New football stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New football stadium?

WHat are the plans for Coughlin-Alumni? During halftime of the Illinois State game (I believe) I thought Dr. Fred said something about possibly a new stadium 5-10 years down the road?

Re: New football stadium?

yeah good one

Comment

Replacing the current seating at CAS is in the plan, after the Dykhouse Center and the Fieldhouse. It depends on how fundraising goes (and also depends to some extent on the priorities of the AD-to-be-named).

Replacing/upgrading CAS is a known need.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

To put this into perspective, a wellness center was announced in the early 1990s. It opened 13 years later. That was a combination of private gifts, a little city money and a whole bunch of cash from students. I'm not sure when the student commitment is paid in full but I don't think you can go back to them again until it is. A new football stadium will require $30+ million dollars (today's money). Maybe an unknown will step forward but I'm not holding my breath. I don't think we will see a new facility for at least 20 years.

Comment

Building CAS in the 1950's was a very hard project to sell. Seems like the drive began just after Dr Briggs became President in 1957, and the plans were to have it ready when we played K-State in 1959. The game was to be in Brookings. K-state came to Brookings and ended up playing at Old State Field. CAS did not open until 1962 so there was five years period, but not without a great deal controversy and only half of the project being built.

Hopefully this time around, we will not have the problems that they had 50 years ago, but 20 years might be about right considering how many other projects are on the board. I am sure that there are alums and friends that might be very generous towards other projects, but building a new football staduim, they don't feel any generosity. Hope I am dead wrong.

Comment

Student Fees will not be used to rebuild CAS. period.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              CAS did not open until 1962 so there was five years period, but not without a great deal controversy and only half of the project being built.
              Worked in the media center during my time on campus. There are some very interesting renderings from back in the 50s.

My favorite design that didn't get built was a really scenic "ye olde college" horseshoe that looks like it might've held 12,000, but would've been expandable.

K-State at State Field! Man alive, I'd LOVE to have heard their comments about that..... It must've felt like they were playing in someone's backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                Worked in the media center during my time on campus. There are some very interesting renderings from back in the 50s.

My favorite design that didn't get built was a really scenic "ye olde college" horseshoe that looks like it might've held 12,000, but would've been expandable.

K-State at State Field! Man alive, I'd LOVE to have heard their comments about that..... It must've felt like they were playing in someone's backyard.
                I don't know what K-State's facilities were like then, but I can tell you they were absolutely terrible back. The worst big school program in the country. Things didn't change until they got Snyder, who is back now.
                Last edited by KUlawJack; 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  I don't know what K-State's facilities were like then, but I can tell you they were absolutely terrible back. The worst big school program in the country. Things didn't change until they got Schneider, who is back now.
                  You were right, K-state was not that good in 1959 as I recall. I was at the game, and it did not draw a sellout crowd by any means. The Wildcats won and I can recall they had some good tight ends and the Wildcats were doing a great deal of passing. I dont recall much else. It will be 50 years ago this fall, and I was just out of high school. It would be very interesting if someone were to find the a copy of the contract in the archives. I just checked the media guide and SDSU lost 12 to 28 and the following year they went to Manhattan and lost 6 to 20, so no blowouts either year. In fact in 1959, SDSU was 2-7 and the two wins were over USD and UND. Not a good year for SDSU or K-state for that matter. My guess it was a home and home contract. Football was much different back then. No Bill Snyder and no big sellouts.

Comment

Working...
                  X