Computer advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer advise

Time to upgrade the old clunker before it crashes. Anyone bought a home desktop recently? Anyone find any good online resources to help find the best 'puter to meet my needs -- email, surfing, music, digital photos and video of the kids. I like speed and power. Dell? Acer? HP? Best prices?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jacksfaninne; 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Re: Computer advise

Try these links:

http://www.pcworld.com/products/computers/desktops.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktop-computer-buying-guide/
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
      Time to upgrade the old clunker before it crashes. Anyone bought a home desktop recently? Anyone find any good online resources to help find the best 'puter to meet my needs -- email, surfing, music, digital photos and video of the kids. I like speed and power. Dell? Acer? HP? Best prices?

Thanks.
      Dude, I got a Dell laptop. I called um up and told um what i was lookin at and wanting and they were able to help me build it for what i need. Pretty happy with it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post

Thanks.
        Personally, I'd go with a Mac you can get word and what not for it, just takes a while to get use to. But if you want a PC I know Dell lets you customize what you are looking for.

Comment

Your biggest issue will be technical support, and out of the most common names(Dell, Gateway, HP), HP is hands-down the best with their technical support. Have had a HP desktop for over a year and nothing has gone wrong yet. Have had a Dell desktop AND laptop that I have needed to call for support, send in parts, and get an all new laptop(which took over 2 months and several calls) and Gateway is certainly in a similar boat as Dell. HP has been known to have the best tech support for the past number of years.

Other than that, part by part, you are looking at around the same price for all three, specifically if you are looking at pre-built machines. With all the gadgets included these days, there is really no reason to customize like there was 5 years ago. They already have several different price ranges for different users.

Comment

Stay away from Gateway anything...they can't get parts amongst other issues...like bancruptcy. Dell is alright and will lead on deals/price, but HP leads the pack for service and lack of need for it. Most of their pc's are tool-less to take apart and are easy to work on.
            “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Apple always wins ratings for technical support and build quality. Slightly more expensive, but you can run Windows and Mac OS X on the same machine. Can't do that on a PC.

Apple will have a new Mac Mini, their $500 desktop machine, coming out in a couple of weeks. If you're considering the switch, that's a good machine. Buy it at an Apple Store and they'll transfer all your files and old Windows operating system from your old PC onto your new Mac. You can run Windows or Mac OS X one at a time, or run both at the same time by purchasing a $79 piece of software (VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop) that lets you run Windows full speed in a window on your Mac. On those odd occasions when I need to run Windows, I just start up VMWare Fusion and it works like a charm.

Macs are gaining tremendously in popularity as people run away from Vista (and generally from the virus and spyware of the Windows world.) I'll bet there were 40 or 50 students in my 210 student class using Macs. Did I mention there are no viruses or spyware on the Mac? It's true. We have 100 Macs running on our floor in Yeager Hall and the IT people tell me they don't worry about us at all. We're one big safe zone on campus. And we don't run any virus software on them. Lastly, I would add that IT provides zero support hours to our floor. I support all 100 computers, and it takes me about 20 minutes a semester to keep them running.

Before all the Mac bashers start posting. I'm not a PC basher. I have used XP and Vista extensively and like them. I find both platforms have their good and bad points. In this post, I'm talking about the good things about Macs.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Apple always wins ratings for technical support and build quality. Slightly more expensive, but you can run Windows and Mac OS X on the same machine. Can't do that on a PC.

Apple will have a new Mac Mini, their $500 desktop machine, coming out in a couple of weeks. If you're considering the switch, that's a good machine. Buy it at an Apple Store and they'll transfer all your files and old Windows operating system from your old PC onto your new Mac. You can run Windows or Mac OS X one at a time, or run both at the same time by purchasing a $79 piece of software (VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop) that lets you run Windows full speed in a window on your Mac. On those odd occasions when I need to run Windows, I just start up VMWare Fusion and it works like a charm.

Macs are gaining tremendously in popularity as people run away from Vista (and generally from the virus and spyware of the Windows world.) I'll bet there were 40 or 50 students in my 210 student class using Macs. Did I mention there are no viruses or spyware on the Mac? It's true. We have 100 Macs running on our floor in Yeager Hall and the IT people tell me they don't worry about us at all. We're one big safe zone on campus. And we don't run any virus software on them. Lastly, I would add that IT provides zero support hours to our floor. I support all 100 computers, and it takes me about 20 minutes a semester to keep them running.

Before all the Mac bashers start posting. I'm not a PC basher. I have used XP and Vista extensively and like them. I find both platforms have their good and bad points. In this post, I'm talking about the good things about Macs.
                I second this. And I spent 20+ years supporting and working in PC/Windows desktop environments before switching to a Mac. Couldn't be happier (and my inner techie loves the fact that the MacOS is a Unix variant!).
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks this is very good information. This moves me in the direction of Apple and Mac the next time around. I have an acquaintence in Norway, who swears by Mac. He is a very sharp guy and up on Skpe and all that good stuff. An no, he not up on the latest Norweigian Jokes, in fact they are not funny to him. So we discuss other matters like the incoming POTUS.

I bought a HP lab top maybe 2 or 3 years ago. And do my own carelessness of eating around the computer, I needed to replace the keyboard when it was still under manufacture warrenty. In my case HP had already started making another type of keyboard and the one I needed was no longer available. HP junked out my computer and gave me a new one free of charge. I fortunately had a back up device and Harvey Donley, local guy in Brookings got that to work. What complicated matters is the backup was done using XP and trying to restore in Vista, did not seem to work. Harvey removed Vista and reinstalled XP, but in the process my video camera for Skpe does not work so need to use an external camera. This getting way off the path, but thanks again for your take on Mac, JimmyJack.

Comment

Cannot agree more. I have worked with both Apple and Windows machines and the decision should not even take a minute. I also worked for Gateway at a time when they were actually doing quite well and it was winning all the customer service ratings. I had the opportunity to switch over at very reasonable UPFRONT costs. Never considered it. Down time, costs of add on items that are included with Macs, etc. brought the total costs right in line. 1996 was the last time that I had a problem with compatability issues.

Now the switch is so much easier than it ever has been, and it never was that difficult, I really would recommend getting a Mac. You will be happier, and how much is that worth?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

100 percent agreed. I use the macs in Yeager hall on a regular basis and never had a problem with them and have had all sorts of problem with my Dell at home, as soon as I buy a new computer, its going to be macbook pro more than likely

Comment

Can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. People actually 'prefer' those things? I've been forced to use a mac once in a while and felt stupid trying to figure out how to do even the simplest things.

I'm going to try to avoid debating or smacking the goods and evils of either - I'm just surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
                          Can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. People actually 'prefer' those things? I've been forced to use a mac once in a while and felt stupid trying to figure out how to do even the simplest things.

I'm going to try to avoid debating or smacking the goods and evils of either - I'm just surprised.
                          See I had problems with them right away too, but they are really basic and easy to use after awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post

That's because you are just a simple caveman and all of our advanced computers frighten you
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              That's because you are just a simple caveman and all of our advanced computers frighten you

Simple? Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't a mac mouse only handle one button at a time?

A mouse can do so much more on a PC...

*said i'd TRY to avoid any debate / smack... just like religion, politics, and the marker, this thread is prolly destined for a meltdown, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X