Jan-Feb magazine Ray Delori article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan-Feb magazine Ray Delori article

Just got my copy of the Jan-feb South Dakota magaizine in the mail. There is a great story written by the son of Coach Miles who coached a consolation championship at Gann Valley in the 1954-55 season. This is a neat story. I remember Gann Valley making the big dance of Class B, but not much else. This was before three classes, a ton of small schools and the big part of the climb was the district tourney usually three games and the Regional of two games. Making it to the State B was big in the 1950's.

Gann Valley is south east of Pierre, and near Fort Thompson. I remember Fort Thompson an all Native American team won the state B I believe in 1950, not sure. Shortly after the high school at Fort Thompson closed and the students from the reservation transferred to Gann Valley, a tiny town as described by the author. Ray Delori and Alfred St John boarded at the coaches home and were soon added to the bb team, that had a losing streak that started in 1942 and ended about a year after Coach Miles came to Gann Valley. There was resentment about the Native Americans being on a Eureopean American team. Coach Miles was told he would never be able to get his two teams, Native Americans and those of Eureopean descent to play together.

Well he did and they got to the state tournament and lost in the first round because those kids both Native and White were scared to death to play before 6000 people at the Huron Arena. Also a former Jackrabbit bb reserve is mentioned, LaRue Martin, from Selby. Gann Valley and Selby were favorites but both lost in the first round of the tourney. They met the next day in the loser brackets that often did not draw big crowd, but this game did. LaRue Martin from Selby matched up with the big Gann Valley center, named Speck. DeLori though was the showcase. LaRue played for Coach Iverson at SDSU, more as a role player, but had a great high school career at Selby.

Ray Delori was an unbelieveable ball handler and dazzled the fans all season long. The story ends with the last contact with Ray and his Coach. Ray, a US Army veteran, became part of the huge statistic of alchoholism that plagues the Native population. The author did not give a "where is he now?" report.

What occurred to me after reading the article is how important support systems are to student athletes. Those from middle-class and above have great strength here, but with poverty classes, this often is not true.

For this short time of one season, Ray had a support system in Coach Miles, and had no one else. Its a great story, Mr. Miles the coaches son did a great job in writing the story. If you get a chance. read this one.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 01-08-2009, 02:51 PM.

Re: Jan-Feb magazine Ray Delori article

I was a little disappointed that someone did not comment on this article. Maybe we dont have time to read The South Dakota Magazine. Its a fine publication.

Nevertheless, I was at the South Dakota Magazine site looking for a link to this article, but found none. However Bernie Hunoff did a blog on the article in January and he received a few comments.

Here is the linke to the magazine blog and the comments. I wish the entire article was available, but I think they still want to sell a magazine or two.

http://www.southdakotamagazine.com/e...ook.php?p=2487

Comment

Watch for the March/April issue. We got quite a few letters to the editor about that story and they are all published in the next magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjackrabbit View Post
        Watch for the March/April issue. We got quite a few letters to the editor about that story and they are all published in the next magazine.
        Thanks I will be watching for the March/April issue. I enjoy SD Magazine, and yes we can't always be on the sidelines, when human dignity is involved.

Comment

I should mention for fans of South Dakota Magazine, we now have a presence on Facebook. Check it out and become a Facebook fan, if you like.

Comment

What is the connection between the Gann Valley Coach Miles and Coach Tim Miles at Colorado State, and NDSU and SWState prior to that. I do know they were both natives of Doland.

Comment

I should mention for fans of South Dakota Magazine, we now have a presence on Facebook. Check it out and become a Facebook fan, if you like.
              I just got my March/April issue today and the first section I went to was the letters to the editor. I see the Coach Q.C Miles, the father and coach is very much still living and living in Watertown. I thought the most touching letter written was by one of Coaches former students who talked about Coach Mills being a great algebra teacher and that two memebers on the team went on to be successful engineers. These little towns in South Dakota are so full of interesting history and seems like back in the 1950's so many of those struggling small high school seem to have, not always, but sometimes some very dedicated and thorough teachers. Offers of better pay often pulled them away to better and larger schools.

Good old Sinai who closed their doors after 1961 year ended and where most of my older brothers and sisters attended had some real imcompentents for teachers but they also had very good ones like Dennis Wollemdorf's father Virgil. A great adminstrator and teacher, who left for Wessington Springs. Another that comes to mind that was also a good coach was Edwin Bye who came to Sinai from Yale, near Huron. These people are probably just names, but like Q C Mills were very dedicated educators and their students never forget them.

Also its interesting that the article was incorrect in reporting that the star of the team Ray Deloris left school as soon as the State Tourney was over. Ray did however return to school the following year and graduated, but did not play basketball. Also the letter to the editor author reported that Ray lost his life in auto accident at a very early age after high school.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 02-26-2009, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                What is the connection between the Gann Valley Coach Miles and Coach Tim Miles at Colorado State, and NDSU and SWState prior to that. I do know they were both natives of Doland.
                Possibly they are blood relatives, I do not know for sure. It would not surprise me if they were. QC Miles has to be in his 80's since he was a WWII veteran. Both Tim and QC seem to have passion and dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                  A response to our blog post about the story last month said John Miles, the author of the article and Q.C.'s son, is a cousin to Tim Miles.

Comment

A response to our blog post about the story last month said John Miles, the author of the article and Q.C.'s son, is a cousin to Tim Miles.
                    Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X