No announcement yet.

102-90? A Boys AA Game in South Dakota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 102-90? A Boys AA Game in South Dakota?

WTF? What happened to those thrilling and exciting 33-28 shootouts?

Argus article.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: 102-90? A Boys AA Game in South Dakota?

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    WTF? What happened to those thrilling and exciting 33-28 shootouts?

Argus article.
    It was like watching Tark's Runnin' Rebels of UNLV. There was a shot going up about every 10 seconds.
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I couldn't believe that when I saw the score. I figured it must have went about 5 overtimes to get to that point. Was there a big Dwight Stewart shooting the big man threes like the UNLV teams? Those teams were fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbballfan View Post
        I couldn't believe that when I saw the score. I figured it must have went about 5 overtimes to get to that point. Was there a big Dwight Stewart shooting the big man threes like the UNLV teams? Those teams were fun to watch.
        It was our future Jack, Brayden Carlson leading the charge. 34 points on the night for Brayden and 146 in his last 5 games. Hard telling how many points he might have had if he would have stayed out of foul trouble early in the year.

Comment

bobcats 67% shooting,wow!!

Comment

Some one on this board made a reference to Brayden Carlsen being a grand nephew of the legendary Don Jacobsen. I am sure those of us who have Hamlin County connects can probably establish that. The way Brayden is finding the bucket, I tend to believe this is indeed true that he is a relative of Don Jacobsen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Some one on this board made a reference to Brayden Carlsen being a grand nephew of the legendary Don Jacobsen. I am sure those of us who have Hamlin County connects can probably establish that. The way Brayden is finding the bucket, I tend to believe this is indeed true that he is a relative of Don Jacobsen.
              Brayden (I believe) is the son of Gary, who in my opinion is in the top 5 for all-time basketball players that played at Hamlin (behind Mark Tetzlaff, Steve and John Brown, Mick Hoglund).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Brayden (I believe) is the son of Gary, who in my opinion is in the top 5 for all-time basketball players that played at Hamlin (behind Mark Tetzlaff, Steve and John Brown, Mick Hoglund).
                I think Gary was a better high school player than Mick. Mick really came into his game in college. Otherwise I agree. Sorry to say that I'm not sure about the connection to Don but I'll check into it.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I think Gary was a better high school player than Mick. Mick really came into his game in college. Otherwise I agree. Sorry to say that I'm not sure about the connection to Don but I'll check into it.
                  My memory is failing as I get older but I thought I knew all the old Hamlin stars till the name Gary Carlson came up. When did he play? By the way, you are correct Hoglund was a very good player in HS but it was in college he made his name. And baseball? Holy crap, SDSU missed out on one of the best hitters this state has ever produced.

Back to the actual topic, the old AA was boring but with the advent of the shot clock and these type of scores I begin to wonder if these kids are being taught to play defense? For a HS team to hit that kind of FG percentage makes me think there were a lot of easy baskets given up.

Comment

That score was the result of a new strategy adpoted by Pierre a couple of weeks ago. Their former half court set offense was getting them no where (1 win for the season) so Coach Becker a couple of weeks ago went to a platoon system, sending in 5 new players at a time and using the entire bench throughout. Constant full court press and run and gun. Makes for alot of points, but it is fun to watch and is resulting in a lot higher scoring games.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      My memory is failing as I get older but I thought I knew all the old Hamlin stars till the name Gary Carlson came up. When did he play? By the way, you are correct Hoglund was a very good player in HS but it was in college he made his name. And baseball? Holy crap, SDSU missed out on one of the best hitters this state has ever produced.

Back to the actual topic, the old AA was boring but with the advent of the shot clock and these type of scores I begin to wonder if these kids are being taught to play defense? For a HS team to hit that kind of FG percentage makes me think there were a lot of easy baskets given up.
                      Gary was 1st team All-State in 1984. He went on to play at Southwest Minnesota State and had a decent career.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You are the first person in the last 20 years to worry about defense being taught at the AA level.

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
                          You are the first person in the last 20 years to worry about defense being taught at the AA level.
                          I know, and those years of 25-20 games were terrible but more and more I see HS kids forgetting that they need to play defense. I'm not sure if it coaching or ESPN Sports Center but I have watched some pretty ugly HS games in the past 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
                            I agree defense is a lost art. But, after watching Lincoln play this year you can see that their coach really works on defense. They kicked the crap out of Yankton down here this winter, but it was enjoyable to watch a team that really understands defense. They cut out the passing lanes, stole the ball and tipped passes all night long. Other than them, I haven't seen anyone else really concentrate on defense that I have seen.

Comment

Responding to this quote and another post about Coach Becker of Pierre and platooning. I remember when Jim Thorson was head coach and Jeff Booher was on the team, he tried pressure defense that seem to work somewhat, but your guys get very tired even if you platoon. I was not at the Brookings-Pierre game, but I can not deny that there were not easy shots. The score seems to support that thought. When you got guys that ordinarliy for a number of reasons would get very little playing time, are out there as part of a platoon trying to stop some good shooter like Carlson, a lot of defensive tactics never kick in. That my opinion.

I think thats why you don't see too much of this full court or pressure defense. No phyical stamia condition will get your entire team to last 20 minute let alone 40. If you can get a big lead and hold it, it probably does work, but if the opponent keeps hanging around, then things can go south on defense. I tend to think this is what happen in this particular game.

Comment

Working...
                              X