Vikings Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vikings Stadium

It looks like the Vikings may be giving up on the Blaine site since most of the land has been designated as wetlands. I still cannot figure out why the Gophers and Vikings couldn't use the same stadium, where ever it is located. Here is an update from the Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15077624.htm

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Vikings Stadium

But maybe the aren't going anywhere else, I see a fence that someone is straddling.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/564707.html

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think Zygi is covering his bases so he can't be accused of abandoning Minneapolis. The escalating construction costs are the biggest problem, IMO. The cost for the new Meadowlands stadium (which would be used by two NFL teams) is now well over a billion dollars. I'm guessing that a retractable roof stadium (a necessity if Zygi wants money from Anoka County) for the Vikes will cost around $800 million by next year.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/54473.php?

I doubt the Metrodome could be renovated to meet Zygi's specifications and the new Gophers stadium will be way too small (capacity and boxes) for the Vikings. My best guess is that they end up building an open-air stadium next to the 'Dome and renovating the 'Dome to continue serving as a multi-use facility for concerts, monster truck rallies, high school FB championships, and so forth. The two buidlings would likely be connected by a hotel and/or other businesses.....

Comment

I think the best location would be at the MN State Fair grounds as they are looking at taking down the grandstand area anyway. This borders the campus so would be as much of on campus stadium as they are going with now, and I believe closer to more of the dorms. If they would combine the stadiums and build big enough for the Vikes, the Gophers could still use it. I think that for at least the first year the Gophs would fill it, then it would depend on the team. One stadium has to cost less than two, and at most they would have 4 weekends when doubled up on games, but they wouldn't even be the same day.

Comment

I can't see why anyone would want to go to a concert in the Metrodome. The accoustics there are horrible. It's hard to hear the band unless you are right in front of them, due to the echoes. I doubt the Metrodome will survive without a major tenant. It's expensive to keep that roof inflated.

It was the Vikings who decided that a joint stadium would not meet their needs. The Vikings wanted a whole lot more stadium than the Gophers wanted, and the Gophers playing in Anoka county was just not an option. It's likely that if there were a joint stadium, the Gophers would become the tenant, even if officially it was a University of Minnesota facility. Besides, the Vikings would likely want a new new stadium in 30 years anyway.

Comment

If the State said we are going to put $X million dollars into one stadium, the rest would have fallen into place. Anoka really would never have been a serious option, Zygi could have gotten his development in the area around the areas that were considered.

Also, the Vikes pulled out because the U said that they HAD to have complete control over skyboxes, security, concessions, parking, etc. even on the 11 days the Vikes had games. The even said there was no reason they should not be able to hold an event on Monday during the day if there was a Monday night game scheduled. The Vikes were willing to be a tenant, but not on those terms. As for a new stadium in 30 years, well, the U started screaming for a new home long before the Vikes did.

Comment

I think you have it backwards, the Vikings have been demanding a new stadium a lot longer than the Gophers have. The Vikings would have been a tenant in name only. It's likely that if the Vikings became a "tenant" of a Gophers stadium that the same situation that exists currently at the Metrodome would exist with the new stadium - most of the money being pumped to the Vikings. The Gophers were only stuck in the Metrodome because they got thrown under the bus to satisfy the Vikings. It would have been far cheaper to renovate Memorial Stadium, but that wouldn't provide a revenue stream for the Vikings.

And why shouldn't the Gophers be able to have an event in the day when there is a Monday night game? Day and night are times as different as, well, day and night. The Gophers have been thrown out of the Metrodome a number of times because of Twins games.

Comment

Actually the Metrodome was about 5 or 6 years old when the U first started talking about getting back to an on-campus stadium. I agree with you that the old stadium shouldn't have been left. I'm not sure I agree with you on the U getting thrown under on the Metro dome deal, you can find many quotes from the U and their major donors about how the Dome was the ultimate recruiting tool and it would get them to multiple Rose Bowls. The dome was built for football, and while the Vikings did get a lot of the revenue at the start, their current share of revenues have been continually renegotiated and have actually moved money from the Twins, Gophers & Met Sports Council (or whatever they are called) to the Vikes.

The last joint stadium proposal was that the U owned the stadium. The Vikes were interested because it was going to significantly reduce the amount of money they were going to put into it. The U said it would not release control of the facility on any dates, to the extent the Vikes thought it was better to put a a hundred million more of their own money into the deal. Think how much nicer the new Gopher stadium would be if that was added to the budget.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

Maybe if the Viqueens would pull there heads out and actually compete for a title, then people would be up for building a new stadium. Instead, they go party on boats and get picked up for DUI. 0 superbowl championships = no new stadium from the tax payers. Boohoo sniffle sniffle :'(

Comment

Working...
                  X