Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD's Sports Mount Rushmore

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...#pluckcomments

Stu wrote an article questioning South Dakota's picks for it's sports Mount Rushmore. Can't say as if I disagree with his choices: Billy Mills, Adam Vintieri, Mike Miller, and Casey Tibbs.

I also can't believe South Dakotans choose Brock Lesner as one of the top four.

Re: SD's Sports Mount Rushmore

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...#pluckcomments

Stu wrote an article questioning South Dakota's picks for it's sports Mount Rushmore. Can't say as if I disagree with his choices: Billy Mills, Adam Vintieri, Mike Miller, and Casey Tibbs.

I also can't believe South Dakotans choose Brock Lesner as one of the top four.
    Lesnar surprised me as well, and I'm not a huge fan of Miller being on there. I think they could have gone to a local talent back in the day such as Eric Kline.

Comment

I know old-timers who think this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garney_Henley was the best S.D. athlete they ever saw, at least all-around athlete.

Interesting, I thought this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Retzlaff would also have qualified, but turns out he was born in North Dakota. Seems the Jackrabbits stole him from the Bison and the school with the mascot that shall not be named.

Comment

Actually, part of the qualification weren't that the athlete had to be born there just that they had something to do with the state. So, Pedro Guerrero could have been included in SD since he played for the Sioux Falls Canaries for a few years. Apparently people forgot about Jim Langer, or Karl Mecklenberg? Heck, even Thomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres could have been on the SD monument for his time with the Sioux Falls Stampede
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

I would have gone with Josh Ranek over Miller. However, that is just a personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
            Actually, part of the qualification weren't that the athlete had to be born there just that they had something to do with the state. So, Pedro Guerrero could have been included in SD since he played for the Sioux Falls Canaries for a few years. Apparently people forgot about Jim Langer, or Karl Mecklenberg? Heck, even Thomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres could have been on the SD monument for his time with the Sioux Falls Stampede

If that's the case, Frank Howard? Legend is he hit one of the longest homeruns ever in professional baseball in Chamberlain, I believe during the old Basin League

Comment

Josh Ranek and Eric Kline over Miller? Are you kidding, what justification with one of them over Miller, the answer would be none.

Some other realistic choices:
              Dave Gassman--baseball legend
              Josh Heupel--2nd in Heisman and National Champ QB
              Derek Miles--USA's top Pole Vaulter
              Randy Lewis--Gold Medal
              Kirk Wallman--Never lost a HS Match, 6-time state champ

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                If that's the case, Frank Howard? Legend is he hit one of the longest homeruns ever in professional baseball in Chamberlain, I believe during the old Basin League
                many good baseball players spent there summers in the Basin league. here is some info on the league which at one point was the best minor league out there. http://www.usfamily.net/web/trombleyd/BasinHistory.htm

Frank Howard played for rapid city and bob gibson played two summers for the chamberlain chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                  Josh Ranek and Eric Kline over Miller?

Forgive me for having an opinion that doesn't conform to what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                    Josh Ranek and Eric Kline over Miller? Are you kidding, what justification with one of them over Miller, the answer would be none.

Some other realistic choices:
                    Dave Gassman--baseball legend
                    Josh Heupel--2nd in Heisman and National Champ QB
                    Derek Miles--USA's top Pole Vaulter
                    Randy Lewis--Gold Medal
                    Kirk Wallman--Never lost a HS Match, 6-time state champ
                    Eric Kline played in a whole different era, you honestly don't think if he would have been playing in today's era he would have been heavily recruited? Kline also made the decision to stay in Aberdeen and attend Northern. Kline is the all time leading scorer, points in a season, FG made in a season, 3-pt made in a season and points/game in a season at Northern. Pretty good justification there.

Comment

I think you guys are forgetting Josh Mueller and Louie Krogman. Easily the two best basketball players ever in SD.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
                        many good baseball players spent there summers in the Basin league. here is some info on the league which at one point was the best minor league out there. http://www.usfamily.net/web/trombleyd/BasinHistory.htm

Frank Howard played for rapid city and bob gibson played two summers for the chamberlain chiefs
                        That website is cool. I remember playing Legion baseball in Winner and talking about how Jim Palmer had pitched in that ballpark. Kind of cool knowing a Hall of Famer played on the same field you were playing on.

Does anyone know if the Chamberlain team played on the same field they have now?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                          I think you guys are forgetting Josh Mueller and Louie Krogman. Easily the two best basketball players ever in SD.
                          LOL silly yote fans

Comment

I think Mueller and Krogman should make anyone's list of top athletes but in my view, not the "Mt. Rushmore" top athletes. Mueller was one of those guys who you hated to have against you but wouldn't mind having on your team -- not unlike former Watertown and U of Missouri standout Jason Sutherland.

It seems everyone's favorites are determined, at least in part, by their knowledge of or having lived in a certain era and their familiarity with a particular sport. I don't know much about rodeo but continually hear about Casey Tibbs -- I guess he was one of the best ever. SDSU's cross country and track coach Rod DeHaven would make a lot of short lists.

Anyone consider Frank Leahy? Leahy played under Rockne at Notre Dame and then coached the Fighting Irish to some national titles. He was born in O'Neill, NE but grew up in Winner SD. There's no statue of Rockne outside Notre Dame's stadium but there is one of SD's Frank Leahy.

Comment

Who? Just don't recall either of them. Next!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X