Help From Above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help From Above

Is it just me or does anyone else feel it's an interesting experience to watch professional athletes - after catching a football, throwing a touchdown pass, kicking an extra point - then point to the sky as if God was involved with the deal? As a kid, I'd watch baseball players making the sign of the cross (a Catholic deal) while in the batter's box. I'm not sure I understand this.

It seems to me, that they are saying God helped them. That must mean God is against the other team.

I watched the Arizona/Eagles game today and watched guys on both sides praying and pointing to the sky. I really don't think God cares one way or the other about the outcome of an athletic event. I think he has more important things in front of him.

Re: Help From Above

Or, the non-cynic would take the athletes at their word when they say they are thanking the Lord for the blessings they have received and to let others know that they believe there is something more important to them than whatever sport you happen to be watching.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standingin the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. [6] But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen."

This passage from Matthew 6:15. Evidently Matthew was a cynic, too.

Comment

believe as you like, I am sure you can also find a few passages about spreading the word with joyous voice, gleeful song, etc.

Or should that be et al.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          believe as you like, I am sure you can also find a few passages about spreading the word with joyous voice, gleeful song, etc.

Or should that be et al.

Or maybe inter alia?*

For what it's worth, I think that such behavior is a little presumptuous. "I just scored that touchdown because God willed it so. Gee thanks, God!" This is the same as "And the home of the [insert team name here]," as far as I'm concerned.

*among others

Comment

Working...
          X