Legislating a Bison-Sioux rivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legislating a Bison-Sioux rivalry

Put this in smack section because it seems that the cold has literally gone to the heads of some North Dakota legislators.
    Seems that some North Dakota solons want to put it into law that the Bison and Sioux meet on the gridiron annually.
    Recession? What recession?
    Talk about your government mandates.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...t/JBSV0100.pdf

One ex-sponsor has already felt the heat:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article...16/group/home/

Re: Legislating a Bison-Sioux rivalry

You should never trust any bill presented by someone named Weezie
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Put this in smack section because it seems that the cold has literally gone to the heads of some North Dakota legislators.
      Seems that some North Dakota solons want to put it into law that the Bison and Sioux meet on the gridiron annually.
      Recession? What recession?
      Talk about your government mandates.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...t/JBSV0100.pdf

One ex-sponsor has already felt the heat:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article...16/group/home/
      More discussion can be found HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
        More discussion can be found HERE
        Thanks, missed earlier thread. Apparently at least one sponsor got such blowback from NDSU constituents he decided that if he will testify on the bill he will be against it. Real profile in courage there.

Comment

Do not be surprised if you see a similar bill introduced in Pierre next week. I am hoping that the reaction they got in North Dakota might make the ones that were going to bring it to the House rethink things.

Comment

I could understand basketball because it wouldn't be that hard for the schools to figure something out, but football is ALOT tougher to work things out....

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
              Do not be surprised if you see a similar bill introduced in Pierre next week. I am hoping that the reaction they got in North Dakota might make the ones that were going to bring it to the House rethink things.
              This might make some small amount of sense if state money was allowed to go to the athletic programs in SD--which it is not, today, at least for SDSU, that was one of the conditions that the BOR put on the move to D-I.

If I was SDSU, I'd say "well, fine, you go ahead and legislate a requirement for USD and SDSU to play, but you also lift the restrictions on state money going to support the athletic programs--fair is fair. If you want to decide what our athletic schedules are, you should be helping to pay for it."

In today's economy, this will of course go exactly nowhere, but might serve the constructive purpose of drawing legislators' attention to the current lack of funding of the intercollegiate athletics program from state funding.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I just think that football would be nearly impossible because both schools will have D-I FBS games.. plus conference games add in the previous contracted games and its 5-7 years down the line before you could even make it a possibility.... by then I think that there is a good chance that they'll be playing each other anyways....

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  This might make some small amount of sense if state money was allowed to go to the athletic programs in SD--which it is not, today, at least for SDSU, that was one of the conditions that the BOR put on the move to D-I.

If I was SDSU, I'd say "well, fine, you go ahead and legislate a requirement for USD and SDSU to play, but you also lift the restrictions on state money going to support the athletic programs--fair is fair. If you want to decide what our athletic schedules are, you should be helping to pay for it."

In today's economy, this will of course go exactly nowhere, but might serve the constructive purpose of drawing legislators' attention to the current lack of funding of the intercollegiate athletics program from state funding.
                  If our pro SDSU salons are smart, they will attach amendments begging for money for athletes. Then watch the bill be flushed down the river to Kansas City No offense Filbert.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    If our pro SDSU salons are smart, they will attach amendments begging for money for athletes. Then watch the bill be flushed down the river to Kansas City No offense Filbert.

What's the old saying, "you can't legislate morality?"
                    Add to it, "you can't legislate more rivalry."

I personally think Jacks should play Coyotes every year in every available sport; UND, too. If for no other reason than to build a kind of multiplier on regional D-1 interest. I do think there is something to be said for that, no matter what you think that the way the Yotes and (insert offensive mascot here) have gone about their transitions. But the state should have nothing to do with setting up FB schedules for rivalry purposes.
                    Could you not then see legislators representing Madison and all the other smaller state schools demanding a "big" payday game from the D-1 Schools? They ARE state schools, after all.

Comment

What's the old saying, "you can't legislate morality?"
                      Add to it, "you can't legislate more rivalry."

I personally think Jacks should play Coyotes every year in every available sport; UND, too. If for no other reason than to build a kind of multiplier on regional D-1 interest. I do think there is something to be said for that, no matter what you think that the way the Yotes and (insert offensive mascot here) have gone about their transitions. But the state should have nothing to do with setting up FB schedules for rivalry purposes.
                      Could you not then see legislators representing Madison and all the other smaller state schools demanding a "big" payday game from the D-1 Schools? They ARE state schools, after all.
                      One of our fellow alums, Gov Mike Rounds has been in the TV news clips a great deal and SD like Va is hurting financially. SD more so since taxation is heavily depended on Sales tax and lottery transactions. Both are way down, and the financial picture for SD is kind of bleak right now. For a legislator to ask for money for athletics, would in the present be much like the banks on Wall street who got TARP money, paying themself a bonus. There is no doubt in my mind that the four Dakota's will be scheduling each other every year once the transition period is passed, and for that reason, the bill is not needed period.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        SD more so since taxation is heavily depended on Sales tax and lottery transactions. Both are way down.
                        SD Lottery is not down.

http://www.lotteryinsider.com/lottery/sdakota.htm

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Thanks, for pointing this out. Rounds was so pessitimestic in his remarks, and not very specific and very general at least from the news clips, its hard to tell what in the world he is even talking about. At any rate, money for athletics from state coffers would not be very popular at this time and it would kill the bill. I stand by that point.

Comment

Why do you need money to schedule in-state rivalries? They'd ostensibly be revenue generators.

Comment

Why do you need money to schedule in-state rivalries? They'd ostensibly be revenue generators.
                              What I am saying, and I know you agree since you said basically the same thing. Three to four years from now USD and UND will be at the end of transition, and I am sure we will see all three on our schedule. By three I mean USD, UND and of course NDSU. This will happen so there is no reason for the legislative bill period. I think our legislature needs to worry about the budget and not whether USD plays SDSU. Same could be said for North Dakota legislature. Oh yes, revenue will result from these games enough to pay some bills in the athletic department.

Yes these games will not bankrupt the Athletic Dept, but the opposite will happen. So I have no problem about resuming rivalries, it has to happen when its workable for all parties involved.

I was suggesting that adding amendments that called for a state tax revenue subsidy to athletics would most certainly kill the bill. That is if someone is stupid enough to introduce a bill that forces SDSU and USD to play each other. Watch out for Frank Klocheck from Scotland and a SDSU grad, he does stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X