weakness of the rest of the Summit league EXCEPT Oakland.

Jacks OOC was super, and by winning, the Jacks are highly visible mid-major. When the rest of the Summit schedules and WINS like SDSU did this season, we will see the Summit leap into the upper half of leagues.

In the interim, Oakland only goes dancing if win the auto-bid. I'll be a disappointed if that happens, as then Jacks will be trying to get in as at-large then.

I'd much rather OU go to the WNIT and make a round or three.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaKid View Post
          How come Oakland's Women are not getting any love by polls or media?
          Simple answer: no out-of-conference marquee wins. They came close at Georgia, but close doesn't count.

The only quality win they have is SDSU at home.

You need to beat good teams on the road to really help yourself in the RPI and the ratings.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Next question on Oakland, If they beat us in the tourney would we still quilify for the big dance ? Currently look to be a 6 seed as per Bracketology. I see them as to only team to upset us.
            MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
            http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
            http://gojacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaKid View Post
              Next question on Oakland, If they beat us in the tourney would we still quilify for the big dance ? Currently look to be a 6 seed as per Bracketology. I see them as to only team to upset us.
              I think with our RPI still around 30 and our OOC schedule, the answer to that is a probable yes.

But who knows what the selection committee will decide? Best not to leave it to chance.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As TV said in his blog, "if Oakland beats us in the tourney, the Jacks would be 30-3 with all three losses to tournament qualifiers."

It would be unbelievable if we don't get an at large bid, even if we lose in the first round.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                X