New Arena at USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Arena at USD

I purposely placed this title in the smack section as I have a pretty good idea it will come to that. But, I must be living in a cave lately. Is USD testing the waters on building a new facility for basketball? Can someone fill me in?

Re: New Arena at USD

really? wonder where that money will come from.

Comment

Money laundering and selling illegal drugs.

Most likely, anyways.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I have not heard from any credible source that USD is planning on building a new basketball/volleyball facility anytime soon. Obviously money is a factor but that would be a mistake in my opinion. I heard Joel Nielson mention that UNI played as a D1 school with a combined football/baskeball facility for many years before building their rather new basketball facility. I have heard UNI mentioned as a model for USD more than once by Nielson. If that is the case it could be another 15-20 years before USD builds a new facility. I am not saying it will be that long, just that it could be. It certainly better not be that long as far as I am concerned.
        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
          I have not heard from any credible source that USD is planning on building a new basketball/volleyball facility anytime soon. Obviously money is a factor but that would be a mistake in my opinion. I heard Joel Nielson mention that UNI played as a D1 school with a combined football/baskeball facility for many years before building their rather new basketball facility. I have heard UNI mentioned as a model for USD more than once by Nielson. If that is the case it could be another 15-20 years before USD builds a new facility. I am not saying it will be that long, just that it could be. It certainly better not be that long as far as I am concerned.
          Not smacking at all here, but for your guys' sake, I hope it isn't that long. The atmosphere as a basketball arena certainly lacks in the dome for the fans that sit way up in the nosebleeds. Can't really say the same for Frost, IMO. Not a bad seat in the house. Hope plans come together faster than 20 years down the road, especially if we end up in the same conference.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I talked to some people and they said that they want to get there wellness center or whatever the building they plan on building up first and take care of scholarships then an arena...

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
              I purposely placed this title in the smack section as I have a pretty good idea it will come to that. But, I must be living in a cave lately. Is USD testing the waters on building a new facility for basketball? Can someone fill me in?
              The first I read anything at all suggesting a new facility for basketball was when I visited Bisonville and viewed the thread (started 1/6/09) about the Summit League visiting USD. In that thread, Yote 53 states: "...Many new buildings have been built, we'll be breaking ground on a Student HYPER center here pretty soon, after that the plan calls for some additional dorms to be constructed, then a new basketball arena."

That caught my attention but then I concluded that it's nothing much more concrete than stating 'plans for the future'. In the same sense, we could say that there are plans calling for Coughlin to someday be a 25,000-seat venue.

All it takes is one big donor showing up, checkbook in hand, wanting to build a new building.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                The first I read anything at all suggesting a new facility for basketball was when I visited Bisonville and viewed the thread (started 1/6/09) about the Summit League visiting USD. In that thread, Yote 53 states: "...Many new buildings have been built, we'll be breaking ground on a Student HYPER center here pretty soon, after that the plan calls for some additional dorms to be constructed, then a new basketball arena."

That caught my attention but then I concluded that it's nothing much more concrete than stating 'plans for the future'. In the same sense, we could say that there are plans calling for Coughlin to someday be a 25,000-seat venue.

All it takes is one big donor showing up, checkbook in hand, wanting to build a new building.
                I guess I better get out my checkbook ;-)
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Actually, I think a new bb/vb facility has been included in the long-range section of the capital plan for some time.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    Actually, I think a new bb/vb facility has been included in the long-range section of the capital plan for some time.
                    That has been my understanding from conversations with several prominent USD boosters. However, when I've asked for concrete details no one can provide them. I think its somewhat akin to the rumors that first surfaced 10 years ago about developing the east side of CAS. It is desired and in the ideal set of plans but its not a reality.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

That's what I figured, mostly rumor. In Mick Garry's live chat yesterday, he referenced a new facility. I suppose it's along the lines of when SDSU announced the desire for a wellness center in the early '90s. It took 10-12 years before it finally happened.

And, no state money went into the facility.

Comment

Hasn't everyone heard? USD is already playing in their new basketball facility. Its called the Vermillion high school gym.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Hasn't everyone heard? USD is already playing in their new basketball facility. Its called the Vermillion high school gym.
                          Bu-dump, Ching!
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Absolutely priceless!!!

All kidding aside, I haven't been to the VHS Gym (a.k.a. the Little Dump) to know the capacity but there can't be any way that it isn't a better place to watch a basketball game the Dakota Dump. I wonder if VHS is on the tour list for the Summitt League?

Only at USD!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I gotta admit I do get a laugh out of the smack comments about the VHS gym. The biggest problem with the dome is it's an all or nothing solution for USD athletics and when there are conflicting events the lesser important ones are going to have to move. I would think that USD would want to consider playing some of those games in the Summit Center in Yankton which is a very nice high school facility. I live in Sioux Falls and during nice weather I wouldn't mind driving the extra 20 miles or so to see games in that building vs in the dome.
                              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                              X