USD Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Attendance

I was browsing usdcoyotes.com this morning. I happened to notice they only drew 950 fans to their game against Mount Marty last night. I assumed this would be one of the bigger draws of the year for them. This got my attention so I looked through their past games and noticed they are REALLY hurting on attendance numbers this year.

The USD men are averaging 1,073. They have been under 1,000 for 4 of their last 5 games. 922, 942, 1057 and 950. The remaining homes games are UND, Lake Erie College, SIU-Edwardville and Seattle Union.

The USD women are averaging 810. They've actualy been over 1,000 the last two games (1,031 and 1,012).

It looks like they have three double headers remaining (UND, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Seattle University). So attendance #'s should rise a bit.

I looked back at our #'s. Our last year of d2 we averaged 3,266 (2003-04). Our first year of DI we averaged 1,617 (2004-05).

Re: USD Attendance

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
    I was browsing usdcoyotes.com this morning. I happened to notice they only drew 950 fans to their game against Mount Marty last night. I assumed this would be one of the bigger draws of the year for them. This got my attention so I looked through their past games and noticed they are REALLY hurting on attendance numbers this year.

The USD men are averaging 1,073. They have been under 1,000 for 4 of their last 5 games. 922, 942, 1057 and 950. The remaining homes games are UND, Lake Erie College, SIU-Edwardville and Seattle Union.

The USD women are averaging 810. They've actualy been over 1,000 the last two games (1,031 and 1,012).

It looks like they have three double headers remaining (UND, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and Seattle University). So attendance #'s should rise a bit.

I looked back at our #'s. Our last year of d2 we averaged 3,266 (2003-04). Our first year of DI we averaged 1,617 (2004-05).
    Interesting when you factor in comp tickets...for parents, recruts, etc.
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Or maybe they started using accurate attendance numbers. If they aren't, I'd hate to find out how many people are actually there. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post

I get the Yankton paper each day and I've noticed that this year they don't list attendance figures for men's or women's BB at USD. The SDSU articles and box scores list attendance but the numbers are conveniently absent from the USD articles. I wonder why they aren't reporting attendance in the local newspaper?
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have watched a few games online this year and can tell you based on what I have seen through the video I would venture to guess that what is reported as 6 or 7 hundred or even a thousand is actually closer to 400. Not fact, just an observation from what I can see online.

There have been almost no desirable games on the schedule and combining that with the economy, the small town of Vermillion and the iffy weather lately I don't think USD is drawing very well from outside the general city limit area of Vermillion.

In football USD has already had two schools back out of their committments to play in Vermillion that were scheduled to play in 2009. Commitments where USD already played the road game and may not be getting the return game as agreed. I think the NCAA should heavily penalize schools that do that kind of thing. I can't blame fans for not wanting to show up to watch NAIA's or lower D2 games. The cost of coming and travel in some instances may just not be worth the product when the game is expected to be a lopsided win.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
            There have been almost no desirable games on the schedule and combining that with the economy, the small town of Vermillion and the iffy weather lately I don't think USD is drawing very well from outside the general city limit area of Vermillion.
            I think you nailed the attendance issue. Games of little interest and the weather. I think the weather has been a real pita this season for many events.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
              I have watched a few games online this year and can tell you based on what I have seen through the video I would venture to guess that what is reported as 6 or 7 hundred or even a thousand is actually closer to 400. Not fact, just an observation from what I can see online.

In football USD has already had two schools back out of their committments to play in Vermillion that were scheduled to play in 2009. Commitments where USD already played the road game and may not be getting the return game as agreed. I think the NCAA should heavily penalize schools that do that kind of thing. I can't blame fans for not wanting to show up to watch NAIA's or lower D2 games. The cost of coming and travel in some instances may just not be worth the product when the game is expected to be a lopsided win.
              I hope admin at USD remembers the institutions that backed out on their commitment and vows not to associate with them in the future. Big Sky schools are on the **** list at SDSU after Idaho State and Montana backed out of games.

Transition sucks big time and the economic slow down is going to make it even less pleasant. I think your guess on attendance numbers is accurate. I've spoken with one of the parents who attends regularly and she has been surprised by how few people are at the games.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Doesn't take much to fill a high school gym. Just trying to put a positive spin on it...
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                X