Summit Blue Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Blue Sky

Just thought I'd start a thread specifically for Summit League blue sky speculation. Because it's fun, and the odds are no one will know you're wrong for at least three years!

-------
    UNO & DU are on the Sun Belt watch list (they have until 2012 to meet a mandated minimum number of sports), and while the DU Clarion says that DU is most interested in the Valley, the MWC, the WAC, the Big Sky, and the WCC, I don't consider any of them to be likely. The WCC has already been discussed (in the USD visit thread), so let's look at the others

The Valley: Almost without a doubt, out of the question. The Valley is a geographically compact bus league. No way they'll invite a school with a basketball program that loses to SDSU at home.

MWC, WAC: Both conferences sponsor FBS football. They are unlikely to admit any school that does not. Any school that doesn't sponsor FBS football would be likely be viewed as a leech.

Big Sky: Possible, but extremely unlikely, IMO. Again because of football. Also because of the Big Sky's mandate that schools participate in all of its sanctioned sports (a requirement even more stringent than the Sun Belt's).

-----

Another one:

University of New Orleans

Still very much recovering from Katrina. They inked a pretty good class of recruits for MBB a year ago, and their athletic budget, pre Katrina, was inline with SDSU & NDSU (and, thus, presumably, the rest of the Summit). However, it's an open question, IMO, if they can recover their enrollment enough to sponsor the minimum number of sports required to participate in D-1.

-----

Louisiana Tech (since Hammersmith brought them up).

Could be adopted by the Sun Belt in place of UNO: La Tech is an FBS school. I don't think the WAC would let them compete as a football only member, and thus, they go to the Sun Belt. La Tech's WBB team was in the first 25 NCAA tournaments ('82-2006)

-----

General Summit reflections....

Currently the Summit is looked down on as a 'low' mid major, and one with an exceedingly young (at D-1) and geographically scattered base of institutions. However, it's not exactly headed down hill.

- SDSU WBB looks to be a top shelf program for the foreseeable future
    - Oral Roberts baseball is legit as well
    - The Summit is (surprisingly) a pretty solid conference for men's soccer (which DU sponsors, by the way).
    - MBB is definitely improving across the board.
    - WBB may turn into a marquee sport for this conference, provided Oakland and UMKC continue to improve and NDSU gets its house in order.

Areas where the Summit could improve include track and field and VB, IMO.

-----

Considerations on a 14 school Summit (picking up the two Sun Belt 'outcasts'):

Travel Pairings:
    Denver/SUU
    UMKC/ORU
    Centenary/UNO
    IPFW/Oakland
    IUPUI/WIU
    UND/NDSU
    USD/SDSU

The problem, obviously, is you need a two division structure, and with that, you have to break up one of the travel pairings.

Then you have to break up the divisions so that the East conference has a pair of "Yikes that's a long ways away" schools to match DU & SUU.

Possible E/W alignment:

E: Oakland/IPFW, IUPUI/WIU, Centenary/UNO, UMKC
    W: NDSU/UND, SDSU/USD, SUU/Denver, ORU

You'd then schedule a 19 game conference schedule with home and homes and one rotating home/away in the other conference. Likely you and your travel partner would pair up with travel partners in the other division and rotate home/away trips. Yeah. It creates an unbalanced home/away schedule, but you can make up for that with your non-conf schedule.

Best part is that the 'sprawling Summit' would turn into two very tidy 4-team units (IUPUI, IPFW, WIU, Oakland and NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD) with two fairly close pairs of outliers (DU/SUU, UNO/Centenary), and two oddballs (UMKC & ORU) that are fairly close to each other.
    Last edited by zooropa; 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM.

Re: Summit Blue Sky

What I think the Summit will look like in 2012:

Centenary
    IUPUI
    IPFW
    Oakland
    ORU
    NDSU
    SDSU
    SUU
    UMKC
    WIU

I'm probably wrong, but I just don't see anything changing. I think the Summit presidents will talk about expansion in March, but they will decide the time isn't right and there won't be any voting regarding USD. That will be repeated through 2012 and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
      I think the Summit presidents will talk about expansion in March, but they will decide the time isn't right
      I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one.

While I think UNO & DU would be (long term) great 'gets' for the Summit, some things would have to shake out in just the right fashion for that to work out (the Summit would have to retain both Centenary & SUU for DU & UNO to make any sense).

Now, here's another wrinkle: UNC in the Big Sky------do you see UNC trying to get into a less competitive conference, and do you think the Summit would consider them for membership?

I'd like to think that the situation at UNC is such that the Summit would be smart enough to avoid them.

Also, what about Houston Baptist? If we assume they were passed over this time around, would they get a sniff later on?

Comment

BTW, Hammersmith, have you seen this article?

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...15/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one.

While I think UNO & DU would be (long term) great 'gets' for the Summit, some things would have to shake out in just the right fashion for that to work out (the Summit would have to retain both Centenary & SUU for DU & UNO to make any sense).

Now, here's another wrinkle: UNC in the Big Sky------do you see UNC trying to get into a less competitive conference, and do you think the Summit would consider them for membership?

I'd like to think that the situation at UNC is such that the Summit would be smart enough to avoid them.

Also, what about Houston Baptist? If we assume they were passed over this time around, would they get a sniff later on?
          Denver is direct flight from anywhere, they would make a better pair with ORU or UMKC than they would with the hard to get to SUU. IMO if there was no core member requirement the league would be better off without SUU.

As for UNC, there isn't much of difference between the Summit and the Big Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Denver is direct flight from anywhere, they would make a better pair with ORU or UMKC than they would with the hard to get to SUU.
            SUU's only a three hour bus trip from Vegas.

Pairing DU with SUU would at least eliminate the two time zone jump from Vegas to KC.

Comment

In 2012 I think the league will look like this...

East
              WIU-IUPUI
              Oakland-IPFW
              ORU-Centenary

West
              UMKC-SUU
              NDSU-UND
              SDSU-USD

USD got the visit and now they are a lock. I know some say visit doesn't exactly mean invite but I think USD is as good as in. UND won't be far behind, they probably get an invite once the nickname is resolved during the course of the next year. I think the Summit likes the XDSU's and wants to build a core around them, plus there isn't a school out there that has the profile of the UXD's. May as well scoop them up.

Comment

SUU's only a three hour bus trip from Vegas.

Pairing DU with SUU would at least eliminate the two time zone jump from Vegas to KC.
                I think you misunderstood what I said, and that was SUU could leave and UMKC would make a perfect partner for Denver. IMO SUU doesn't have to be in the league for Denver to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  I think you misunderstood what I said, and that was SUU could leave and UMKC would make a perfect partner for Denver. IMO SUU doesn't have to be in the league for Denver to make sense.
                  Ahhh. I see.

Comment

Yeah, DU has the Denver airport which has flights to most cities or near cities in the Summit League... Thats why they make sense.... also they are an established D-I... not in transition or recently out of transition....

UNO maybe.... again a big city so easy travel, but they are still not great after Hurricane Katrina....

same again with Chicago State nice airport, but they aren't what they should be as a college...

But then again, atleast from what I have seen the conference is prepared to keep the conference tournament in Sioux Falls... (they have already tripled previous ticket sales and single tickets haven't even gone on sale yet)... and USD and UND could make it an almost impossible ticket to get a hold of....

The view I have though is if we are going to bring in a school that isn't a full member yet we should bring in a full member with them, kinda like when they brought IPFW with SDSU and NDSU...

UNC- I think is interesting, I wrote previously about there situation, they aren't getting the best funding from the state, there athletic programs have struggled causing problems with donations, they can't get into the media market in Colorado due to Denver and CC hockey, AF, CU, CSU- football and basketball...... It wouldn't surprise me if they leave the Big Sky... Summit would make most sense for them.... It wouldn't surprise me if they at least think about dropping football...

My view is USD would be a good addition, but I also think that you need to bring in an established D-I school at the same time....

Comment

Bear in mind DU went D-1 in all sports in 1999 so while established as far as "counter" status, they're not exactly established in any other sense.

As far as UNC goes, seeing that it's a public institution, I'd consider it far more likely that they drop back down to D-2 and join the RMAC than seeing them drop a sport like football to stay D-1.

Funding concerns would likely raise red flags for the Summit.

If anything happens with DU, I'd guess it would be closer to the 2012 deadline that the Sun Belt has given them.

Comment

Bear in mind DU went D-1 in all sports in 1999 so while established as far as "counter" status, they're not exactly established in any other sense.

As far as UNC goes, seeing that it's a public institution, I'd consider it far more likely that they drop back down to D-2 and join the RMAC than seeing them drop a sport like football to stay D-1.

Funding concerns would likely raise red flags for the Summit.

If anything happens with DU, I'd guess it would be closer to the 2012 deadline that the Sun Belt has given them.
                        counter is what I meant.... thanx for the clarification, I had forgot what they are called... You are probably right on them going D-2 and joining the R-MAC

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          counter is what I meant.... thanx for the clarification, I had forgot what they are called... You are probably right on them going D-2 and joining the R-MAC
                          Crazy thing about UNC going RMAC is that they went D1 before NDSU & SDSU.....

Part of me wants to download a table of D1 schools and conference affiliations and plot them to a map, just for fun (I don't like programming unless I get to make pretty pictures with the code).

Travel seems like it's always going to be a problem for the Summit, and it seems, that membership stability might be another. The farther down the conference pecking order you go, the more fluid the membership becomes.

I mean, a classic example was the Big East raiding C-USA for 5 schools, with C-USA subsequently raiding the WAC and MAC.

And now both of those conferences are all higgly piggly--with the Big East having four different kinds of football programs (none, ind., FCS, FBS) and C-USA having a geographic and institutional make up that makes the Summit look like a paragon of consistency. Heck, the funniest headline I read on the C-USA website a year after the shakeup was along the lines of "People said it wouldn't work, but it did!"
                          Last edited by zooropa; 01-23-2009, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Couple notes on Chicago State-----

It's been rumored that CSU left the Mid-con before being kicked out.

One of the big surprises I discovered while digging into that story was they hired disgraced Minnesota BBall coach Cheryl Littlejohn--and that shortly after a required report from the NCAA regarding her conduct they terminated her (in 2003).

As of this year, they fired a coach who had lied so extensively in his resume as to make George O'Leary look like George Washington:
                            http://thecollegebaseballblog.com/20...ies-on-resume/

One wonders just how messed up CSU really is.

Comment

Working...
                            X