PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Schedules

NorCalJack
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
If you want to check out all of the MVFC schedules for 2009, click here (http://schedules.travisliles.com/2009/01/2009-missouri-valley-conference.html).

Go State!!!
Go Jacks!!!

bub94
02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Boy, Georgia Southern, Minnesota, and Cal-Poly are pretty good OOC games. I see NDSU has Iowa State. They must still be working on one more game. The thing that surprises me is the first 2 weeks are bye weeks for SDSU. It is always nice to see an open date during the year to get healthy. Actually, the first week is a bye for all the teams.

FargoBison
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
NDSU finally got the schedule done....

DATE OPPONENT TIME
Sept. 3 at Iowa State TBA
Sept. 12 at Sam Houston State 6 p.m.
Sept. 19 WAGNER 6 p.m.
Sept. 26 *at Southern Illinois 6 p.m.
Oct. 3 *ILLINOIS STATE 1 p.m. (Homecoming)
Oct. 10 *NORTHERN IOWA 6 p.m.
Oct. 17 *at South Dakota State 6 p.m.
Oct. 24 *MISSOURI STATE 6 p.m. (Harvest Bowl)
Oct. 31 *at Western Illinois 1:05 p.m.
Nov. 14 *at Indiana State 12:05 p.m.
Nov. 21 *YOUNGSTOWN STATE 6 p.m.

NoVaJack
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM

DATE OPPONENT TIME
Sept. 19 WAGNER 6 p.m.

Wagner? Hmmmm
Bison three Out of Conference games pale to the Jacks' Minnesota, Georgia Southern, Cal Poly matchups.

EQguy
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm still not sure which is smarter. My guess is if SDSU would have had NDSU's OOC schedule last year they end up in the playoffs.

Kemo
04-21-2009, 01:36 AM

DATE OPPONENT TIME
Sept. 19 WAGNER 6 p.m.
Wagner is a little weak but Sam Houston State and Iowa State are about right for out of conference schedule, especially when the conference schedule is rough enough the way it is.

I understand that the late scheduling led to Wagner being on the schedule, but when all possible, my thought is it's probably best to get a middle of the pack team for an OOC game. Not even so much for strength of schedule purposes, but rather so the team doesn't have such a disparity in competition between games (Southern Illinois >>> Wagner)... but then again, maybe the Bison's schedule is the best idea since buffalo sauce (mmmm... wings), who really knows?!!

FargoBison
04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Looks like Wagner got $150k for coming to Fargo, that is a big check. Its not the most exciting game but at least they are a DI, and a team needs 7 DI wins to get a playoff look.

I will add that besides the 2 for 1 with Delaware, I like how you guys schedule. Your schedule last year was amazing.

FargoBison
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Here is the almost complete 2009 MVFC non-conference breakdown...

Ind. St: @ Louisville, EIU,
Ill. St: @EIU, @Illinois, Austin Peay
MSU: @Arkansas, UT-Martin, Murray State
NDSU: @Iowa State, @Sam Houston, Wagner
SDSU: Georgia Southern, @Cal Poly, @Minnesota
SIU: @Marshall, Southwest Baptist, @SEMO
UNI: @Iowa, USD, St Francis
WIU: @Sam Houston, @Northern Ill., SFA
YSU: @Pitt, Austin Peay, @Northeastern

FBS:9

CAA: 1
GWFC: 2
NEC: 2
OVC: 7
SLC: 3
SoCon: 1

Non-DI: 1

FargoBison
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
If you want to see an example of how not to schedule look no further than SIU. They have one FBS game and one non-DI, which could very well force them to go 8-1 in the rest of their games.

jackmd
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Looks like Wagner got $150k for coming to Fargo, that is a big check. Its not the most exciting game but at least they are a DI, and a team needs 7 DI wins to get a playoff look.

I will add that besides the 2 for 1 with Delaware, I like how you guys schedule. Your schedule last year was amazing.

Its called buying a win. I hope the players and Bohl send the boosters a thank you note. Kind of a catch-22 for Bison fans. You give money, you buy tickets, then you have to go and watch the money you gave be spent to pay for a beat down of an inferior team from the same subdivision. Buying the win against Wagner may or may not work out for the Bison.

JACKGUYII
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Its called buying a win. I hope the players and Bohl send the boosters a thank you note. Kind of a catch-22 for Bison fans. You give money, you buy tickets, then you have to go and watch the money you gave be spent to pay for a beat down of an inferior team from the same subdivision. Buying the win against Wagner may or may not work out for the Bison.

The University of Montana has been doing it for years! I hope we never schedule them unless it's one trip to Brookings with no return.

FargoBison
04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
The University of Montana has been doing it for years! I hope we never schedule them unless it's one trip to Brookings with no return.

I don't know if I would compare NDSU to Buyout U, NDSU at least makes it clear that the teams we schedule won't get a home game and are paid well.

It does sound like our AD was trying to get a game with Maine or Delaware State but things didn't work out.

JimmyJack
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Next year looks good to me. GSU at home is winnable against a high quality opponent. Cal Poly on the road is winnable, too (thank heavens Dally and Barden are gone). I suppose it would be nice to have an easier game in there somewhere, but I think our program has matured to the point where these aren't inordinately difficult games.

Regarding NDSU: Wagner? Meh. What a waste of a home game for fans. But Sam Houston isn't an easy road win.

HandoEX
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Look at the top 10 FCS teams from last year's final TSN rankings and see how many of those don't schedule a cupcake, non-conference game at home.

School: Opponent, score, opponents record, opponents conference
Richmond: Georgetown, 48-0, 2-8 record, Patriot
Montana: Southern Utah, 46-10, 4-7 record, GWFC
James Madison: North Carolina Central, 56-7, 4-7 record, FCS independent
UNI: South Dakota, 24-13, 6-5 record as a transitional school, GWFC
Appalacian State: Presbyterian, 48-14, 4-8 record, FCS independent
Villanova: Lehigh, 33-14, 5-6 record, Patriot League
Weber State: Montana Western, 62-6, D2 or D3 school
...................Dixie State, 44-7, D2 or D3 School
New Hampshire: Dartmouth, 42-6, 0-10 record, Ivy leagy
Wofford: Presbyterian, 38-21, 4-8 record, FCS independent
Cal Poly: North Carolina Central, 49-3, 4-7 record, FCS independent
.............Idaho State, 49-10, 1-11 record, Big Sky

jackmd
04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Look at the top 10 FCS teams from last year's final TSN rankings and see how many of those don't schedule a cupcake, non-conference game at home.

School: Opponent, score, opponents record, opponents conference
Richmond: Georgetown, 48-0, 2-8 record, Patriot
Montana: Southern Utah, 46-10, 4-7 record, GWFC
James Madison: North Carolina Central, 56-7, 4-7 record, FCS independent
UNI: South Dakota, 24-13, 6-5 record as a transitional school, GWFC
Appalacian State: Presbyterian, 48-14, 4-8 record, FCS independent
Villanova: Lehigh, 33-14, 5-6 record, Patriot League
Weber State: Montana Western, 62-6, D2 or D3 school
...................Dixie State, 44-7, D2 or D3 School
New Hampshire: Dartmouth, 42-6, 0-10 record, Ivy leagy
Wofford: Presbyterian, 38-21, 4-8 record, FCS independent
Cal Poly: North Carolina Central, 49-3, 4-7 record, FCS independent
.............Idaho State, 49-10, 1-11 record, Big Sky

How many pay $150,000 and don't return the game? I'm guessing ZERO but I could be wrong. You're hoping to buy a win in an attempt to improve your chances at a playoff bid. Its not that hard to admit it, is it?

FargoBison
04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
How many pay $150,000 and don't return the game? I'm guessing ZERO but I could be wrong. You're hoping to buy a win in an attempt to improve your chances at a playoff bid. Its not that hard to admit it, is it?

Its not really buying a win, it is paying for a home game so we don't have travel in the future. Sure most teams that will come here for money aren't that great but if your school can do it they may as well do it. It's basically the same thing BCS conference schools do in football and basketball.

1stRowFANatic
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I guess I don't see it as a big deal. NDSU needed a game for next year, really wanted it to be a home game and they worked a deal.

RabbitObsessed
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I guess I don't see it as a big deal. NDSU needed a game for next year, really wanted it to be a home game and they worked a deal.

Exactly. Who cares?

jackmd
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Exactly. Who cares?

Lets see, last night Stig spoke specifically about this issue so I would say that many people in important positions care. Why are you commenting on it on the SDSU forum? I presume its because you care. Wait your also a.... (help me out Sturgis).

RabbitObsessed
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Lets see, last night Stig spoke specifically about this issue so I would say that many people in important positions care. Why are you commenting on it on the SDSU forum? I presume its because you care. Wait your also a.... (help me out Sturgis).

By "who cares" I meant "what's the big deal?"

My opinion is the exact same as 1st row's.

YOUR also a....

Please tell me you were going to make fun of my intelligence.

jackmd
04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
By "who cares" I meant "what's the big deal?"

My opinion is the exact same as 1st row's.

YOUR also a....

Please tell me you were going to make fun of my intelligence.

There are other differences between your opinion and 1strows. That is reality.

Our head football coach feels the same as I do about the situation. 1strow is a Jackrabbit fan who doesn't share a similar opinion or he simply doesn't care, I can respect that. You are a coyote fan who spends too much time on a Jackrabbit fan board.

Lastly, I already have a pretty good understanding of your intelligence and as someone who has to judge the intelligence of students everyday that may or may not be a good thing for you.

RabbitObsessed
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
There are other differences between your opinion and 1strows. That is reality.

Our head football coach feels the same as I do about the situation. 1strow is a Jackrabbit fan who doesn't share a similar opinion or he simply doesn't care, I can respect that. You are a coyote fan who spends too much time on a Jackrabbit fan board.

Lastly, I already have a pretty good understanding of your intelligence and as someone who has to judge the intelligence of students everyday that may or may not be a good thing for you.

No. My opinion is the same as 1stRow's. What I posted was not the same as 1stRow, obviously, but I share his opinion and agree with everything in his post. I don't think you can tell me what my opinion is on something.

Also, I am an SDSU student that watches and follows and mostly cheers for SDSU athletics.

As for what you think of my intelligence, I could not care less.

FargoBison
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Nobody had a gun to Wagner's head, they could have demanded a home and home but they took the money and their program will be better for it.

NDSU's scheduling philosphy is completely different than SDSU's but when a school makes $300-400,000 per home game it gives an AD some new options. There will probably be at least one Wagner every year on NDSU's schedule. It isn't about buying wins it is about having home games and keeping the donor base happy that is already paying hefty season ticket prices.

About the only good thing is that NDSU isn't quite Montana, we'll actually play FBS games without needing a king's ransom. UND will also be on our schedule every year again, it's only a matter of time before the two will have to play.

jackmd
04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
As for what you think of my intelligence, I could not care less.

Good for you, maybe.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. Some people don't like that. NDSU fans can explain it however they like. The fact is that they have the money to buy a win if they want and that is what the Wagner game is.

Many FBS teams don't pay as much as NDSU is for this "win". I'm not saying they are wrong for doing it I'm just saying they are doing it.

RabbitObsessed
04-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Good for you, maybe.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. Some people don't like that. NDSU fans can explain it however they like. The fact is that they have the money to buy a win if they want and that is what the Wagner game is.

Many FBS teams don't pay as much as NDSU is for this "win". I'm not saying they are wrong for doing it I'm just saying they are doing it.

Fair enough.

NoVaJack
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Sometimes these can be trap games. But "buying the win" is certainly what this looks like. Last year they lost to a team in their conference that NDSU pummeled.

Hammersmith
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
It's not so much buying a win as buying a home game and no one else bit. It's not like Wagner was our first choice. With the conference slate we've got, I've got no problems with NDSU scheduling one tough, one medium and one easy for our three OOC games. The tough game will almost always be filled with an FBS(Iowa State this year), and the medium(SHSU) and easy(Wag) will be filled with FCS. The fact that there will probably be only two home/home slots between now and 2019 means we have to pay through the nose to bring teams to Fargo.

Here's what Gene Taylor is facing going forward:
1. Six home games every season.
2. One regional FBS every season.

These two requirements mean that both remaining OCC games(after the FBS) must be home games during an 11-game season. Only during the 12-games seasons(2013, 2014, 2019) can NDSU easily schedule the away leg of an FCS home/home. And none of that includes UND, which will throw a major spanner in the works when it happens.

NDSU's best hope for easier scheduling would be a regular 12-game season. That would allow NDSU to bring in additional quality teams by offering semi-regular home/home's. Until that happens, we will have to continue to buy our home games. It's not a perfect situation, but it's not a perfect world, either.

jackmd
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
It's not so much buying a win as buying a home game and no one else bit. It's not like Wagner was our first choice. With the conference slate we've got, I've got no problems with NDSU scheduling one tough, one medium and one easy for our three OOC games. The tough game will almost always be filled with an FBS(Iowa State this year), and the medium(SHSU) and easy(Wag) will be filled with FCS. The fact that there will probably be only two home/home slots between now and 2019 means we have to pay through the nose to bring teams to Fargo.

These two requirements mean that both remaining OCC games(after the FBS) must be home games during an 11-game season. Only during the 12-games seasons(2013, 2014, 2019) can NDSU easily schedule the away leg of an FCS home/home. And none of that includes UND, which will throw a major spanner in the works when it happens.

NDSU's best hope for easier scheduling would be a regular 12-game season. That would allow NDSU to bring in additional quality teams by offering semi-regular home/home's. Until that happens, we will have to continue to buy our home games. It's not a perfect situation, but it's not a perfect world, either.

Seems plausible and perhaps NDSU was looking for a tougher game and couldn't get it, I don't know that for sure. Would Coach Stig like a game like Wagner at home if we could get it? I think he probably would support that. Every time he speaks about last year he mentions the fact that with one less loss we would have been in and he follows that with the fact that the losses were against highly ranked teams and a FBS program.

I understand why NDSU did it I'm just wanted to make it clear to those who might not understand the logistics.

Hammersmith
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Seems plausible and perhaps NDSU was looking for a tougher game and couldn't get it, I don't know that for sure. Would Coach Stig like a game like Wagner at home if we could get it? I think he probably would support that. Every time he speaks about last year he mentions the fact that with one less loss we would have been in and he follows that with the fact that the losses were against highly ranked teams and a FBS program.

I understand why NDSU did it I'm just wanted to make it clear to those who might not understand the logistics.

NDSU is in a situation I like to call musical scheduling; it's like musical chairs, except not nearly so fun. When we go looking for an FCS game, we are at the bottom of other schools' lists. Why would they want to come to Fargo for a single-game contract? Even during our down years we will still be a very tough team. We're difficult and expensive to travel to and there's no recruiting advantage to playing a game here. Any opposing team can also expect to face a hostile crowd of 15,000-19,000. Other than the money, there's no good reason for them to accept our offer.

That creates a situation where NDSU must wait until the schools we're wooing have exhausted all their other possibilities and gotten to the bottom of their lists. We get stuck with the school that couldn't find anyone they liked more. Raising the amount we pay helps somewhat, but a lot of schools will gladly pass up an extra $25k or so for an easier trip and a better chance of a win. Not to mention the possibility of a return game that NDSU can't provide.

Montana solves a similar problem by rarely scheduling FBS programs and often scheduling non-DI schools. We haven't reached that point, but it's tough. I'm always amazed at people who think all scheduling is is choosing the school you want to play and picking up the phone. Those people never seem to grasp that scheduling is a two-way street and you can only schedule someone who wants to schedule you. Sure that supermodel is hot, but do you actually think she's going to take your call?

rabidrabbit
04-25-2009, 10:06 AM

The 6 home games EVERY year is a killer to working out agreeable home/home arrangements. NDSU is heading down a path that Montana has taken, and now Montana can't get a quality opponent (other than the desperate GWFC) teams to take. The Bison would do better to guarantee to have 5 home games (heck, 4 are MVFC) and to have either a FBS game or a 6th home game. 12 game season is not happening, and with the play-off expansion, even losing the bye week option. Time for NDSU to bring their expectations back in line with what they can work out.

For all 4 Dakota schools - why are we not successing in getting games with the OVC schools?