NCC is gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCC is gone

Argus did an article on the top stories for 2008. Note the photo Mick Garry used with the story. Probably could have found another one than this one. Mick trying to keep the fires going again...

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...NTPAGECAROUSEL

Re: NCC is gone

I was extremely disappointed, but not overly surprised, by their choice of photos. The paper has to have hundreds of photos they could have used, and they choose this one???

Comment

What's interesting to me about the choice of the death of the NCC as the "top sports story" for the year is that it really reflects only the USD perspective. No SDSU fans (and there seem to be a lot more of us if you go by the Argus' recommendation numbers) are sitting around pining over the end of the NCC. Augie fans are, from what I hear from them, ecstatic with the NSIC. And I suspect that if there are a few USD fans feeling nostalgic about the NCC, that will end as they get further into transition. So who thinks this is the biggest sports story of the year? Somebody on the Argus sports staff does (note Mick didn't write the story). And that's about it.

And that photo... is it any wonder we don't miss that stupid stuff? "Hate State"? Whatever.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
        I was extremely disappointed, but not overly surprised, by their choice of photos. The paper has to have hundreds of photos they could have used, and they choose this one???
        I am also dissapointed in the selection of this photo. Could have shown a shot of a State-U game right before tipoff that showed the crowd and how people came out for those games. They didn't have to show the ugly side of it. Poor taste AL.

Comment

Ahhhhh, why should anyone be surprised by that in the Argus. Are those the t-shirts raking a shot at Dr. Oien? Also, isn't that also the game when the infamous locker room incident?

I agree with JimmyJack in that it is written from the USD perspective. SDSU has moved on and that picture is the embodiment of why I am perfectly happy to have moved on.

NCC rest in peace!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

You couldn't have found a picture to better solidify the causal SDSU fan's determination to never, ever play USD again. I note quite well that it's a picture of the last visit of the SDSU women's basketball team to the Dome.

Talk about rubbing our noses in it.

Because the picture can be reasonably assumed to represent the Argus' editorial stance, a rational conclusion is that the Argus Leader condones and approves what was done to our women's basketball team during their last visit to the Dome.

If I had a subscription to the Argus, I'd cancel it over this picture. (Sorry, TV.)
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              Are those the t-shirts raking a shot at Dr. Oien?
              Yes, those are the t-shirts...Classy, Mick, great coice of a photo, not!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                Yes, those are the t-shirts...Classy, Mick, great choice of a photo, not!
                Mick didn't pick the picture. The Argus sports editors did. Either Whitney or the assistant editor . . . what's his name . . . Klinski?

When you cancel your Argus subscription, tell them why.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree with all that's posted here. Imagine the shocked look on my mother's face when I brought home the use of the word c-nt after hearing many USD students using the word at my first USD-SDSU game when I was 7. I still remember the taste of that soap. There was a lot bitterness on the part of USD students in that 'rivalry'

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    You couldn't have found a picture to better solidify the causal SDSU fan's determination to never, ever play USD again. I note quite well that it's a picture of the last visit of the SDSU women's basketball team to the Dome.

Talk about rubbing our noses in it.

Because the picture can be reasonably assumed to represent the Argus' editorial stance, a rational conclusion is that the Argus Leader condones and approves what was done to our women's basketball team during their last visit to the Dome.

If I had a subscription to the Argus, I'd cancel it over this picture. (Sorry, TV.)
                    I have been out of SD for over 30 years. Born in Brookings and will always be proud to call SD home. I was raised a fan of SDSU especially against USD. I have thought these discussions re. playing USD again kind of silly. I however agree with Filbert wholeheartedly that this photo is a slap in the face of anyone associated with SDSU. I have disliked the Argus for a long time for various reasons now it only solidifies why I hate that paper other than Terry V.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Mick didn't pick the picture. The Argus sports editors did. Either Whitney or the assistant editor . . . what's his name . . . Klinski?

When you cancel your Argus subscription, tell them why.
                      I had Klinski as a teacher at SDSU, he seems very reasonable, I doubt he picked the picture. Sure he went to USD but from what I got from him, he thinks some of the things done at USD and SDSU were ridiculous

Comment

When my wife and I signed up last year for the Argus we told them it was to follow TV and his coverage of the Jackrabbits. I tried to cancel this morning but the office closed before I called. I will definitely let them know the reason why. My whole family is pretty disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre_Jacks_Fan View Post
                          When my wife and I signed up last year for the Argus we told them it was to follow TV and his coverage of the Jackrabbits. I tried to cancel this morning but the office closed before I called. I will definitely let them know the reason why. My whole family is pretty disappointed.
                          When you call... you're talking to somebody in Louisville. They handle circulation for Sioux Falls. They haven't outsourced that part of their operation to India... yet.

I'm just disappointed in the choice of THAT picture to illustrate the better days of the NCC. Those Argus guys, all of them who were there during those NCC years, just fail to understand how little interest in any of that stuff exists up here. I wouldn't mind playing USD again, but when I see that picture, I remember all the ugliness and think maybe I can live without it.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Part of me doubts that much thought went into that photo selection.

They probably wanted a shot that said 'rivalry' and the best they could come up with was a real classless act by a bunch of USD students.

Man, for me the USD/SDSU thing wasn't about college students making jackasses out of themselves, it was about big crowds, loud noise, and so forth.

It's also about pranks. Back in the 60s a bunch of Augie students went to a hardware store and bought a bunch of "M" stickers, drove up to Brookings and put the "M"s over the "B"s on all the HOBO DAYS bumper stickers. Now that's funny.

But geez, I don't know, maybe the distinction between funny and crass is lost on today's college student.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Part of me doubts that much thought went into that photo selection.
                              I would disagree. Lots of thought goes into color photos on section covers.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X