Look-a-like threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look-a-like threads

Interesting discussion under the women's basketball section, prompted by a post about one of the IUPUI players. Some pointed out that we have had look-a-like threads in the football section. There has been debate about whether to criticize one and not the other is a double standard. There have been some sincere posts pointing out that the football look-a-like threads are inappropriate too.

Well, fellow posters, I'm guilty of contributing (and starting) some of the football look-a-like threads. They are quite common on many mesage boards. I thought they could be clever and hilarious and the clever ones were not necessarily derrogatory. Often a poster would show the similarity of an opposing team player to, for example, a well-liked actor or other famous person. Sure, there were many connections to "Lurch" or other characters on the Munsters etc.

I do not believe our few football look-a-like threads were very tough on anybody but at the same time, I think about another poster's reminder that we are talking about 18-22 year olds who are somebody's son or daughter.

I propose a poll on the subject. Perhaps the look-a-like threads will fade away.
    Yes -- no limits
    31.11%
    No.
    33.33%
    Yes -- but nothing deemed 'mean'
    35.56%

The poll is expired.

Re: Look-a-like threads

I dont think these threads are helpful, and yes nearly every fan board seems to have them.
    Maybe the old tired cliche, of "if someone jumps of the cliff does it mean you have to follow?" applies. Except for our folks to the South this board has received some compliments for having class. I for one will not miss the look alike threads. The board should be for good exchange of honest opinions and advancing information that is informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I dont think these threads are helpful,
      That could really go for 95% of what is posted here.

I don't know. There really isn't a value to them but they bring a laugh. I think there is a difference between comparing someone to lurch and calling them a cow though. Maybe they need to just be in smack threads
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Go back and look at the thread in question. It is not a look a like thread. It is basically pointing out that the team coming to Frost has a big gal on the team and then goes on to provide other information. Do not confuse the two. Look-a-like threads shouldn't even be in this conversation.

I think the look-a-like threads are funny when the pictures are funny. Funny does not have to be mean. I think BHM has some maturity issues to deal with, but I thought he was a good contributor when he wanted to be.

Comment

After I voted I looked at this deal again. Who is to judge what is mean or not? Good grief ... get rid of it. Cheap laughs? At whose expense? It's always more fun laughing at someone else.

I really don't care if other schools do it or not. If they do, it doesn't make it right.

I've said it before, one of the things I hate about the internet is having people take cheap pot shots and doing it from the shadows.

Let's try to be a leader on civility.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Interesting discussion under the women's basketball section, prompted by a post about one of the IUPUI players. Some pointed out that we have had look-a-like threads in the football section. There has been debate about whether to criticize one and not the other is a double standard. There have been some sincere posts pointing out that the football look-a-like threads are inappropriate too.

Well, fellow posters, I'm guilty of contributing (and starting) some of the football look-a-like threads. They are quite common on many mesage boards. I thought they could be clever and hilarious and the clever ones were not necessarily derrogatory. Often a poster would show the similarity of an opposing team player to, for example, a well-liked actor or other famous person. Sure, there were many connections to "Lurch" or other characters on the Munsters etc.

I do not believe our few football look-a-like threads were very tough on anybody but at the same time, I think about another poster's reminder that we are talking about 18-22 year olds who are somebody's son or daughter.

I propose a poll on the subject. Perhaps the look-a-like threads will fade away.
            Let me ask everyone this. If the IUPUI woman was your daughter or sister what would you think?

The post about the IUPUI player crossed the line...big time. It had no reference to her looking like Opie Taylor or President Obama. The post didn't compare her to anyone......the poster took a direct shot at her appearance which in my opinion is wrong. No one here knows how comfortable she is with herself because quite frankly there are not many women in the world that size. We as SDSU fans should hold ourselves to a higher standard and respect the opposing team. There was none shown with that post.

FYI. She led her team in scoring last night and also played 36 minutes. I was shocked by the amount of time she played.

Comment

If we want to make fun of IUPUI, let's not poke fun of their players. Let's just follow somewhat-current events and hold a book-burning! LOL
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I think it all depends on the motive behind the thread.

The Look a like threads in the football section were all in good fun.

I don't see anything wrong with posting look a like pics, it's the nasty comments that came with the thread in question that bothered me.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                  That could really go for 95% of what is posted here.
                  Gee why do I bother coming here, to read and post if its of no value? I value what others say including eqguy's stuff. Look's like the thread choice of Yes is winning so really dont have to bother and view that particular thread if I choose not too. What is often missing is the look a like for the person making the brave post of putting someone else down. Maybe that should be a requirement to post your own look a like first. I am sure a lot of Brad Pitt pictures would appear.

Comment

Anyone remember back in the mid-80s when Augie had Darwin Clausen (sp?)? He was a tall, lanky, awkward center from Iowa and not often confused for Tom Cruise.

Whenever he was introduced or did something during the game, rather than boo, the student section (I was smack dab in the middle of it) would yell geeeek? Students would also hold up signs that said "Geek". Now that was harsh.

Sorry to drag things off-thread, again.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      Anyone remember back in the mid-80s when Augie had Darwin Clausen (sp?)? He was a tall, lanky, awkward center from Iowa and not often confused for Tom Cruise.

Whenever he was introduced or did something during the game, rather than boo, the student section (I was smack dab in the middle of it) would yell geeeek? Students would also hold up signs that said "Geek". Now that was harsh.

Sorry to drag things off-thread, again.
                      Yes I remember, and it had been years since I had been a student, but I do remember the rude treatment. Not a proud moment for SDSU. I believe he made a campus visit to SDSU during his recruitment period and had a farm background. So he came close to being a Jack and how would that have changed his treatment as a bb player?

Comment

I was the one that posted the first look-a-like thread in the fall with the sole purpose of having a little fun. There was no mean spirit intended. Personally I didn't take at anyhting more than fun but other look at things different.

There seems to be a mixed bag on how everyone is voting. Doesn't matter to me one way or another. If they are to continue they could easily be moved into the smack section. If you go into there then you can expect to find things you don't care for.

My plan is to take the high road and not start one. I apologize if anyone was offended.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

By the way the first I had ever heard of look a like threads was back when we played Texas State. It got around the locker room that their fan site had started the thread and everyone had a pretty good time laughing and giving each other some crap about the pictures selected.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Anybody ever heard the saying "sticks and stones....."

I got called everything from geek to spiderman to four-eyes by opposing fans. Newspaper articles often referred to me as "gangly"....because I am (at least I was). Didn't hurt me one bit, in fact, I turned it into motivation. Does anyone really believe that the comments are meant to directly injure the individual? Is it in poor taste? Thats a matter of personal judgment.

Last point, the more people on here talk about it the more it perpetuates any potential harm. Just ignore the comments you don't like and most of the time they go away.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Anybody ever heard the saying "sticks and stones....."

I got called everything from geek to spiderman to four-eyes by opposing fans. Newspaper articles often referred to me as "gangly"....because I am (at least I was). Didn't hurt me one bit, in fact, I turned it into motivation. Does anyone really believe that the comments are meant to directly injure the individual? Is it in poor taste? Thats a matter of personal judgment.

Last point, the more people on here talk about it the more it perpetuates any potential harm. Just ignore the comments you don't like and most of the time they go away.
                              I agree wholeheartedly. Any athlete worth his/her salt doesn't care about what fans say, especially (mostly) anonymous message board posters.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X