Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League to Visit USD

Here is the Argus article

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Summit League to Visit USD

Oh crap, and the floodgates open....

Comment

Maybe they need someone to replace Centenary....

Comment

Here is the Summit League press release:

http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...ATCLID=3640987

Agreed...let the floodgates open. This will be interesting to say the least.

Comment

IMO it would be a good thing for USD and UND to join the Summit. Now that I've said that, feel free to fire away USD haters.

Comment

If the majority of Summit League institutions feel USD or UND or both are in the best interest of the league and they meet the criteria to be included an offer should be considered. Would USD or UND accept? I don't know that for sure, I suspect they would unless another conference offer is or is expected to be on the table. They formed the Great West athletic conference or scheduling alliance, whatever you want to call it, understanding that any program with a chance to move to a more established conference would do so. Here is a possible option.

What are the positives? I think they are substantial. Good institutions with a history that included one another and geographically a better fit than Centenary.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Any word on their U Mate? IMHO, the Sioux offer much better programs in more sports than USD. If they're going to look at one, I'd prefer to see both.

I know that they didn't select UVSU last time but if SUU is to remain a part of the Summit, they REALLY need a western mate. Having UMKC/SUU as the travel partners is NOT a pretty partnership.

Comment

IMHO it makes TOO MUCH SCHEDULING sense to have the 4 Dakota schools in one conference together to ignore.

I was expecting them to wait longer before making such a move though.

The primary concern I have about adding them into the Summit is would this essentially require that the Summit create and sponsor a football conference as it would lead to having 6 Summit League schools sponsoring 63 schollie FCS ball (currently two FCS conferences)?

Comment

Could it be a USD/Chicago State combination? The lack of any other site visit announcements is kind of odd(weren't NDSU's, SDSU's & IPFW's all announced on the same day?). I doubt the Summit presidents would require a full site visit from CSU since they were members until recently. Unless more visits are announced this week, I'm leaning that way.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                    IMHO it makes TOO MUCH SCHEDULING sense to have the 4 Dakota schools in one conference together to ignore.

I was expecting them to wait longer before making such a move though.

The primary concern I have about adding them into the Summit is would this essentially require that the Summit create and sponsor a football conference as it would lead to having 6 Summit League schools sponsoring 63 schollie FCS ball (currently two FCS conferences)?
                    If the later is true, than you know why there is only one site visit. The League knows NDSU, SDSU, and WIU would block any chance of threatening their status in the MVFC. Since USD is a much better basketball and geography option they get the visit.

Comment

I think it is very interesting that there wasn't a simoultaneous announcement about visiting UND, but then I don't think USD and UND have ever had the joint effort relationship of SDSU and NDSU. There is some speculation on the NDSU board about UND's status but nothing I can find on the UND board. How would travel partners work if USD was admitted and not UND. Would NDSU and SDSU remain partners and USD grouped with UMKC or SUU dependent upon who else might be added. SDSU and NDSU are only about 60miles further apart than SDSU and USD and isolating NDSU by itself wouldn't make sense. Sort of like IPFW and IUPUI are closer to each other than to their travel partners but putting Oakland and WIU together doesn't make sense.

I don't see this as a first step toward Summit League Football.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                        Could it be a USD/Chicago State combination? The lack of any other site visit announcements is kind of odd(weren't NDSU's, SDSU's & IPFW's all announced on the same day?). I doubt the Summit presidents would require a full site visit from CSU since they were members until recently. Unless more visits are announced this week, I'm leaning that way.
                        Actually, this makes more sense. Consolidate in the mid-west, and USD becomes UMKC travel partner (about 5 hours apart on I-29). Chicago/Detroit for stops. Pair IUPU's. ORU/Centenary, xDSU's stay together. Oops, forgot WIU.....

It's only a site visit, and I do hope before bringing in more teams that kill Summit League ability to stay eligible for NCAA BB tourney (main reason to be in a league), that they are looking at those schools who are already core members. Chicago St., UTPA, Savannah St are the ONLY 3 of the existing availables who fit the bill. Just a reminder SDSU/NDSU aren't CORE until 2016/17! Which ever year, USD/UND are another 4 years after that.

Comment

Might this action be a pre-emptive strike to a real or imagined threat to the Summit that the SUs might be MVC bound when their current commitments to the Summit expire?

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            Actually, this makes more sense. Consolidate in the mid-west, and USD becomes UMKC travel partner (about 5 hours apart on I-29). Chicago/Detroit for stops. Pair IUPU's. ORU/Centenary, xDSU's stay together. Oops, forgot WIU.....
                            USD would probably pair with WIU. That would allow UMKC to pair with ORU, IUPUI with IPFW, CSU with OU, and stick the worst trips together in SUU and Cent. NDSU & SDSU stay together, of course. This all assumes a single 12-team division and not a 6-team, two division conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              Might this action be a pre-emptive strike to a real or imagined threat to the Summit that the SUs might be MVC bound when their current commitments to the Summit expire?
                              Interesting point that I hadn't considered. I'm sure the Summit is aware of it and I think the first year of MVC football opened some eyes from those institutions about the XDSU's. What was the initial commitment made to the Summit when we joined? 5 years?

Comment

Working...
                              X