PDA

View Full Version : Best Player Ever

Cowbell
02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Okay, since there isn't much to talk about in football for awhile, let's talk memories. Who was the best football player ever to come out of SDSU/SDSC?

BitsTD
02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
To lengthen the thread life I propose making an all time team and honorable mentions instead of just the best ever. Let's face it I don't know if anyone can argue with "the Little Ball of Hate".

Cowbell
02-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Good idea ... let's go:

1) Best quarterback
2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek
3) Best receiver
4) Best lineman
5) Best tight end
6) Best defensive lineman
7) Best linebacker
8) Best defensive back
9) Kicker
10) Punter

This ought to be interesting bringing in the perspectives of people who have watched the program for many years.

JimmyJack
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm just throwing out names of players that I remember for discussion purposes. I'll also be interested in what some of the other, longer-tenured fans will say:

1) Best quarterback: Ted Wahl, Brad Nelson, Ryan Berry
2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek: Cory Koenig, Rick Wegher
3) Best receiver: Josh Davis, Jeff Tiefenthaler
4) Best lineman: Lyn Boden, Adam Timmerman, Jim Langer
5) Best tight end: Chris Wagner (I think Cochart will be on this list when he's done)
6) Best defensive lineman: Somebody will have to help me here
7) Best linebacker: And here
8) Best defensive back: Wayne Rasmussen
9) Kicker: Parker Douglass, Adam Vinatieri
10) Punter: Wasn't Adam Vinatieri a pretty good punter?

SturgisJeff
02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Running Back Les Tuma 1970-1973 number four on all time career rushing leaders 3.018 yds number 9 and 10 rushing yds in a season 1972 1061, 1973 1,052.

MontanaRabbit
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm just throwing out names of players that I remember for discussion purposes. I'll also be interested in what some of the other, longer-tenured fans will say:

5) Best tight end: Chris Wagner (I think Cochart will be on this list when he's done)

I believe Adam was an all conference punter. Don't think he really came into his own kicking until after he graduated.

sfjacksfan99
02-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Just for the record, i'm in the younger crowd too.

1) Best quarterback: Wahl
2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek: I think Kyle Minett will be
3) Best receiver: Tiefenthaler
4) Best lineman: Timmerman
5) Best tight end: Steve Heiden
6) Best defensive lineman: Zach Carter
7) Best linebacker: Doug Miller or MilwaukeeJacksAlum
8) Best defensive back: Mike Jaunich
9) Kicker: Parker Douglas
10) Punter: Tom O'Brien

sfjacksfan99
02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I believe Adam was an all conference punter. Don't think he really came into his own kicking until after he graduated.

O'Brien is a three time all-american.

NoVaJack
02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Pretty sure Langer played linebacker in college.

Tuma was a heck of a running back on not-so-good teams, but you could make a case for Darwin Gonnerman in the late 1960s as at least in the top three.

Gary Hyde in the early 60s was a bruiser of a fullback.

Pete Retzlaff was a prototype H-Back long before they called it that; five time all pro.

SUPERBUNNY
02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
1) Best quarterback: Ted Wahl
2) Best running back: Pete Retzlaff
4) Best lineman: Langer
5) Best tight end: Heiden
6) Best defensive lineman: Kevin Tetzlaff
7) Best linebacker: Bruce Klosterman
9) Kicker: Adam Vinatieri

Pretty impressive list. Langer is the only NCC player in the NFL HOF and Vinatieri will join him there.

NoVaJack
02-15-2009, 08:16 PM
1) Best quarterback: Ted Wahl
2) Best running back: Pete Retzlaff
4) Best lineman: Langer
6) Best defensive lineman: Lyn Boden
7) Best linebacker: Bruce Klosterman

Pretty impressive list. Langer is the only NCC player in the NFL HOF and Vinatieri will join him there.

Boden played offensive tackle.

Ron Meyer, qb in mid-60s, was awfully, awfully good, believe played pro ball for a little bit.... Steelers, maybe.

BitsTD
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
1) Best quarterback: Ryan Berry
2) Best running back: Minnette
3) Best receiver: Davis and Tiefentaler
4) Best lineman: Matt Berry, Timmerman, Langer, Erickson,
6) Best defensive lineman: Zach Carter inside, Jason Aune outside
7) Best linebacker: Jimmy Rogers by the time he is done
8) Best defensive back: Casey Hillman

Keep in mind my knowledge of the Jacks before 1996 is very limited.

EQguy
02-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I think you all are forgetting Kevin Tetzlaff was a force to be reckoned with as a D-lineman.

Also gotta give love to Parker Douglass as a kicker. Vinny is a great pro but I'd bet Stig never tried a 65 yard field goal when Vinny kicked

UWMandSDSU
02-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Defensive Lineman: Zach Carter & Kevin Tetzlaff
Linebacker: Doug Miller (or did he play DE?)
Kicker: Parker, Brett Gordon, Vinatieri
Punter: O'Brien

Nidaros
02-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Ron Meyer, qb in mid-60s, was awfully, awfully good, believe played pro ball for a little bit.... Steelers, maybe.

I was on campus when Ron played at SDSU. I had doubts that he played in NFL at all but according to media guide Ron did indeed play for Pittsburgh in 1966. His favorite target was Ed Maras, from Windom Mn, who has the distinction of being drafted for both football and baseball. Ron and Ed were on the 62 and 63 teams that won the NCC, but after 63, SDSU kind of went south in terms of wins. I believe Ron still ranks among the top passing qbs.

I think picking players for all time is at best a hard task because the game has changed so much. Cleve Abbott was a great Center before WWI, and he played both ways and was also a great linebacker. I dont think most athletes today would be able to do this because, the game is more specialized and probably more demanding physically. I believe also Cleve Abbott was the first football player to get regional recognition on an all star team for the upper midwest.

2002jack
02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I think picking players for all time is at best a hard task because the game has changed so much. Cleve Abbott was a great Center before WWI, and he played both ways and was also a great linebacker. I dont think most athletes today would be able to do this because, the game is more specialized and probably more demanding physically.

Nidaros:

It's tough to argue, you are the only poster on here that ever saw Cleve play!!:D:D:D:D

SUPERBUNNY
02-15-2009, 09:33 PM

I fixed the error. Went with Tetzlaff at DT.

SUPERBUNNY

launcher46
02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I think you all are forgetting Kevin Tetzlaff was a force to be reckoned with as a D-lineman.

Also gotta give love to Parker Douglass as a kicker. Vinny is a great pro but I'd bet Stig never tried a 65 yard field goal when Vinny kicked

Well no because Stig wasn't the coach when Vinatieri was there haha. But you are correct as far as a college kicker goes I believe Parker Douglas was better. Vinny was helped by his ability to both kick and punt in getting a shot at the pros.

Jacked_Up
02-15-2009, 09:57 PM
In defense of some of the old-timers: Boden was a first-round NFL draft choice (in the 1970s?). I don't think the Jacks have had that high a draft before or since. Maybe Retzlaff, who came along earlier, then starred for the Eagles and, I think, was an NFL players union rep. Rasmussen, who had a long career with the Lions, might have been a college punter, too. During his college years, Vinatieri might have been better known as top-notch punter. Heiden played TE the same time Kleinsasser was playing for UND, and both of those guys are still in the NFL. Langar played center for the 17-0 Dolphins before being elected to the HOF. Don't know what position he played as a Jack.
Question: How about Maffet (spelling?) at QB? He might deserve consideration. Regardless, Berry has got to stack up favorably with with any Jack QB of the past.

mitchell
02-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I have to give some love to the players we've had the last couple years.

QB - Berry (his comeback from the concussion to lead us to victory in NDSU will be the stuff of legends)

RB - Minnet has been stellar so far and has two years left.

WR - I'd put Jaron up there with Josh Davis although Josh did alot of the extra stuff like block kicks, but Jaron flat out could take over games. Cal Poly comes to mind.

OL - Mitch Erickson

DE - Danny Batten - This guy has been puttin up numbers since he started as a true freshman and I expect big things for him in his senior year.

LB - Chris Coauette was solid

S - Scott Connot was also very good

I've really only been watching Jacks football for the past 8 years or so but we've had some good ones during that time

Cowbell
02-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Jacked Up brought up some oldies but goodies. Boden was, I believe, the only player from the NCC to ever be drafted in the first round. He never lived up to his promise. Retzlaff, I think, became the President of the Eagles. Retzlaff (now I might have this wrong) got in on the early stages of NFL films and worked with Steve Sabo.

ringthebells
02-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Vinny was a much better punter in college than place kicker. He had a huge leg, but was wildly inconsistant. I remember watching him bang a few extra points/shorter field goals off the uprights and then nail a 50 yarder. I'm not sure if he ever got the distinction of being an all-american punter, but he came up one attempt short of making the list one year. I'd have to go with Parker as a place kicker and Adam as a punter based on college experience.

I like Doug Miller at LB. He seemed like a man amongst boys when he played. He was also fun to watch during intramural games in the barn. He was about twice the size of the rest of the crowd and had a verticle leap that was unreal.

There seems to be a lot of good linemen to pick from, but the only one I can think of from my time at State is Timmerman. I didn't really pay attention to how he played, but he did have one of the largest melons I've ever seen.

Nidaros
02-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Nidaros:

It's tough to argue, you are the only poster on here that ever saw Cleve play!!:D:D

No in fact, I had to do some research. Something that you know nothing about. :D

Nidaros
02-16-2009, 07:47 AM
In defense of some of the old-timers: Boden was a first-round NFL draft choice (in the 1970s?). I don't think the Jacks have had that high a draft before or since. Maybe Retzlaff, who came along earlier, then starred for the Eagles and, I think, was an NFL players union rep. Rasmussen, who had a long career with the Lions, might have been a college punter, too. During his college years, Vinatieri might have been better known as top-notch punter. Heiden played TE the same time Kleinsasser was playing for UND, and both of those guys are still in the NFL. Langar played center for the 17-0 Dolphins before being elected to the HOF. Don't know what position he played as a Jack.
Question: How about Maffet (spelling?) at QB? He might deserve consideration. Regardless, Berry has got to stack up favorably with with any Jack QB of the past.

Rasmussen was never a punter that I am aware of. John Stone from Hendricks Minnesota set some records with FG's on the 62 team, so we did not need Rasmussent to punt. Also I think he was a defensive back in the NFL. Also what we know now as special teams started about the time John Stone was kicking field goals. I think Ralph Ginn started to see the value of a FG, which was a real rarity in the 1950's as I recall.

Gary was a very QB, and also a good football coach at Brookings High School.

yoteforever
02-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Ok oldtimers, I need help on this one. Wasn't there a player in the mid-70's that was the offensive left tackle that went to and played for the New York Giants. For some reason the name Brad Miller comes to mind, but that probably isn't correct.

Anyway, I can personally tell you, he was very good. Maybe his last season was '76 or so? Also, the QB back then was Gary Moffit. He was an excellent option quarterback. He came to SDSU from Des Moines, Iowa I think. Those are the two from the 70's I remember.

Nidaros
02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Ok oldtimers, I need help on this one. Wasn't there a player in the mid-70's that was the offensive left tackle that went to and played for the New York Giants. For some reason the name Brad Miller comes to mind, but that probably isn't correct.

Anyway, I can personally tell you, he was very good. Maybe his last season was '76 or so? Also, the QB back then was Gary Moffit. He was an excellent option quarterback. He came to SDSU from Des Moines, Iowa I think. Those are the two from the 70's I remember.

You might be thinking of Bill Mathews who went on to play a few years with New England Patriots and a couple other franchises. I never got a chance to see either Maffett or Mathews play. Lived away from the Dakotas when they were playing but went a couple of times to watch SDSU play Western Illinois in MaComb. Maffett may have been on one of those teams.

Jack4Life
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Lynn Boden is the only one that I can think of that would have been drafted in that era. I will have to check with 76Rabbit, that would be when he was playing.

yoteforever
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Lynn Boden is the only one that I can think of that would have been drafted in that era. I will have to check with 76Rabbit, that would be when he was playing.

If it was him, then I cast my vote for him. He was outstanding.

Jack4Life
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
If it was him, then I cast my vote for him. He was outstanding.

He was drafted by Detroit, though...then traded to the Bears later in his career.

yoteforever
02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I googled Lynn Boden, and it said he was drafted by the Lions in 1975. Born in '53, so that means his last season was '74. The guy I am thinking of was the offensive left tackle, and he would have played in '76 for sure, the year the game was tied down in Vermillion with no playoff.

I'm sure Boden was excellent, a 10 year NFL career says so. I am just not familiar with him, that's all.

It's fun to think of those days again.

yoteforever
02-16-2009, 10:27 AM
He was drafted by Detroit, though...then traded to the Bears later in his career.

Drafted by Detroit. Played 1 year wit the Bears, then back to Detroit for 4 more years.

GopherHole
02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
At running back you can not top Ranek, but I think Dan Sonnek deserves some ink. He broke Rick Wegher's records and I believe was the DII record holder for some time. He did not have the speed of Wegher or the moves of Ranek, but he was relentless in everything he did. :cool:

yoteforever
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I can't find anything about an offensive tackle drafted in the 70's other than Boden, so I am wrong on that. But I will throw another name out there for you to ponder.

Jim Langer. I think Jim played in the late 60's at SDSU, and went on to an All-Pro and Hall of Fame career for the Miami Dolphins. Jim was the center on the last undefeated team in the NFL.

Also, Hall of Fame. Now, that's impressive.

Jack4Life
02-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I can't find anything about an offensive tackle drafted in the 70's other than Boden, so I am wrong on that. But I will throw another name out there for you to ponder.

Jim Langer. I think Jim played in the late 60's at SDSU, and went on to an All-Pro and Hall of Fame career for the Miami Dolphins. Jim was the center on the last undefeated team in the NFL.

Could you be thinking of Bill Matthews? He was a linebacker and played for the Patriots for 3-4 seasons.

JackJD
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
76Rabbit was a teammate of both Boden and Billy Matthews.

Nidaros mentioned Cleve Abbott. It would be difficult to find a more-decorated and honored former SDSU athlete than Abbott. His story is an interesting one: a black guy from Watertown, four-year, all-sport standout athlete and top student; at SDSU, a 14-letter winner in four sports and an outstanding student; after graduating from SDSU in 1916, Abbott earned a doctorate at Harvard and was ready to launch a promising career as a research scientist when he was talked into teaching and coaching at Tuskegee Institute by its founder, Booker T. Washington. Tuskegee's stadium is named after him.

Link to the SDSU Athletic Hall of Fame: HERE (http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=899688&SPID=7147&SPSID=64578) At that site, you'll find links to Cleve Abbott, Bill Matthews, Pete Retzlaff, Jim Langer, Weert Engleman, Wayne Rasmussen, Darwin Gonnerman and many other football greats, some of whom have been mentioned in this thread.

NoVaJack
02-16-2009, 11:53 AM

been mentioned; played linebacker at SDSU!!!!

NoVaJack
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
'76Rabbit may know this but the story was that Boden got noticed when the Lions came to scout a D-end from either UND or NDSU and Boden owned him all day.

Also, per the question about another mid-70s o-tackle that ended in the pros. Could it be Brad Seely, who was for a long time the special teams coach at New England and may have moved recently to another team (Cleveland comes to mind for some reason)?

Jack4Life
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
'76 Jack may know this but the story was that Boden got noticed when the Lions came to scout a D-end from either UND or NDSU and Boden owned him all day.

Also, per the question about another mid-70s o-tackle that ended in the pros. Could it be Brad Seely, who was for a long time the special teams coach at New England and may have moved recently to another team (Cleveland comes to mind for some reason)?

I don't think Seely played pro. Believe he had a tryout with the Cowboys.

Nidaros
02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
At running back you can not top Ranek, but I think Dan Sonnek deserves some ink. He broke Rick Wegher's records and I believe was the DII record holder for some time. He did not have the speed of Wegher or the moves of Ranek, but he was relentless in everything he did. :cool:

Dan was a very good back, and a 9 man walk on too, I believe. He picked up many yards, and seem to find the holes, but would agree he did seem to come to the ground eaiser than Ranek. Also one of the best. The more names that come up and its fun to go down memory lane, the more differences etc that we seem to note. I think the best players we have had were on the 2008 squad. In 2013, the best will be on the 2013 team. Moving up to FCS gave more money and more recruiting opportunities, plus the current weight room facility is a long ways from the one room overheated with a few bar bells in the Barn. Someone must remember that surely.

Jacks#1Fan
02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Pete Retzlaff has to go on any all-time list. His 10 years in the pros was mainly as a tight end...he did go on have a great career, in management at the Eagles to start with, and later in the pro football film business. Langer, of course, was an offensive lineman and played center for the Dolphins. Josh Ranek has to go on as a running back...he's the best we have ever had to date, although we have had some good ones.

I was a little surprised that Adam Timmerman hasn't yet been mentioned.
Timmerman. a guard, played his first four seasons with the Green Bay Packers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers), making it to two Super Bowls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) and winning Super Bowl XXXI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXI). After the 1998 season, Timmerman joined the Rams and won another Super Bowl ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_ring) in Super Bowl XXXIV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIV). He also made it back to the Super Bowl with the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVI), losing to the New England Patriots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots). The Rams released Timmerman on February 27, 2007, and he officially retired following the 2007 season.

Needs to be on the team. Cleve Abbott was a superb all-around athlete, but hard to compare his years to those since World War II.

rabbits64
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Pete Retzlaff has to go on any all-time list. His 10 years in the pros was mainly as a tight end...he did go on have a great career, in management at the Eagles to start with, and later in the pro football film business. Langer, of course, was an offensive lineman and played center for the Dolphins. Josh Ranek has to go on as a running back...he's the best we have ever had to date, although we have had some good ones.

Timmerman. a guard, played his first four seasons with the Green Bay Packers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers), making it to two Super Bowls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) and winning Super Bowl XXXI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXI). After the 1998 season, Timmerman joined the Rams and won another Super Bowl ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_ring) in Super Bowl XXXIV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIV). He also made it back to the Super Bowl with the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVI), losing to the New England Patriots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots). The Rams released Timmerman on February 27, 2007, and he officially retired following the 2007 season.

Needs to be on the team. Cleve Abbott was a superb all-around athlete, but hard to compare his years to those since World War II.

I am glad you put Adam on here. One other note with Adam, he was also D2 Offensive Lineman of the year, twice.

SUPERBUNNY
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM

You are right about Timmerman but the criteria laid out called for just one lineman and it is pretty hard to pass up a guy like Langer who is in the NFL Hall of Fame. Adam would have been an easy second choice on my list. If we were to list all eleven positions on both sides of the ball I would be suprised if Timmerman wasn't on nearly 100% of the lists.

It's kind of fun to look back at some of the great players over the years. The cool thing is that the level of talent is only going to continue to improve with the increased talent level at D1.

Good stuff!

SUPERBUNNY

rabbits64
02-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Well no because Stig wasn't the coach when Vinatieri was there haha. But you are correct as far as a college kicker goes I believe Parker Douglas was better. Vinny was helped by his ability to both kick and punt in getting a shot at the pros.

Vinny was a very good punter in college and an average field goal kicker. Vinny missed a lot of easy field goals and extra points, it wasn't until he got a true kicking coach that he became the kicker he is today.

NoVaJack
02-16-2009, 03:07 PM
You are right about Timmerman but the criteria laid out called for just one lineman and it is pretty hard to pass up a guy like Langer who is in the NFL Hall of Fame. Adam would have been an easy second choice on my list. If we were to list all eleven positions on both sides of the ball I would be suprised if Timmerman wasn't on nearly 100% of the lists.

It's kind of fun to look back at some of the great players over the years. The cool thing is that the level of talent is only going to continue to improve with the increased talent level at D1.

Good stuff!

SUPERBUNNY

Easy solution: Langer played linebacker at State!

ringthebells
02-16-2009, 03:09 PM
How about Mike Busch at QB? I never saw him play so somebody will have to fill me in, but he helped coach my high school team when he was finishing his teaching certificate (I think). I later read about him on a plaque in the HPER.

JimmyJack
02-16-2009, 03:13 PM

I mentioned him in the fourth post of this thread.

EQguy
02-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I have to give some love to the players we've had the last couple years.

QB - Berry (his comeback from the concussion to lead us to victory in NDSU will be the stuff of legends)

RB - Minnet has been stellar so far and has two years left.

WR - I'd put Jaron up there with Josh Davis although Josh did alot of the extra stuff like block kicks, but Jaron flat out could take over games. Cal Poly comes to mind.

OL - Mitch Erickson

DE - Danny Batten - This guy has been puttin up numbers since he started as a true freshman and I expect big things for him in his senior year.

LB - Chris Coauette was solid

S - Scott Connot was also very good

I've really only been watching Jacks football for the past 8 years or so but we've had some good ones during that time

If you look in the dictionary under football player they have a picture of Chris Coauette.

Cowbell
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Chris was a great player. Better person. Surprised he never got to the next level.

Nidaros
02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Chris was a great player. Better person. Surprised he never got to the next level.

At the D2 level, this was one of the few times that Coach Stig was able to beat out his good friend Dale Lennon in recruiting in his own backyard, and apparently UND kind of messed up. I never got the full story, but Crookston is not very far from Grand Forks. Yes I thought a great deal of Chris as a fb player. He was very good as a linebacker. I never got the chance to meet him, but am sure that he is a great guy. Does anyone still keep in touch and what is Chris up to now days?

Cowbell
02-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Other than Chris Wagner, who were some of the great tight ends in the past?

Jack4Life
02-16-2009, 08:47 PM

Steve Heiden

JackJD
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Didn't Monte Mosiman (Onida) standout TE in the early to mid 70s, play a little pro ball?

NoVaJack
02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Didn't Monte Mosiman (Onida) standout TE in the early to mid 70s, play a little pro ball?
USFL maybe
also played basketball. role was enforcer. If another team had a forward that was getting a little frisky inside, a couple of minutes of Monte sent him back to the corner where he stayed until Monte left the game. that cycle would repeat until the forward permanently camped out 25 or more feet from the basket.

76Rabbit
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Played with Lynn for two years then redshirted my senior year due to an injury then played my 5th year. Lynn was noticed in a game against UNLV (first year we travelled to Las Vegas)his senior year when he dominated an All-American who was being looked at by many pro teams. He was not a large o-tackle, but he was quick, had great technique and loved pulling in front of sweeps...many d-backs got to know Lynn very personally!! Drafted #17 in the '75 draft and played o-guard as a pro. I think he is back in Oseola, Neb. living on the family farm.

Greg Miller from Mitchell followed Lynn at left o-tackle but I do not think he made it to the pros...was still a very good o-tackle.

Bill Matthews, a couple years younger than Lynn, was from Wessington Springs (or Wessington) and may have been the best athlete on the team. He had all the tools; speed, size, talent & brains. Played defensive end at State, but drafted as an LB for Patriots.

From the same era, I believe Jerry Lawrence (def. tackle) was either drafted or signed as a free agent with the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry developed himself into a good football player with hard work!

'76Rabbit may know this but the story was that Boden got noticed when the Lions came to scout a D-end from either UND or NDSU and Boden owned him all day.

JimmyJack
02-16-2009, 09:16 PM

There's one I couldn't remember. I had Monte, but not Mosiman. He was a terrific player.

76Rabbit
02-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't think Monte made it to the NFL, but he made many clutch catches for the Jacks. He may have accelerated Norm Hilson's ( All-star WNAX radio announcer) heart condition with his game winning catches.

CatchEmAll
02-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Some other TE from SE Minnesota prior to Heiden had a pretty good run. Garnered some awards. Not NFL quality, but not so bad. Can't think of his name though :D

Yes. Shameless I know.

CatchEmAll
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
A little '90's spin on the list

1) Best quarterback - Todd McDonald - GREAT 1993 season
2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek - Josh Ranek
3) Best receiver - Josh Davis
4) Best lineman - Timmerman, Berry
5) Best tight end - Heiden
6) Best defensive lineman - Tetz, Carter
7) Best linebacker - Doug Miller
8) Best defensive back - Mike Jaunich
9) Kicker - Brett Gordon
10) Punter - Tom O'Brien

Vinny really didn't hit his stride until after SDSU. The double duty hindered him more than anything (just ask him).

Everyone will remember the top players of their specific decade. I happened to live through most of the '90's at SDSU and these are some of the names that stick out. Can't disagree with anyone's picks though as we all have our favorites from different eras. Great discussion though to see what names people are putting out there.

BitsTD
02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
A little '90's spin on the list

1) Best quarterback - Todd McDonald - GREAT 1993 season
2) Best running back besides Josh Ranek - Josh Ranek
3) Best receiver - Josh Davis
4) Best lineman - Timmerman, Berry
5) Best tight end - Heiden
6) Best defensive lineman - Tetz, Carter
7) Best linebacker - Doug Miller
8) Best defensive back - Mike Jaunich
9) Kicker - Brett Gordon
10) Punter - Tom O'Brien

Vinny really didn't hit his stride until after SDSU. The double duty hindered him more than anything (just ask him).

Everyone will remember the top players of their specific decade. I happened to live through most of the '90's at SDSU and these are some of the names that stick out. Can't disagree with anyone's picks though as we all have our favorites from different eras. Great discussion though to see what names people are putting out there.

I am glad someone finally mentioned Gordo. I know we have had some good ones and I think he should definitely be top 3-4 all-time.

I would have liked to have seen Jaunich. I've seen his name a couple times on this thread. Can anyone elaborate? Was he a ball hawker or hard hitter or what?

CatchEmAll
02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I would have liked to have seen Jaunich. I've seen his name a couple times on this thread. Can anyone elaborate? Was he a ball hawker or hard hitter or what?

Both. Was one of the top INT guys on the team and in the conference his last couple of years. Was a freshman in '91, shirt was pulled two games in because of injuries. Went about 6'2", low 200's. Played mostly safety but also some CB over his four years. He was one of those all-around athlete types. But if you asked me if he was an athlete or a football player I'd say he was a football player. There's a difference in my book. You can have a great athlete who can't do squat on the football field. Or you can have a great football player, who doesn't always look the part, but can also excel in other athletic pursuits. Mike was one of those guys. Didn't tear up the weight room. Didn't run the fastest. Just knew how to play the game and was in the right place at the right time often. Never stopped running his mouth though. Bugged the crap out of me even when I'd eat him alive in practice.

76Rabbit
02-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Could you be thinking of Chuck Loewen who was o-left tackle in probably 77-78. Was drafted by San Diego Chargers and played a couple years before a devastating knee injury ended his career.

RabbitinTea
02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice to see Carter make the list...saw him play a little and he was quite good. Same type of mold as Schroeder, but maybe a little better. If there was a section for scariest football player in the cafeteria, then my vote would be for Zach.

Jacks-02
02-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Nice to see Carter make the list...saw him play a little and he was quite good. Same type of mold as Schroeder, but maybe a little better. If there was a section for scariest football player in the cafeteria, then my vote would be for Zach.

Its a shame he had so many injuries during his career, I think he could have had a shot at the NFL otherwise.

Jacked_Up
02-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Going back to the late 60s-early 70s, was Clyde Hagen a tight end? He was a multi-sport stud. A power guy. Starting forward in basketball and field events in track.

jacksfaninne
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Dennis Thomas from Parkston, I believe, was a pretty solid TE in the early-mid 80s. Sits at No. 5 on the career reception list. Was invited to camp with the Packers, if I remember right.

Crashola
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Dennis Thomas was an All-American and was in camp with both the Broncos and Bengals -- if I recall correctly. He also beat the h*&% out of me in high school when he was first-string TE and I was second-string DE (and vice versa).

Sonnek was a lot of fun to watch. He broke a lot of rushing records, but was also a vicious blocker when asked to do so. He was also pretty smart -- he had a super-high GPA in Ag. Engineering.

sfjacksfan99
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I am glad someone finally mentioned Gordo. I know we have had some good ones and I think he should definitely be top 3-4 all-time.

I liked Brett too. Without digging up stats, he always seemed to be very accurate. He didn't have the big leg that Parker Douglas did, but I believe he had the school record field goal before Parker, maybe a little wind-aided, if I recall. College-wise, I would probably take him after Parker, but before Vinny. Like others have said Vinny was a good college kicker, but until he went down to Florida with the kicking coach and then got hooked up after that, he wasn't great.

The Todd McDonald choice by c'emall ran through my head too. The big season he had early in the '90s was very impressive. Wahl just has the career stats over McDonald.

sfjacksfan99
02-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Its a shame he had so many injuries during his career, I think he could have had a shot at the NFL otherwise.

Absolutely. Zach Carter was a bad, bad man on the football field. I can't imagine what he did to guys in high school, because he was big when he got to college.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-17-2009, 01:15 PM
My biased list contains mainly guys I played with or were close to my time table. In other words, "best ever" is best I can remember from a dude in his early 30's.

Best QB: Nelson, McDonald
Best RB: Josh Ranek (honorable Mention: Wert Englemann*)
Best OL: Timmerman, Ryan Berry
Best TE: Heiden, Jake Hines**
Best WR: Josh Davis, Nate Millerbernd
Best DE: Jason Aune
Best DT: Zach Carter***
Best LB: Doug Miller****
Best DB: Casey Hillman*****
Best K: Parker Douglas
Best P: Vinny

*Wert Engelmann is my mom's uncle, member of the SDSU hall of fame and Green Bay Packers hall of fame. In other words, shameless plug for a family member.
**If only because Jake made his shameless plug and he held me on every play when I was a scout team freshman just because he couldn't handle 180 pounds of skin and bones making him look bad. For that matter, he taught Steve how to hold who turned it into a 10 year NFL career and counting.
***Zach was/is the strongest human being I've ever met. He was getting double team blocks as a true-freshman by the end of the season and that was with two all-conference DE's on each side of him. Bad legs did him in and sapped his power, but he still made the final cut for the Bills before getting the ax over their 3rd round pick from that year. His soph year he was the most dominating lineman in the league by a mile.
****They'd still be talking about Doug's NFL career had he not been given the two worst knees for a superior athlete. When he was back coaching for a year, he and I played basketball one day and he tore some cartilage just running the court. His knees were crap. He was a stud linebacker and a bad dude.
*****Best athlete of anyone I can think of for DB. He played Corner which is a tough pick. Until recently, we haven't been blessed with the best secondary around.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-17-2009, 01:17 PM
thanks to sfjacksfan99 for the plug at LB and the laugh. Sterne Akin was the star of the linebacking show when I was playing. rep points for the shout out anyway.

mango4
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
My biased list contains mainly guys I played with or were close to my time table. In other words, "best ever" is best I can remember from a dude in his early 30's.

Best QB: Nelson, McDonald
Best RB: Josh Ranek (honorable Mention: Wert Englemann*)
Best OL: Timmerman, Ryan Berry
Best TE: Heiden, Jake Hines**
Best WR: Josh Davis, Nate Millerbernd
Best DT: Zach Carter***
Best LB: Doug Miller****
Best DB: Casey Hillman*****
Best P: Vinny

*Wert Engelmann is my mom's uncle, member of the SDSU hall of fame and Green Bay Packers hall of fame. In other words, shameless plug for a family member.
**If only because Jake made his shameless plug and he held me on every play when I was a scout team freshman just because he couldn't handle 180 pounds of skin and bones making him look bad. For that matter, he taught Steve how to hold who turned it into a 10 year NFL career and counting.
***Zach was/is the strongest human being I've ever met. He was getting double team blocks as a true-freshman by the end of the season and that was with two all-conference DE's on each side of him. Bad legs did him in and sapped his power, but he still made the final cut for the Bills before getting the ax over their 3rd round pick from that year. His soph year he was the most dominating lineman in the league by a mile.
****They'd still be talking about Doug's NFL career had he not been given the two worst knees for a superior athlete. When he was back coaching for a year, he and I played basketball one day and he tore some cartilage just running the court. His knees were crap. He was a stud linebacker and a bad dude.
*****Best athlete of anyone I can think of for DB. He played Corner which is a tough pick. Until recently, we haven't been blessed with the best secondary around.

Is there another Ryan Berry I don't know of? It's entirely possible, as I'm still relatively young and don't know most of the old timers

UWMandSDSU
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Is there another Ryan Berry I don't know of? It's entirely possible, as I'm still relatively young and don't know most of the old timers

I think he is referring to Matt Berry (?)

sfjacksfan99
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm sure he means Matt Berry, the greatest guitar player in Jacks football history.

MJA, I can't believe you're taking Vinny as the punter over Tom.

RABBITALUM08
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm not that familiar with that many old players but having played with both Brad Nelson and Ryan Berry and seeing what Berry did this last season, I would have to take Ryan hands down!

EQguy
02-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Just thought of another more recent player who hasn't gotten much of a mention. Hank McCall did a great job at corner for the two years he played there. He went one on one with NFL player Vincent Jackson and shut him down completely.

Walrus
02-17-2009, 09:01 PM

I think that Tom Jones was either drafted or had try out with Dallas. He was also on the basketball team for at least one season (my freshman year).

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm sure he means Matt Berry, the greatest guitar player in Jacks football history.

MJA, I can't believe you're taking Vinny as the punter over Tom.

Matt Berry is correct. Had Ryan on the brain for the QB question. And Matt is hands down the best guitar player SDSU football has ever seen. He's playing for a living now from what I understand. He was a center and very quick on his feet. He and Craig Ploetz used to single handedly destroy the pizza buffet at George's pizza on a routine basis. Craig Ploetz - he was so big he'd sweat while toweling off from his shower. He would claim the shower "didn't take". Also wore shorts across campus in the dead of winter. Also, probably top 5 smartest people I know.

Tom was on track to be the best punter of all time at SDSU until he found the cafeteria. He literally ate his way out of an NFL job.

Cowbell
02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Does anyone remember that "destroyer" (from Minnesota) on the offensive line from about ten years ago. He was mean as a snake. Played two years and was done. Had about three personal foul penalties a game.

jack43
02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Does anyone remember that "destroyer" (from Minnesota) on the offensive line from about ten years ago. He was mean as a snake. Played two years and was done. Had about three personal foul penalties a game.

Brock Zierden. He only played during my first two years at State, but I continually say, he may be the best raw football player I've every played with, or seen play in person. (Ranek was also there at this time) If his head was on straight, he would be a dominate force in the league. Anyone who feels otherwise, should get their hands on some 2000 game tape. True, he had a lot of personal fouls, but it was because of complete domination of the man across from him and playing to the whistle. He made players like Anthony Dunn and Chris Cooper (both played multiple seasons in the NFL) look like children. He was fun to watch.

Cowbell
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM
That's it! That guy could do 3 pancake blocks on play. Then, he'd lay on the last guy and "give him the business." He was far more devastating than Adam Timmerman.

BitsTD
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
That's it! That guy could do 3 pancake blocks on play. Then, he'd lay on the last guy and "give him the business." He was far more devastating than Adam Timmerman.

We had two very good tackles in Zierdan and Matt Rock at that time.

CSU-Rabbit
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Best QB: Dan Fjeldheim
Best RB: Josh Ranek
Best FB: Greg Peitz or Dan Dykhouse
Best OL: Timmerman, Brock Zierden, Michael Suhn
Best TE: Steve Heiden, Chris Wagner
Best WR: Josh Davis, Jaron Harris
Best DT: Willie Jones
Best LB: Doug Miller
Best DB: Mitch Klein or James Epps
Best P: Adam Vinatieri

Enjoy!

JackJD
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Some of the comments about guys being the "toughest" or "meanest", brought to mind one recruit back in John Gregory's era, about 1973. I was working in the Sports Information Bureau and remember hearing about a new recruit from Folsom State out of California (that is literally what I was told...maybe I was gullible but I didn't get it at first: Folsom State as in Johnny Cash's alma mater). I won't say the guy's name but I think he was on campus only a matter of weeks and if my memory is correct, he boogied after punching out a cop at a party.

goon
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Matt Rock was injured some was he not? My memory does not serve me well, I always felt he was a big part of the yards Ranek got. Can not remember the years he played but I thought there was a leg injury maybe that kept him down a bit maybe in 2000? im sure someone could fill in the blank spots for me.

Im gonna throw out there Justin Landis also, cant remember if i read his name yet or not but he could lay a hit to set your teeth free if i recall. he sure was fun to watch.

State_fan
02-19-2009, 12:26 AM

You gotta go with Scott Connot over either listed above. Played for the Chiefs, dominated in NFL Europe, if not for injuries might have become more of a presence at the next level.

I'm not sure how he compares against some of the db's from the 90s and earlier though, I'm a little to young have any idea there.

Jack4Life
02-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Some of the comments about guys being the "toughest" or "meanest", brought to mind one recruit back in John Gregory's era, about 1973. I was working in the Sports Information Bureau and remember hearing about a new recruit from Folsom State out of California (that is literally what I was told...maybe I was gullible but I didn't get it at first: Folsom State as in Johnny Cash's alma mater). I won't say the guy's name but I think he was on campus only a matter of weeks and if my memory is correct, he boogied after punching out a cop at a party.

I believe you are correct. The punch to the officer came after he pulled a gas meter off the wall of a local establishment.

SturgisJeff
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I believe you are correct. The punch to the officer came after he pulled a gas meter off the wall of a local establishment.

In the mid seventies there was also a guy from Beresford. Gene ?, who played either the offensive line or defensive line. Mean and mean. At the Jackrabbit Stampede the football team had a team in the wild horse ride, Lynn Boden and this guy were on it along with two others. He grabbed the horses head and bit into the horses ear, while they saddled it, caused an uproar. I think they also beat the crap out of the poor horse.

Jacked_Up
02-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Best DB has to be Wayne Rasmussen, who was also a basketball star for the Jacks. He was drafted out of SDSU and played DB for the Detroit Lions from 1964 to 1972 (back when the Lions were good). He also returned punts.

ausbesticide
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Enjoy!

Seriously?

JimmyJack
02-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Best DB has to be Wayne Rasmussen, who was also a basketball star for the Jacks. He was drafted out of SDSU and played DB for the Detroit Lions from 1964 to 1972 (back when the Lions were good). He also returned punts.

I agree.

jack43
02-19-2009, 12:36 PM

Enjoy!

Rabbit de CSU, I laughed out-loud when I saw this. I think were missing that intra-mural quarterback from Dells on there too. Schmeback, Schwaybar?...... something like that.

jack43
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Matt Rock was injured some was he not? My memory does not serve me well, I always felt he was a big part of the yards Ranek got. Can not remember the years he played but I thought there was a leg injury maybe that kept him down a bit maybe in 2000? im sure someone could fill in the blank spots for me.

Im gonna throw out there Justin Landis also, cant remember if i read his name yet or not but he could lay a hit to set your teeth free if i recall. he sure was fun to watch.

I was a fresheman in 2000, and I don't believe Matt Rock played one game that year due to injury. It's too bad, there were scouts at camp every day during fall ball, and I heard he was a much more polished player than zierden.

rational thought
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Enjoy!

This list had to have been made after the "Binnewies Bash" or Young Hall's "mega Keg"

SDSU16
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
In the mid seventies there was also a guy from Beresford. Gene ?, who played either the offensive line or defensive line. Mean and mean. At the Jackrabbit Stampede the football team had a team in the wild horse ride, Lynn Boden and this guy were on it along with two others. He grabbed the horses head and bit into the horses ear, while they saddled it, caused an uproar. I think they also beat the crap out of the poor horse.
I think the guy from Beresford that you're talking about was Doug Voss. He was one crazy SOB.

Jack4Life
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I think the guy from Beresford that you're talking about was Doug Voss. He was one crazy SOB.

Knew Voss since he was a kid. Always a mean b*stard. Played against him in high school. Always one of my more painful mornings after. Doug went to Ellsworth JC in Iowa and then transferred to SDSU for his last two years. I believe he was one of the few that did not secure a degree. His last day of attendance was the last game.

SturgisJeff
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Yea it was Doug Voss. He was crazy but a friend. I think he went back to farming by Beresford and donated a cow for the Beef Bowl one year. He was not afraid and did not back down from a fight.

SDSU16
02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure where he came from but the guy's name was McGinty, I think his first name was John, aka Wild Man McGinty.

Nidaros
02-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I don't think Folsom State is or was Johny Cash's alma mater. He was a big time guest there for a concert, but never enrolled. :D Johny did have a bad chemical dependency problem and was mess when I went to his concert at the SF Arena, about 1965 and because of his stardom, he did not get sent up, but maybe should have.

I do know after reading his autobiography, that Merle Haggard was a Folsom State alum. He also had a cell near condemed guy name Carroll Chesseman, that was finally executed in 1960.
Chesseman case raised a lot of the arguements about the death penalty. I was in So Calif working at the time and that was all people could talk about.

DRIFT, I am done.

rational thought
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't think Folsom State is or was Johny Cash's alma mater. He was a big time guest there for a concert, but never enrolled. :D Johny did have a bad chemical dependency problem and was mess when I went to his concert at the SF Arena, about 1965 and because of his stardom, he did not get sent up, but maybe should have.

I do know after reading his autobiography, that Merle Haggard was a Folsom State alum. He also had a cell near condemed guy name Carroll Chesseman, that was finally executed in 1960.
Chesseman case raised a lot of the arguements about the death penalty. I was in So Calif working at the time and that was all people could talk about.

DRIFT, I am done.There was a guy who took an official visit back during this era, who was a con man.....and i believe arrested while visiting SDSU....threatened the Coaching staff while behind bars...

Danger41
02-24-2009, 10:59 PM
My favorite player was Whiston Kaleimamahu when he lined up at fullback in the "Hawaiian Punch" package. Nothing like a 5'9'' 320+ Hawaiian lined up as a lead blocker.

Simply beautiful.

KUlawJack
02-25-2009, 07:26 AM
My favorite player was Whiston Kaleimamahu when he lined up at fullback in the "Hawaiian Punch" package. Nothing like a 5'9'' 320+ Hawaiian lined up as a lead blocker.

Simply beautiful.

Dude could karaoke like a mad man as well.

EQguy
02-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Dude could karaoke like a mad man as well.

Rumor has it Whiston could put on a mean barbeque also.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Two of my favorites are WR Lionel Macklin and DE Joey Abell.

rational thought
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Two of my favorites are WR Lionel Macklin and DE Joey Abell.

Macklin could be arguably the best WR to ever play at SDSU....statistically no! but we ran a wishbone offense back then...unbelievable hands(average speed)...It would've been interesting to see him play in a spread offense

Best Player...without question Jim Langer....when someone else makes the HOF...then we can debate it.

SUPERBUNNY
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Best Player...without question Jim Langer....when someone else makes the HOF...then we can debate it.

That's the way I feel about it. Don't care what position he played at SDSU. He's in the HOF. Enough said.

SUPERBUNNY

Crashola
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Macklin could be arguably the best WR to ever play at SDSU....statistically no! but we ran a wishbone offense back then...unbelievable hands(average speed)...It would've been interesting to see him play in a spread offense

I remember watching Macklin when I was kid. He made a remarkable catch against Augustana at Howard Wood one day that's still etched in my mind.

JACKGUYII
02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I also recall that catch. I also remember several of the DB's like Dan Dummermuth wearing the bandannas!

Crashola
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Now there's a blast from the past! I was maybe 11 or 12 years old at the time and I sure remember the bandanas. I think Gary Maffett wore one as well.